What's new

UNIVERSAL VAULT QUESTION (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
t1g3r5fan said:
This is no April Fool's joke - I just happened to pick up a copy of Universal's 8-film western collection exclusive to Walmart for $5 and three of the titles are previously released Universal Vault titles! They are Quantez, Seminole, and Gun for a Coward; the other 5 titles - The Redhead from Wyoming, The Lawless Breed, War Arrow, The Man from the Alamo, and Canyon Passage - were previously released in other titles or as standalone titles, but I felt like I needed to pass this interesting bit of information along.
Online or in the store? If store: dump bin or shelf?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Found it on the shelf as well. Haven't checked the quality yet, but they are stuffing 4 movies on one side of a dual layer disc, for a total of two discs. They're bound to have compression issues.

My question is does anyone know when this was released? It just sort of snuck out there, as far as I can tell.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
mdnitoil said:
Found it on the shelf as well. Haven't checked the quality yet, but they are stuffing 4 movies on one side of a dual layer disc, for a total of two discs. They're bound to have compression issues.

My question is does anyone know when this was released? It just sort of snuck out there, as far as I can tell.

It sounds like these are going to look really bad (squeezing 4 flicks on one side of a DVD), but I'd be interested to hear what those who have purchased this set think of the quality. Not optimistic. :wacko:

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Everything's so far has been a touch soft but watchable. Did some spot checking and it's not as awful as you'd think. I wouldn't want to project this on a big screen, but it's okay on modest displays. One plus is every feature has English subtitles, so the three Vault titles are now subtitled. There's a total of 11 hours of material, so an average of 5.5 hours per dual layer disc.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
The WESTERNS set has been out for two years now. There is also a WAR set from Universal which includes some titles previously available only on MOD. That one has also been available for close to two years. There used to be threads about these releases somewhere on this site.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The 10-movie Universal set released a couple years back contains THE VIRGINIAN ('46), TEXAS RANGERS RIDE AGAIN, THE SPOILERS, WHEN THE DALTONS RODE, ALBUQUERQUE, WHISPERING SMITH, COMANCHE TERRITORY, SIERRA, KANSAS RAIDERS and TOMAHAWK.

The new 8-movie set that's a Wal-Mart exculsive contains 3 films that have only been available through the Universal Vault collection. They are SEMINOLE with Rock Hudson and Anthony Quinn and 2 Fred MacMurray westerns, QUANTEZ and GUN FOR A COWARD. The other five titles have been previously available as solo releases or on other collections. They are THE LAWLESS BREED, WAR ARROW, CANYON PASSAGE, THE MAN FROM THE ALAMO and THE REDHEAD FROM WYOMING.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
RBailey said:
The 10-movie Universal set released a couple years back contains THE VIRGINIAN ('46), TEXAS RANGERS RIDE AGAIN, THE SPOILERS, WHEN THE DALTONS RODE, ALBUQUERQUE, WHISPERING SMITH, COMANCHE TERRITORY, SIERRA, KANSAS RAIDERS and TOMAHAWK.

The new 8-movie set that's a Wal-Mart exculsive contains 3 films that have only been available through the Universal Vault collection. They are SEMINOLE with Rock Hudson and Anthony Quinn and 2 Fred MacMurray westerns, QUANTEZ and GUN FOR A COWARD. The other five titles have been previously available as solo releases or on other collections. They are THE LAWLESS BREED, WAR ARROW, CANYON PASSAGE, THE MAN FROM THE ALAMO and THE REDHEAD FROM WYOMING.

Thanks! I stand corrected!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, I was just trying to find a release date for the new set for a DVD Profiler entry, but I'm coming up empty. About the only clue I get is the 2015 copyright, which narrows it down to the first three months.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I finally found that 8 Western set on the WM site (link on image):

It's $12.73 online. They show no store in my town having any copies (and the closest that does would cost more in time/gas than the extra ~$8 for online w/store pickup) but since some have reported it in the dump bin I may do more looking first. I looked at one store this morning only to not find it on the shelf - I didn't have time to dig through the dump bin so... Still it would only by ~$1.75/film ordered which is more than worth the price.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Universal has this 8-movie set scheduled for May 2015. Amazon already has it for preorder. Guessing, as with the above-discussed "Westerns" set, WalMart and/or similar b&m's will carry it too.

btw - I have two local WalMarts, and each has the "Westerns" set in the $5 bin, and in the $5 shelved section.

DVDWartimeComedies.jpg

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
This will undoubtedly show up at Sam's Club as well as Walmart and maybe even Costco, cheaper than Amazon will carry it. I made the mistake of preordering the Universal War set two years ago at Amazon only to see it show up at both Sam's and Costco for $5 cheaper than what I paid. Last time Sam's had the War set, it had a better cover than the one I bought, using original poster art, and was selling for $4.99. So unless you're in a hurry, it might be a good idea to wait.

I have all the westerns on this new set except for the previously released MODS that are included, so I'm going to be patient.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Brent S said:
Universal has this 8-movie set scheduled for May 2015. Amazon already has it for preorder. Guessing, as with the above-discussed "Westerns" set, WalMart and/or similar b&m's will carry it too.

btw - I have two local WalMarts, and each has the "Westerns" set in the $5 bin, and in the $5 shelved section.

DVDWartimeComedies.jpg
Do you mind sharing the Amazon link? I've looked and can't find it.

FWIW the smaller WM here didn't have it on the shelf *or* in the dump bin. That leaves little hope the larger will have it in the dumb bin as they tend to duplicate that product more than what's on the shelf.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
It's interesting to see how a topic morphs from the original post or question. I'm always reminded of Norman Rockwell's famous Saturday Evening Post cover "The Gossip Chain". Check out my two questions that started this chain to see what I mean ...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brent S said:

Thanks, just pre-ordered it.

This set is essentially a must-own for anyone who wants a R1 release of The Private War of Major Benson. As far as I know, Universal never gave this a North American release until now.

The choice of the Francis movie is a bit odd. One would think they'd go with the first one. Hopefully Francis Joins the WACs is in its proper OAR now, but I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks