What's new

Trying out CarPlay (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron. i don’t keep up with the most newest tech info like I used to. Even though I work in tech!

i was going to post about the recent changes to Apple CarPlay, so it’s interesting to see that video of what Android is doing. It seems to me, the newer cars I’ve seen, like the new Mustang from Ford, (the gasoline powered original) and the cars in that video are all going with larger and larger screens. In the case of the Mustang, replacing the instrument cluster. It seems to me to be flying in the face of what Apple has done to prevent the driver from being distracted.

i still have my 2001 BMW with the aftermarket 2 high DIN head unit with by today‘s standards, a small screen. I was going to post about my recent experiences using CarPlay. I don’t drive as much as before because of work from home. So my usage is mainly playing my music library that I made from ripped CDs. I don’t use Apple Music.

Early on I was playing around with Waze and Apple Maps. But I found in my case, Waze didn’t play nice with the music app. When Waze was on, music wouldn’t play or stop after a few seconds. It was like Waze was fighting for dominance. So I stopped using it over a year ago. ( Maybe after Google acquired Waze, they wrote in the software to play havoc in iOS? :). ). So it’s delightful to see Apple Maps improvements with the way the maps are displayed and also having traffic alerts and alerts for police. I like how it’s continuing to improve. I like using Apple Maps even if I know where i’m going!

And it’s kind of scary that iOS knows your routines. On weekdays it knows I typically go to work. And on Saturday, it knows I go to the grocery store. So Apple Maps can predict what I’m going to do in the car when I hook up the iPhone.

I also use Microsoft Teams at work for doing remote meetings, so there are times I am on the road and if I can’t attend a meeting at my desk on my computer, then I can listen in in the car. i noticed other colleagues doing that too. But at first I wasn’t sure why the app doesn’t work to join a meeting via the screen on the head unit. Then I realized I need to join the meeting via the iPhone. I see that as again a way to prevent drivers from being distracted. It prevents the driver from seeing anything on the head unit screen being shared such as documents, drawings, etc. if I look down at the iPhone, I can see the shared images. So that’s not good! 😆

Overall, I really like Carplay. I wish I could connect wireless ly, but given my older car, its the way it is. I could upgrade the head unit at some point if I keep this car. And it’s likely I will keep it longer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nelson,

I can relate.

One of the apps always knows my routine. I look at my watch and it's telling me that the grocery store is 2 miles away, knowing that I drive there around 7 am on select mornings.

So, yeah, I think all the navigation apps are keeping track of your whereabouts.

As far as wireless CarPlay is concerned, have you thought about getting an adapter that plugs into the vehicle and turns it into a wireless connection? My brand new Corsair isn't wireless CarPlay and I bought an adapter that automatically connects my phone whenever I turn on the vehicle.

Always good talking with you!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion of a wireless Airplay adaptor! I’ve heard about those. But I have not looked into one yet. I think I’ll look into it. :).

I had to look up your car, the Lincoln Corsair! That’s an interesting car segment, smaller sportier SUVs! At first I thought you were talking about the Corvair, from 1960!

It’s good talking to you too! I was surprised by the recent news of the forum sale, but thats for another thread.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I really like the idea of wireless CarPlay but I have to be able to charge my iPhone while I drive (I often drive from home to Memphis for work ~ 180 miles each way) so I might as well use my head unit’s usb port.

Concerning Teams calls: I’m often on teams calls while driving and never use the teams app, mostly because there isn’t a CarPlay teams app. All teams calls should have a phone number and access code associated with them and I use those.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron, what is the adaptor you’re using? I found a review of one on YouTube that is used on the same head unit I have called the CPLAYtoAir.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Clinton, I have similar concerns about the nicety to charge the iPhone while plugged in. my drive to work can be up to 1 hour on a bad day. So not too bad.

About Teams, good to know about the dial in number. I just use the app on the iPhone and click the join button. Then put the iPhone down and start driving. I should not be driving when I’m trying to join the meeting. 😆. I just wish the app would let me do that on the CarPlay UI screen. I just updated the app, maybe they will add that functionality.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Ron, what is the adaptor you’re using? I found a review of one on YouTube that is used on the same head unit I have called the CPLAYtoAir.

This is the one that I bought. It works incredibly well. I reviewed it on the Amazon page (look for my name).

It seems to be on sale right now for $69, substantially cheaper than what I bought it for when it was about $110

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Plugging in my phone really isn't a big deal to me (even though I always charge wirelessly at home). The navigation and GPS use up a lot of juice, so I usually want to charge the phone anyway. We did have a rental car once where Android Auto navigation worked wirelessly, and while it was cool, it wasn't useful enough for me to spend money on an adapter. Both our vehicles have two USB ports in the front console area - - one gets a USB thumb drive for music, and the other gets a short USB cable that is always plugged in and available for the phone when I need navigation.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Plugging in my phone really isn't a big deal to me (even though I always charge wirelessly at home). The navigation and GPS use up a lot of juice, so I usually want to charge the phone anyway. We did have a rental car once where Android Auto navigation worked wirelessly, and while it was cool, it wasn't useful enough for me to spend money on an adapter. Both our vehicles have two USB ports in the front console area - - one gets a USB thumb drive for music, and the other gets a short USB cable that is always plugged in and available for the phone when I need navigation.
Thanks Scott. Good point about the battery drain, especially on a long drive.

On a related note, I had been toying with the idea of making a fixture to attach an Apple MagSafe charger so the iPhone will have a secured attachment. If it’s wireless, then maybe the MagSafe can provide power.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Increasingly, cars are coming with wireless CarPlay and a wireless Qi charging pad. Car connects to iPhone and CarPlay starts automatically and you can have your phone charging on the pad if that’s desired. When it works, it’s great.

(I rent a dozen or more cars a year and when I get this feature set, I love it.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought this for my car.

Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Compatible with iPhone 13/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/13 Mini/12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/12 Mini, APMIEK Fast Charging Air Vent Holder Charger Compatible with MagSafe Case

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sorry, Ron. I should have explained my half formed thought. 😂 I wasn’t looking at anything specific, I was wondering aloud about a combination of using Ottocast for wireless CarPlay while also using an Apple MagSafe charging puck. I know MagSafe charges slower than lightning so I wonder if it could keep up with a phone simultaneously using CarPlay for audio and navigation.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I bought a wireless CarPlay adapter for my new Kia Sportage.
This car has an extra large touchscreen and for some reason this “premium” screen they don’t offer wireless CarPlay.

I bought this one on sale for about $60 recently.

In another topic here years ago I didn’t like Carlplay but I’ve come around on it since this new car.

I only bought the wireless device because the usb-c doesn’t connect to CarPlay only the standard usb port does but that port doesn’t charge the iPhone fast enough to stay ahead of the drain.
This way I can plug into the C port and have the Carlinkit run the CarPlay.

The only issue I have is in bad cell zones I loose the CarPlay connection for some reason even though it’s supposed to be connecting using wifi.
Minor inconvenience.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only issue I have is in bad cell zones I loose the CarPlay connection for some reason even though it’s supposed to be connecting using wifi.
Minor inconvenience.
I had a similar issue with my old LG android phone and Android Auto. Whenever I lost my cell signal, my navigation would shutdown. This never happens on any Samsung phone I've owned -- I just get a message that I am offline and not getting any traffic updates.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had a similar issue with my old LG android phone and Android Auto. Whenever I lost my cell signal, my navigation would shutdown. This never happens on any Samsung phone I've owned -- I just get a message that I am offline and not getting any traffic updates.

That’s weird.
I don’t have this issue when I plug the phone into the port. On,y when I use that wireless adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks