What's new

Home Theater United Episode 39 - What's Cooking at Warner Archive Collection with Mr. George Feltenstein (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm sure I will get hell for it but I'll note I don't buy TV series on disk. TV is meant to be streamed =)
nah I never put down anyones opinion - Good for you! I like watching classic TV stations do not watch the old indies now WPIX is unwatchable today except Sat Midnight two Honeymooners! They were the best in the way back === Batman, Superman, The Little Rascals, The Munsters, F Troop StarTrek Yogi Bear etc now its ten different judges and yelling and screaming yet thankfully they are also Antenna TV === but if Adv Of Superman gets the love it deserves I bet pple will buy in!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm sure I will get hell for it but I'll note I don't buy TV series on disk. TV is meant to be streamed =)

I tend to agree as well about most TV series... though I do own some on disc... but partly because I bought a select handful or so (long) before jumping into streaming. I do feel the production value/quality (and episode lengths and fewer total episodes) of some (mostly modern, 21st century, sci-fi/fantasy/period-drama) series do make them worth owning on disc, but otherwise, I'm generally good w/ just HD-or-better streaming.

I certainly don't generally want 20-30min sitcoms on disc if I can get them streaming in good quality -- I don't even feel a need to own sitcoms on digital anymore (let alone discs) given their general nature and how readily accessible/available most of the best are via whatever platforms to which I already often/regularly subscribe nowadays.

Of course, I might change my mind on this if the landscape changes a lot (again) and substantially limit inexpensive accessibility/availability... or I simply feel more strongly about some particular series I don't already own perhaps -- I'm not about to get rid of what I already own for foreseeable future.

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Back in the DVD days, I had a habit of buying a TV series (then-current ones) on DVD if it was one I watched regularly. At some point, I realized that my wife and I tended to default to watching those shows in reruns instead of the discs. I think the final break was buying the first season of The Big Bang Theory on BD, and eventually realizing that that show would always be available in syndication. Virtually any evening of the week, when we're killing time between watching the evening news, and waiting for something to come on later, we'd turn to TBS or one of the local stations running TBBT and have it on in the background while doing something else.

There are still some shows that I care about enough to want to have on disc. But as time goes by, I'm more inclined to start triaging, and limit myself to shows that I really, really want to have around.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Back in the DVD days, I had a habit of buying a TV series (then-current ones) on DVD if it was one I watched regularly. At some point, I realized that my wife and I tended to default to watching those shows in reruns instead of the discs. I think the final break was buying the first season of The Big Bang Theory on BD, and eventually realizing that that show would always be available in syndication. Virtually any evening of the week, when we're killing time between watching the evening news, and waiting for something to come on later, we'd turn to TBS or one of the local stations running TBBT and have it on in the background while doing something else.

There are still some shows that I care about enough to want to have on disc. But as time goes by, I'm more inclined to start triaging, and limit myself to shows that I really, really want to have around.

I actually considered owning TBBT on BD (and ended up waiting til the series was completed... for the big UK import boxset at an attractive price), but gave up that idea by the time the series completed w/ affordable boxset since I was jumping into streaming and started realizing I'd probably be better off owning it on digital instead... and then realized I don't really need to own it at all (at least for foreseeable future anyway), LOL.

TBBT complete series does go on sale in HD digital (whether on iTunes or Vudu) every once in a good while (maybe once a year?) for something like $50-60. I might go that route (for that or various other shows) if it ever becomes hard to find via my regular (or semi-regular) streaming subs.

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Part of it, I think, is that at some point my wife and I realized that we'd probably seen most TBBT episodes several times over, and will probably never find ourselves in a situation where we'll ever think, "We haven't seen TBBT in a while; let's watch a few now." If anything, now that Young Sheldon is in syndication, if there's a choice between one or the other, we'd watch YS instead of TBBT simply because we've only seen most of its episodes once.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
nah I never put down anyones opinion - Good for you! I like watching classic TV stations do not watch the old indies now WPIX is unwatchable today except Sat Midnight two Honeymooners! They were the best in the way back === Batman, Superman, The Little Rascals, The Munsters, F Troop StarTrek Yogi Bear etc now its ten different judges and yelling and screaming yet thankfully they are also Antenna TV === but if Adv Of Superman gets the love it deserves I bet pple will buy in!

The random-ish flow-of-consciousness feel of this post fits my feeling for those sorts of shows exactly, LOL... which is precisely why I (and some others) are fine w/ *not* owning such, especially on discs, but just catch whichever of them whenever... much like dem "good ole days" of syndicated reruns on "free" TV, haha... :lol:

Of course, there are some old classics that are harder to find via streaming, especially in good quality. For instance, I (and many others) have been buying the recent series of ClassicFlix BD releases of The Little Rascals.

I do also have the BD set of The Honeymooners (and of course, Star Trek TOS and TNG) that Paramount released some years ago, but there are no quality BDs of The Munsters and some others though.

But if I could own all those fairly cheaply on good quality HD digital or simply stream them via quality subscription service, I'd rather do that instead now.

_Man_

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The random-ish flow-of-consciousness feel of this post fits my feeling for those sorts of shows exactly, LOL... which is precisely why I (and some others) are fine w/ *not* owning such, especially on discs, but just catch whichever of them whenever... much like dem "good ole days" of syndicated reruns on "free" TV, haha... :lol:

Of course, there are some old classics that are harder to find via streaming, especially in good quality. For instance, I (and many others) have been buying the recent series of ClassicFlix BD releases of The Little Rascals.

I do also have the BD set of The Honeymooners (and of course, Star Trek TOS and TNG) that Paramount released some years ago, but there are no quality BDs of The Munsters and some others though.

But if I could own all those fairly cheaply on good quality HD digital or simply stream them via quality subscription service, I'd rather do that instead now.

_Man_
Or watch them on Antenna TV and MeTV === boggles the mind that that indies like PIX wont bring them back ---- a contact of mine used to work at PIX now at WABC says the ratings on the Judge shows have been tanking for years. Bet they would save moolah by getting classic shows back on and even better ratings

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I like to have favourite television series on disc as much as film (currently watching Billions S2 blu ray, looks like 4k). It's very irritating when S1 of a show is on blu but the others (if released at all) are on DVD.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I like to have favourite television series on disc as much as film (currently watching Billions S2 blu ray, looks like 4k). It's very irritating when S1 of a show is on blu but the others (if released at all) are on DVD.
I got in trouble once about saying I do not like the movies today ---- same with TV I stick with the 50's 60s the shows I watched on WPIX and WNEW give me Father Knows Best - You Bet Your Life Phil Silvers Star Trek Lost In Space etc all the Screen Gems too. Although I loved Seinfeld

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
George did mention only a few of the 3-D titles would sell well. Maybe Phantom of the Rue Morgue would be one of them?

03/19/54 NYC
031954.jpg

03/24/54 LA
1032454.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
To me, some very good news regarding Captain Blood (1935), the Bugs Bunny and Popeye 3D cartoons, and Raintree County. Phantom of the Rue Morgue is my top unreleased 3D title, and I'd love to see that. Given their quality standards these days, if they put serious effort into some silent titles, those could be very important.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I prefer the best of both worlds, at least for favorites. I like the idea of ownership and knowing I can watch any show I have any time I want, without caring about what service it may be on or whether I get that service or not. However, I also like ability to scan my collection from where I sit and bounce around shows easily within a given evening. Buying the media, while extracting the content for storage on a local media server provides the best of both worlds.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Buying the media, while extracting the content for storage on a local media server provides the best of both worlds.

With all my other hobbies I cannot even begin to imagine having the free time to rip multi disk series but I salute you guys who do.

If you value your time as low as $10 an hour the effort must be overwhelmingly in favor of buying series from a reputable vendor like Apple even with the perceived risk of losing access to them tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks