What's new

Ultraviolet....Excellent (1 Viewer)

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
I just bought this DVD last night and I stayed up till 3 am watching all six episodes. Ultraviolet a great story about vampires with a x-files feel to it. I really recommend buying this DVD. There really isn't much as in extra features, but the Ultraviolet story makes up for it. I am not much of a DVD reviewer, but from what I can tell the picture transfer looks good and the 5.1 mix is pretty good especially during some of the action scenes. I just wish that there is more episodes of this show, because I am hooked on it. If you are a X-files or a any vampire flick fan you must go out and buy this DVD.
------------------
Bill
My DVD Collection
[email protected]
My DVD, Home Theater page

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Bill, where did you get this? I only know of the UK release (which I have) and that is non-anamorphic 14x9 and stereo. If a version is out there with 5.1 it would be nice to know about it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It was released in June here in R1. Check Amazon.com for all the details. I really enjoyed this series when it first aired here in the States on SciFi and the DVD was devastatingly awesome. My only complaint is that the extras are well hidden on the scene selection pages. The extras were well done and in-line with the show and the audio interview with the creator, Joe Ahearne, was very unusual and informative.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I picked this up in June when it came out, not knowing a thing about it. I have really enjoyed it.
Does anyone know when the next season is coming out? I can't wait!

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember what I read correctly, this was a mini-series and that there are no additional episodes planed.
This is very high on my list of DVDs to purchase. I've read nothing but good things about it.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just to let those know who are asking (I presume you are talking about the UK series, and not the US remake)
Ultraviolet was produced for and shown on Channel 4 in UK. As is normal, 6 episodes qualify as a series in this country.
Whilst the show got good reviews here, the viewing figures were not great - I think because it was about vampires, though, of course, they never use this word in series (Code 5, I think).
There are no plans to release another series, and the actors have all moved onto other things. The creator of the show, Joe Ahearne, has expressed interest in doing another series, but Channel 4 don't seem to be prepared to stump up the cash.
I thought the show was great, and it was released on DVD here, but it is not anamorphic. If the R1 version is anamorphic, could someone let me know, as I think I will buy it. Could they also confirm that it is the UK series with Jack Davenport, and not the US remake.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info everyone. Also, what Simon said - this might have to be upgraded if its anamorphic. I read talk from the writer in SFX at the time about him having a plot for a second series, but either the ratings weren't thought to be good enough, or this was the usual standard of SFX 'journalism'. If you think things can get heated in here if someone attacks widescreen, just try saying good things about them on the UK Babylon 5 group and observe the fires...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
update - I checked Amazon, and this is indeed the UK series, not the US adaptation. It doesn't look to be anamorphic though.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The R1 DVD set is not anamorphic unfortunately. I do not think it is 5.1 either. There has been speculation that the creator will do a film to further the story, as another series is not an option.
The US remake hasn't been done yet, but is optioned by Fox. They would be wise to hire Joe Ahearne to head it up, and grant him license for as many installments as he wishes. Alas, they are neither HBO nor Showtime, so we'll see.
I've always wondered that a series as such would make a good direct-to-DVD venture, but the sales likely are not good enough. I'd buy it :).
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'll chime in to say that I was also captivated by this series. It's a bit light on the background story and heavy on the atmosphere but it is well-paced and the actors are all quite good. I've already watched it through twice.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Shame that it isn't anamorphic in R1. Guess I'll have to stick with my R2 copy for now.
This is crying out for a second series with the way it ended

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
Just added this to my collection on Friday and I'm halfway through. So far I must agree that this is a very good miniseries. I see myself rewatching it very soon as I'm sure there are things I have missed.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Good to hear all the positive reviews. . .I bought this about 2 months ago, but have yet to find the time to watch it! Sounds very intriguing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks