Titanic R2 SE question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Payne, Aug 5, 2006.

1. David Payne

David Payne Stunt Coordinator

I've just rented this to check out the transfer before making a decision to buy it (as I always tend to do). But the rental copy has one of those annoying piracy ads at the start. Is this there on the retail version?

Also, I compared the new transfer to the original one, and I was surprised by how similar they are! I have a BENQ PE7700 projector, which is very good at upscaling, and I had to really look to see the differences. Obviously the new one is better, but that's not always obvious. Did anyone else find this? All I can say is, that's one hell of a good non-anamorphic transfer!

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

It was an amazing non-anamorphic transfer! But still worth the upgrade INHO. I have bot the R2 and R1 SE sets. R1 got the shaft....one less disc.

3. David Payne

Yeah it's weird about that. And apparently they pulled a documentary intended for the DVD! [​IMG] But I also noticed that a version of the film with an alternative ending was released earlier this year.

But does your R2 version have the annoying anti-piracy ad at the start?I'm really starting to hate those!

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

yeah-I'm sure that hundreds of bootleggers, after watching and copying the warning on into the film, stopped dead and their tracks, sat down, and re-assessed their lives: "Hmmmm....maybe bootlegging isn't such a good career after all...I think Ill take up welding" [​IMG]

5. David Payne

What annoys me the most is that it's the honest paying customer that's being shafted. I mean okay, sure, the ads aren't that long, but I hate the idea that we buy DVD's, legally and properly, and then effectively get told off about pirating every time we want to watch the movie! Talk about preaching to the converted. I bet the pirated copies don't have the ads!

I bought V for Vendetta the other day, and it has a huge menu option at the start with probably every region 2 country. So you have to spend ages at the start of the film finding your country on the list, and then possibly put up with the ad, depending on which country you're in! Of course there's nothing stopping you from selecting the first country on the list and skipping the ad - because that's the only difference it makes!

6. David Payne

So, can anyone tell me if the ads are on the new Titanic R2 release?

7. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

The anti piracy ad is indeed on the region 2 version.

8. David Payne

Thanks. But that is annoying. When are they going to realise that targeting paying customers is not the way to fight piracy?

9. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

At least Warner still give you the choice of selecting one of the Eastern European countries and avoiding the anti piracy ad you get if you choose UK or Australia.

One of the other studios in R2 (may be Universal) play the ad no matter which country you select. You get it in English unless they have a foreign language version of it (for France, Germany etc).

10. David Payne

Yes it is nice that you can do that. I wonder if they've done it intentionally so people can skip the ad, or just haven't put much thought into it.

11. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Oh, dear this was an issue that I was reluctant to say no to, but if the punch comes to the shove then.

The biggest problem that I have with this version is the sound, some may like both some may only like image, ok, I do like image as well, but not has half as much as when it comes to six-track Dolby Stereo Digital sound.

Some of the bass in the film has been reduced and some parts increased slightly, why fix it if it ain’t broken and seeing it’s been mixed buy the best Skywalker sound, I don’t see the practical need enhance the sound.

Now which version of the film do I play, the first DVD edition, at least I don’t have the side breaks which reminds me of the THX laserdisc NTSC, that I once owned with 4 side breaks.

Some of the documentaries are ok, also some I have seen before, I wonder if there was really more, I would have welcomed an audio commentary by Gary Summers, and Gary Rydstorm, that would have been very fitting for this occasion.

12. David Payne

Interesting about the sound. Where has the bass been increased/decreased?

13. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

David

Well there is one part where the bottlenose dolphins jump out of the water, there is real deep James Horner, bass slam there that gets your attention, well I was the first that noticed this, and quickly decided to A&B the two discs.

The split-surrounds have been played around with has well, when the watertight doors have all been closed there is a bell sounding on the splits, this has been increased in level slightly, which makes it clearer.

Are, but there are ways around this, if I wanted to increase the level of the surrounds on my set-up without going over the top, all I would need is an (audio limiter) set the levels on the threshold, set the level on the amplifier, and a little bit of EQ as well, and I would be able to hear the softest sounds, more easily and maintain a reliable and safe 85dbA max level.

So I don’t need a honky remix when it isn’t broken.

Also when “Titanic” leaves Southampton, the LFE.1 is around +4db more, why I don’t know I just don’t know, and this isn’t the only film where low end has been played around with English language version region 2 DVD.

14. David Payne

Intreresting. Is this the same for both the Dolby Digital Ex and DTS?

15. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

David

I’m not running dts-ES at the present moment; the first edition of [Titanic] translates very well over to (centre back surround) the differences well you’ll have to do a comparison test on your end, it’s rather difficult to explain in great lengths of detail at the present moment so I have just given you some scenes to look for or rather listen out for.

If you want to buy it buy both versions, the first edition represents the best sound, and you don’t get that annoying flipper side change as well!

The sound is virtually the same, except for the slight re-mixing that was done, has to who did it now that is a question? Because it really didn’t need it, not a for a film that is 8 years old. And can clearly stand the test of time!

Anyway David, mate I’m off for now, I may just run the first edition of “Titanic” 1997, later after I have done a test with “Sphere” 1998, has I’m involved with some affordable improvements to the home cinema set-up.

And remember it’s all in the mix?

16. David Payne

The first edition has very good sound, that's true. I've owned it for years and always enjoyed the sound. But having recently bought a projector, I think I need an anamorphic version, despite the letterbox version being pretty good. As long as I don't get anything too drastically different in the sound mix, that's okay.

17. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Daivd

You know If I had a video projector I would still run the first edition, now doesn’t that strike you has sounding odd, this newer version just isn’t up to par, it’s good don’t get me wrong but I just feel like swinging from the chandelier on this one.

18. David Payne

I sort of see what you mean. The transfer looks good on the new one, although it's not the amazing quality I would expect from a movie being spread over two discs (I guess the DTS 6.1 and the pods are responsible for that). But it's no worse that the original, and there is a clear advantage of having an anamorphic transfer (the picture generally looks clearer and less noisy).

19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

David

I would say it’s the stupid (Pods) that are taking up all the data on the disc, bad call (Fox) and don’t do this again!

20. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

As a Region 1 owner of both the original and special editions, I too can vouch for your claims about the sound level change.

While I didn't do a full analysis of each channel's output levels, I could just hear the differences normally - the rear channels have either very slightly lowered music, or it remains the same while the ambient sound effects are very slightly raised. It's very subtle, but it's there.

Titanic is one of those films where I tend to increase the rear channel volume a bit - I prefer more immersive surround mixes.