What's new

Anyone added after-market CarPlay to their car? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was amazed by the GM decision. People are too tech savvy. They won’t want a car that doesn’t support CarPlay or Android Auto
I’ll add some nuance: People buy cars without CarPlay or AA, particularly if it’s otherwise a top tier car and software: notably Tesla and Rivian.

But GM has no reputation for its auto software and their reputation as an EV maker is good but not Tesla. So this is a bonkers move that I expect will fail and they’ll reverse it in about three years.

That said, they’re hiring top people from Apple so who knows?

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I have upgraded the stereos in all 3 of my cars over the years. I keep my cars a long time. Unfortunately, my 2009 and 2016 BMW’s have a MOST Bus and replacing the head unit is not recommended. Too many other options are integrated. I was able to use MOST Bus interfaces in order to add an external DSP, amps and speakers while keeping the OEM head unit and maintaining all the other integrated functions.

Like your 2016, our X6 was a generation before Apple CarPlay was offered. It does have a decent Navigation system but I need to purchase and install updated maps on a regular basis and they still aren’t as good as the apps available on a smart phone. I am able to integrate the lossless (ALAC) music files I have saved on my iPhone. We tend to run Google Maps or Waze to confirm the best route.

I was able to change out the head unit on my 2000 Land Cruiser that is now more advanced than our newer cars. I decided on a Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S. I am able to maintain a hardwired USB connection for music playback that eliminates any loss of quality Bluetooth might cause. The Kenwood has a second USB for Android integration. Of course, once the car starts, I would never hear any difference but it is the principle. The Kenwood does have internal amplification and some DSP features but I also added an external DSP and amps and built a DIY subwoofer that has the coolest mounting solution that secures the enclosure to the rear seat brackets and allows easy removal when I need to haul stuff an installer came up with. I could have kept my OEM speakers and powered them from the new head unit if I wanted.

Land_Cruiser_Install_a.jpg LC_Amps_1000p.jpg LC_Door.jpg

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I was amazed by the GM decision. People are too tech savvy. They won’t want a car that doesn’t support CarPlay or Android Auto
I'd assume GM pulled a strong arm, corporate bully move similar to what Wal-Mart, Costco and yes, Apple do on a routine basis with their suppliers. "Develop a GM exclusive system for us that is superior to stock Android Auto and we'll drop Apple Carplay support." For all we know, they ran the idea by Apple first.

It's clear they're in this to steal [sorry, collect] personal data. Apple, Google and a host of others already do this but if the system software resides entirely in the vehicle as opposed to your phone, will it receives regular updates? If so, will they be free and for how long?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's a power play I think they'll live to regret. They've gotten into bed with Google to develop a proprietary solution that will likely flop.
They’ve all but guaranteed that I’ll never purchase another GM car. Ever.

Full disclosure: There is no American branded car that I would consider buying anyway. I switched to Toyota in 2000 and Honda in 2018 and have no plans to switch back so GM’s CarPlay snub doesn’t bother me anyway.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's a power play I think they'll live to regret. They've gotten into bed with Google to develop a proprietary solution that will likely flop.
Yes, I think it's going to hurt GM. We currently own two GM vehicles with Android Auto (and CarPlay). I think it's as much an attempted money-grab as anything else. They will probably tie the new service to their OnStar service and require a subscription. If GM doesn't offer AA / CarPlay when it's time for us to buy a new vehicle, I personally will look elsewhere. We do not pay for OnStar, and I don't want it. It's an unnecessary expense -- I can do everything I need with the cell phone I already pay for and Android Auto.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Choosing a product is getting more confusing, as I’m learning about the iDatalink connectors. I think I this, but I don’t know for sure. Maybe I need a cheaper variant for just steering wheel controls?

As I read about products, there’s no clear info on exactly what is needed and works with a given car.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Choosing a product is getting more confusing, as I’m learning about the iDatalink connectors. I think I this, but I don’t know for sure. Maybe I need a cheaper variant for just steering wheel controls?

As I read about products, there’s no clear info on exactly what is needed and works with a given car.

I would call Maestro. Seems there are a number of options that work but may offer more features as they go up in price. There is a lower priced iDataLink Maestro RR and a higher priced iDataLink RR ADS-Maestro MRR2 that should all work. I wish I had the option to replace the head units on my BMW's but due to the MOST Bus the best I could do was add a Helix SDMI25 to connect external Amps and a DSP while retaining the OEM head unit.

Andy Dwyer

Agent
Real Name
Andy
It's only for EVs. All gas powered GM cars and truck will include AA and Apple Carplay. That's until GM foolishly tries to stop making gas cars in 2035. Good luck with that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you already have word CarPlay or AndroidPlay in your car you can buy a dongle that makes it wireless.
I used one of these and it works very well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is kinda that thread but the title is outdated so doesn’t make it findable

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is kinda that thread but the title is outdated so doesn’t make it findable

I started a new thread. Not sure if I should have, but there seems to be a lot of current discussion so why not.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It's only for EVs. All gas powered GM cars and truck will include AA and Apple Carplay. That's until GM foolishly tries to stop making gas cars in 2035. Good luck with that.
Strictly my opinion: Any legacy car company (not just GM) will be out of business if they didn’t stop making gas cars long before 2035. Note, I am not saying that new, never mind millions upon millions of used ICE (aka gas), will stop existing. Horse and buggy carriages still exist in Manhattan, mostly for rides in Central Park. ICE Formula 1 will exist, small volume luxury vehicles will exist.

But for the mass market there will be an inflection point, when good quality EVs cost less than ICE vehicles up front, never mind their long term benefits— no more oil changes, brake pad replacement, gas prices and the glory of gas station, etc. The joy on instant torque of EVs, the ability to turn on the heat or AC remotely, even if your car is in a garage without carbon monoxide worries. Amazing EV features like Dog Mode or Camp Mode. All of sudden ICE sales will completely crater, like they have in Norway where 80% of new vehicles are EVs.

At that point any legacy car company that isn’t overwhelmingly EV based will either be bankrupt or will be a tiny fraction of what it is in 2023. And it will take a lot less than 12 years to get there.

So far as CarPlay and GM I agree with DaveF’s take, although I’m not sure who these “top Apple people” willing to work for GM would be — former Project Titan people, considering a self driving Apple EV at your local store real soon now is as likely as Steve Wozniak returning to Apple to be the head of something

Robert Saccone

Premium
I think even doing their own thing for EVs is probably a big fail as I think EVs are more in the wheel house of going to middle aged people who are tech savvy and will want their Car Play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks