What's new

TV picture problem - possible magnetic interference? (1 Viewer)

Dave Roser

Auditioning
I'm having a problem with the picture on my 27" Sony Trinitron. The screen has developed two spots of distorted color an each side of the screen. The spots are blooms of red, blue, or green (depending on the color on screen)originating from the midpoint of the screen on each side. At worst, each spot has a radius of about 6". I'm thinking it may be interference from my speakers. They're supposed to be shielded, but... My speakers are placed about a foot from the screen on each side, at about the same height as the color spots. I also have a center channel above the screen, but the location of the spots seems to point to the L and R speakers. I've tried degaussing by unplugging the set for an hour with no luck. Incidentally, the problem occurs regardless of input source, so I'm pretty sure it's the TV. It's very noticeable on a bluescreen. The warranty on the set expired about a week ago, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

If it matters, the speakers are BIC DV52s w/ a 5" woofer

Dave Roser

Auditioning
Yeah, I tried moving them. The configuration of my entertainment center only allows me to move them about 2 feet from the screen, but I also tried disconnecting the speakers completely and turning the TV on, with no luck. To be honest, I'm not even positive that the speakers are the problem. Can anyone out there tell me whether I'm right? Is my screen shot? About how much am I looking at in repairs?

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
When you say disconnect completely...do you mean you unplugged them (which won't make a difference) or did you take them out of the cabinet and physically move them at least 5-10 ft away? (which will makea difference although I think about 3ft per side is all that will be needed depending on woofer size. A bigger speaker magnet requires more distance). I have a 32" s-series sony and non-shielded speakers. They required ~3 ft per side.

Your problem definately reads like magnetic interference.

You may need it professionally deguassed (aka. tv repairman)

Dave Roser

Auditioning
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Is there any way to improve the shielding on my speakers? A foot and a half is about as far as I can move them from the TV without radical reconfiguration of my HT setup. Any and all ideas are appreciated

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Before paying someone to professionally degauss your TV...
After moving the speakers away from the TV, you need to go through 10 degaussings before you prove anything. To assure that a built in degaussing took place, the TV should be off for an hour and then turned on and allowed to play for an hour. (The exact time delay varies from one make and model to another.) A normal week of viewing usually accomplishes this without your having to consciously think about it.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks