What's new

Trying out CarPlay (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You can use Google Maps Navigation in CarPlay which is something I wish to try at some point as well as Waze.
Google Maps is the best navigation system I've used. It provides much better routing and traffic info than the Garmin I own (which has live traffic, too), and as I said above it's much better than General Motor's built-in system. Garmin's only advantage is it will work in areas where you do not have cellular data coverage.

Google owns Waze, and they have begun to incorporate some of Waze's features into Google. Several months ago Google Maps started alerting to speed traps, and also has been adding speed limit indications to the maps (it's not there for all roads yet). I prefer Google Maps to Waze from a user interface

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I’m so used to Siri not being able to play an album or song in my iTunes library to the HomePod since I don’t use Apple Music. But glad to see the Siri in CarPlay can play music from my library in the iPhone.

Sounds like something that can be fixed there. If it can do one it should be able to do the other. Unless you are playing music that is downloaded to your phone and not from the cloud?

I’ll have to try asking Siri to do other things like directions.

Try sending a text! That's what originally made me remind you about using Siri - you had said you pulled over to send a text...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

Is it easy to set navigation on the Google Maps website
Ron

Have you tried the updated Apple Maps in iOS 13 yet?

Yes, used it a few times already.

It's okay.

I really wish there was a CarPlay app out there that displayed 3D view like the Garmin and TomTom units do. By that, I mean a more realistic view of the landscape.

I did like the way Apple Maps told me which lanes to stay in to make upcoming turns, but I am guessing Waze and Google do that as well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

Is it easy to set navigation on the Google Maps website

I did like the way Apple Maps told me which lanes to stay in to make upcoming turns, but I am guessing Waze and Google do that as well.

Ron,

I am using an Android phone, so it may work more seamlessly than with an iPhone -- not sure. In my case, I can search for an address or location in Google Maps on my home PC and when I plug my phone into my car, my most recent Google Map searches will show up for selection -- along with any current entry in my Google Calendar. Makes it quite simple if you've looked something up on a PC and tried different routes before heading out in your vehicle. There is a way to send your route to the phone, but I never use that. I am not sure how this works on an iPhone, since being logged into Google is an inherent part of the Android phone.

Also, Google Maps will tell you which lanes to use for upcoming turns or freeways exits.

Google Maps will also show you alternate routes as you drive, with an estimate time arrival difference. You can then just select that "alternate route" box on your vehicle's touch screen, and your route is automatically changed.

For example, my preferred route home from northern Michigan requires that I stay on southbound US-23 when I come to I-96, but Google Maps prefers I take I-96 because it's 1 minute shorter (but there is always more traffic that way, so I prefer US-23). When I get close to the interchange, GM will show a box with something like "similar ETA" or "2 minutes longer". I simply press the box, and it changes from I-96 to staying on US-23. This is also helpful in letting me know if there is a traffic issue on my preferred route -- it would say something like "15 minutes longer" or whatever it's estimate is based on the traffic situation, so I could then take my less preferred route.

I find the live traffic feature on Google Maps to be incredibly useful, and I always plug my phone in and use GM even when I know where I am going. It has saved me numerous times from sitting in a traffic jam due to an accident, construction, or just unusually congested traffic.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I have a 2018 Honda CRV and I have found CarPlay pretty nice other then remembering to plug in the USB cable. It works seamless enough I have been tempted to dump Sirius Radio. I do miss the performance of my 2013 BMW 328xi but the tech part of me is happy.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I have a 2018 Honda CRV and I have found CarPlay pretty nice other then remembering to plug in the USB cable.

As somebody who has used wireless CarPlay for a year now let me say this -

There are times it is nice, such as in the winter when you don't have to take your gloves off to fish it out under multiple layers of clothes - but most of the time in actual use you tend to want to plug it in anyway because using it really drains the battery. I have unlimited data so 100% of my car listening comes through my phone so battery def takes a hit...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I added CarPlay (and Android Auto) to both my 2016 Mazda Miata and my 2017 Mazda CX-5 last year. Mazda released a CarPlay/AA upgrade kit that is compatible with pretty much every Mazda made since about 2014-2015 (all Mazdas with Mazda Connect infotainment systems). It cost me $160 for each kit and I installed them myself.

BEST UPGRADE I'VE EVER ADDED TO ANY CAR!

I've used CarPlay nearly every day since. Any app on my iPhone that is CarPlay compatible automatically shows up on my Mazda's infotainment display (within the CarPlay UI). Waze is the bomb! I freakin' LOVE Waze! I fire up Waze whenever we are driving far enough to leave our immediate area. Even if I haven't put a destination in Waze, it still warns me about accidents, stopped vehicles, debris in the road and cops along the way.

Having CarPlay also allows me to talk to Siri by simply saying "Hey Siri" followed by the command or question. Siri can also be activated by the phone button on my Mazda's steering wheel. Easy peasy.

There's no way I'll ever own another car that doesn't have CarPlay.

BTW, Mazda's implementation of CarPlay is USB/wired only. But I've got zero problems with that. Anyone that is too lazy to take the phone out of their pocket and plug it into a cable is way too lazy for me. Besides, the phone stays charged that way.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would have to argue that most of that is the fault of bad head unit design and poor CarPlay integration.
Most likely. But it doesn’t matter, because the end result is the same no matter who’s at fault: Apple CarPlay is bit flakey based on my usage through a few dozen different cars over the past couple years.

But I’d really like to have CarPlay. Despite its occasional problems, it’s so much better than automakers’ infotainment systems. Having a native Audible and Overcast UI is great. Having both Apple and Google maps (as of iOS 12) is helpful, letting me pick the best map for the situation.

But I can’t find a way to upgrade my 2016 Subaru Legacy.

The iOS 13 updates are intriguing, I like the idea. But car screens aren’t super huge so I’ll have to experience it to understand how the split display works in practice.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The iOS 13 updates are intriguing, I like the idea. But car screens aren’t super huge so I’ll have to experience it to understand how the split display works in practice.

The good thing about the split display is it's something you choose to go to - the current display with apps is still the main screen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Google Maps is the best navigation system I've used. It provides much better routing and traffic info than the Garmin I own (which has live traffic, too), and as I said above it's much better than General Motor's built-in system. Garmin's only advantage is it will work in areas where you do not have cellular data coverage.

Google owns Waze, and they have begun to incorporate some of Waze's features into Google. Several months ago Google Maps started alerting to speed traps, and also has been adding speed limit indications to the maps (it's not there for all roads yet). I prefer Google Maps to Waze from a user interface

Scott,

I want to thank you for recommending I try Google over Apple Maps.

I had a rather lengthy roundtrip drive yesterday where I used the navigation tool for the first time via CarPlay.

What a huge difference over Apple Maps...and I mean that in a positive light. I think the way the app lays out the map is far better than Apple does. Additionally, as my vehicle had to stop and go through Parkway gridlock, I was astounded at how accurate the traffic (indicated in red and yellow) was laid out on the map. I don't know how Google does it, but the indicators were spot on.

My listening of the HTF Podcast during the entire trip was frequently interrupted by the voice navigation. However, instead of losing program content, Apple Play simply paused the audio and resumed once the instructions were given. I am certain it will do the same for played music content.

Very happy!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My listening of the HTF Podcast during the entire trip was frequently interrupted by the voice navigation. However, instead of losing program content, Apple Play simply paused the audio and resumed once the instructions were given. I am certain it will do the same for played music content.

Very happy!
That’s a standard iOS feature that doesn’t require CarPlay. It works over Bluetooth or headphones or the iPhone’s speaker. :)

What’s really great is recently some apps like Overcast are doing a jump-back by a few seconds after a pause. That way they’re no longer stopping and resuming mid sentence. Instead, they come back and get you back in context after a nav interruption.

It’s specific for spoken word audio. Music is ducked, not paused.

5E526E87-404D-4143-BE78-EF88F6D899BD.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That’s a standard iOS feature that doesn’t require CarPlay. It works over Bluetooth or headphones or the iPhone’s speaker. :)

What’s really great is recently some apps like Overcast are doing a jump-back by a few seconds after a pause. That way they’re no longer stopping and resuming mid sentence. Instead, they come back and get you back in context after a nav interruption.

It’s specific for spoken word audio. Music is ducked, not paused.

View attachment 60088
I noticed when Overcast implemented the jump-back feature last year and I absolutely love it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I returned the loaner car to the dealer earlier this week and I’m back to 2001 BMW 3 series with an iPod Classic input. So I’m researching and doing my do-diligence on a replacement head unit. I have to say the driving experience is much better in my old driving machine verses the new cars. :)

Sounds like you guys are having some good experiences with CarPlay. I hope to join you later this summer. At least I can still do navigation from the iPhone X.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

I want to thank you for recommending I try Google over Apple Maps.

I had a rather lengthy roundtrip drive yesterday where I used the navigation tool for the first time via CarPlay.

What a huge difference over Apple Maps...and I mean that in a positive light. I think the way the app lays out the map is far better than Apple does. Additionally, as my vehicle had to stop and go through Parkway gridlock, I was astounded at how accurate the traffic (indicated in red and yellow) was laid out on the map. I don't know how Google does it, but the indicators were spot on.

Very happy!

Glad you like the app, Ron. It is amazing how accurate the traffic information is on Google Maps. It saved me again this morning heading to the golf course. I saw a backup on US-23 just north of I-96 on the screen, and sure enough just as I came to the interchange traffic was at a dead stop due to an accident. Because of Google, I was already in the left lane so I could get off and detour around the traffic jam. I also called my buddy who would be heading through the jam to warn him, too, and he was grateful.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Guys, I returned the loaner car to the dealer earlier this week and I’m back to 2001 BMW 3 series with an iPod Classic input. So I’m researching and doing my do-diligence on a replacement head unit. I have to say the driving experience is much better in my old driving machine verses the new cars. :)

Sounds like you guys are having some good experiences with CarPlay. I hope to join you later this summer. At least I can still do navigation from the iPhone X.
When I bought my car, lack of CarPlay wasn’t a deal-breaker. When I buy my next car in 4-5 years, it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks