What's new

UNIVERSAL VAULT QUESTION (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Okay, another question to which I hope someone has an answer. Actually, two.

1) I can't find anyplace to ask a question of Universal Vault, as I can with the Warner Archive on Facebook. Any place that I might have missed?

2) I was just reading about the silent movie version of BROADWAY, with its amazing crane shots. Does anyone know if this is on Universal Vault's list of upcoming (or even hinted at) releases?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
PODER said:
Okay, another question to which I hope someone has an answer.

2) I was just reading about the silent movie version of BROADWAY, with its amazing crane shots. Does anyone know if this is on Universal Vault's list of upcoming (or even hinted at) releases?

Actually Broadway is already available via the Criterion collection.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Thomas ... I can't find any listing for BROADWAY through Criterion. And I have everything they've issued. Could you supply the Criterion Spine Number, please?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Number 623. It's an extra with LONESOME. It's the reconstructed sound version of BROADWAY, whose last reel was missing. The sound disc was found and synchronized perfectly with the extant silent reel.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
What Bujaki said. In my hastiness, I forgot to mention that it's a bonus feature on the Lonesome disc along with Last Performance with Conrad Veidt. All three films being directed by Paul Fejos.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Wonderful. I hadn't noticed that. Many many thanks! That'll be tonight's viewing.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Universal tossed all their silents back around 1950. They didn't even keep elements on Phantom of the Opera. So don't look for them to release any silent films.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
JoeDoakes: Unbelievably sad to learn that. I continue to hold out hopes that some of them may yet surface, however.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
PODER said:
JoeDoakes: Unbelievably sad to learn that. I continue to hold out hopes that some of them may yet surface, however.
Prints do turn up here an there, but the lack of quality elements is the biggest problem and, of course, a lot of Universal silents (even from the late 20s) are believed lost.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Many of them only survive as 16mm "Show at Home" prints released in the '20s and '30s. They're excellent quality for 16mm, but nowadays their physical condition is often less than ideal.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Danny Burk said:
Many of them only survive as 16mm "Show at Home" prints released in the '20s and '30s. They're excellent quality for 16mm, but nowadays their physical condition is often less than ideal.

The bulk were available through the "kodascope" library - a non-theatrical 16mm distribution library that operated until the late 1930's. They had about 16 "exchanges" were groups and individuals could rent films Full versions, not abridgements or digests. All Silent - Silent Version. (The Exchange in Boston for instance was in an office building in in the theater district)

These were on safety film, not nitrate. Many films have turned up in the collector circles over the year. I've seen varying condition, but the survival rate is better than nitrate. (Just as with the Pathe stuff)

...and of course some of the studios had their own sales division.

Here's the 1936 listing - it's a great read and will knock your socks off!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
SKIPPY played once, and once only on TCM, so it should be able to see the light of day, even if only as a MOD release. It is a charming film, and should be better known. Jackie Cooper is so ingratiating in it. He should have won the Oscar over the hammy performance delivered by Lionel Barrymore in A Free Soul.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
bujaki said:
SKIPPY played once, and once only on TCM, so it should be able to see the light of day, even if only as a MOD release. It is a charming film, and should be better known. Jackie Cooper is so ingratiating in it. He should have won the Oscar over the hammy performance delivered by Lionel Barrymore in A Free Soul.

They aired it more than once,and it turned up on one or two of the other channels out there. Nice print. One of the first, if not the first, sound features based on a comic strip.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have the TCM broadcast saved on my PVR. Incidently, I requested TCM play SKIPPY (among others) when I was in the midst of watching all 494 (at the time) best picture nominees in 365 days. They obliged! They played EVERY film I needed from SKIPPY to TRADER HORN to THE BARRETS OF WIMPOLE ST. to STATE FAIR to THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD and THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR.

I owe them big time! Incidently, again, I wish all of these films would be released! (Yes I have BARRETS), and I won't forgive Warners if they DO NOT release TRADER HORN without the documentary TRADER HORN THE JOURNEY BACK, filmed by HARRY CARRY JR. From 7th Voyage Productions).

I wish Universal would release SKIPPY on its MOD system...

SKIPPY IS the first movie based on a comic, and it won three oscars, including a much deserved one for the director, Norman Taurog, Jackie Cooper's uncle. To get such wonderful performances out of children like this, takes talent.

Famously, Taurog, to get Cooper to cry, told him he'd shoot his dog. Cooper crude on cue, and the scene was filmed. Cooper never forgave his uncle.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
battlebeast said:
SKIPPY IS the first movie based on a comic....

No, it's not - it was the first SOUND Film based on a comic strip. There was a silent version of HAROLD TEEN in 1927 Starring Arthur Lake as Harold (A decade before he was Dagwood Bumstead!) HAROLD TEEN was a popular comic strip from the Tribune-News Syndicate that was the inspiration for other teen comics, radio and films such as Archie and Henry Aldrich.

...and thecnhcially, there was

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Actually, there's an even earlier one.....ELLA CINDERS comic began in 1925, and the Colleen Moore film based on it was released the following year.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've seen Ella Cinders and both versions of Harold Teen. They're a lot of fun. I know about the comic strips, but never read them.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Danny Burk said:
Actually, there's an even earlier one.....ELLA CINDERS comic began in 1925, and the Colleen Moore film based on it was released the following year.

If shorts count, Universal's "Andy Gump" comedies starring Joe Murphy ran 1923 - 1928.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
This is no April Fool's joke - I just happened to pick up a copy of Universal's 8-film western collection exclusive to Walmart for $5 and three of the titles are previously released Universal Vault titles! They are Quantez, Seminole, and Gun for a Coward; the other 5 titles - The Redhead from Wyoming, The Lawless Breed, War Arrow, The Man from the Alamo, and Canyon Passage - were previously released in other titles or as standalone titles, but I felt like I needed to pass this interesting bit of information along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks