What's new

Titanic R2 SE question (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas

Well if you are using separates where the RCA phones are providing the source output to the amplifiers, use an audio limiter on those (split-surrounds) turn it up and the audio limiter will tame the sound if it where to peak over the desired level that you set it too, ideally the level should peak at 85dbA where dbC will have a slightly higher SPL.

Mate you don’t what to damage the surrounds, because when the (power generators) start to short out in the film this before the ship breaks in half, those (power generators) are give a huge output on the surrounds, just looking out for you mate.

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
If you think about it, it's not surprising that there will be differences in the sound, since the new one has Dolby 5.1 Ex and DTS 6.1, while the original only has Dolby 5.1. It may not have been a conscious descison by the technitians to bring up the sound effects levels in favour of the music - that could just be the way it worked out!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
David

The (centre back surround) works with any film that’s got (split-surrounds) don’t be fooled by this.

If you listen to the end credits and just the surrounds only disconnect the fronts or turn the fronts off, and listen, you will hear a spoken voice giving a que to start up the string section. So listen!

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
I know it will work with any movie (I always use the DSP settings anyway, which also have the effect of using the back speaker). But, the 5.1 matrix and 6.1 modes are the only ones where the back speaker is intended to be used, so would be mixed with this in mind. I just meant, that with this in mind, it's not surprising that we'd hear differences between the two mixes.

And I'll listen out for that voice! :)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I found that out the hard way, if you know what I mean...:D

No damage was done - didn't have the overall volume loud enough - but damn was it loud!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Listening to the whole score that way is a lot of fun...hearing what's exclusive to the specific channels. For example, there are no electronics of any kind in the center channel of the score, so listening to the center channel on its own gives you an idea of what the score sounded like while being recorded - right down to the click track!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas

The dts surround 5.1 soundtrack on imported CD sounds very impressive, you could here the same details in it as the final film score mix, deepening on the editing.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

That's what I was referring to.

I made a customized version of it, increasing the volume of the rear channels to match the fronts, making it more immersive. The rears were originally too quiet, almost non-existent just like in the film.

Turning off the center channel during "My Heart Will Go On" gives you good karaoke, while leaving the center on during every other track with the synthesized choir gives you the same thing, only wordless karaoke :D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas

Try adding active frequency X over units for the three-screen channels, and make some customized adjustments, you might discover the mid range might be to bright on your fronts and a little custom made special modifications might open new avenues.

As for the end credits, I know the way the music sounds on that, with the surrounds there is a softness to it, if I just wanted to increase the level of the surrounds in my home cinema a separate Dolby unit is processing the surrounds with centre back and height and at my will I can turn the level up slightly, but I always remember to place the fader in the original position afterwards, because the next film might turn out to be very loud on the surrounds.

Usually this is the wish of the director, and surrounds tend to very from film to film it’s up to the artistic direction of the mixers and what level they want to take the surrounds too.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
"The dts surround 5.1 soundtrack on imported CD sounds very impressive, you could here the same details in it as the final film score mix, deepening on the editing."

I found the DTS CD for US$8 (now out-of-print) and it does sound awesome.

Being a R1 person, the DTS 6.1 soundtrack really shakes the dust off the cones of my speakers, and makes me glad I have 1 1/2 inches of cork flooring under my sub-I can feel it vibrate!!

If there ever was a film that really could have been as effective with an overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music, TITANIC was it. The end of disc 1 makes a very nice time for intermission, especially when you know the most exciting part of the film is yet to come! It's too bad they didn't do this for the special edition.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Abby

Yeah I would imagine the dts CD is very rare by now and thou I only have a little scratch mark on the disc towards the end of the CD that is to the inner part of the disc, it has problems being picked up by the laser. Don’t ask how the scratch got there it’s a bitch oh well plan B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks