What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Nobody's Fool (1994) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This month Kino has released not one, but two Paul Newman films, and that's a good thing.

Nobody's Fool in 4k and Twilight in Blu-ray format. I'm thrilled to have them both, but wish they were both better.

Nobody's Fool confuses me a bit, as while I tend to understand most technical verbiage, I have no idea what the words "HDR/Dolby Vision Remastered" actually mean. There's a bit of further info that tells us that it's from a 4k scan of the Original Camera Negative - the thing that Target shoppers refer to as an OCN - it's catchy.

Nobody's Fool, directed by Robert Benton, and released in 1994, and was well-reviewed. The main attribute is that it's all about Mr. Newman's extremely low-key, spectacular performance. One may hardly see the wheels turning.

My confusion comes into play as the new 4k should look brilliant, especially as it was photographed by John Bailey - but it's just okay.

The image does't jump off the screen like a newly harvest 4k from an OCN, and I'm wondering if it's somehow an older 4k transfer that Paramount has "refreshed."

I honestly don't know what that means either.

Bottom line, it's nice to have Nobody's Fool on a current format. I'd also love to see someone bring out the 1986 Nobody's Fool which seems to be languishing.

As to specifics, color seems fine, grain is there, but iffy -- this is a more than okay 4k, that probably would have made a very nice Blu-ray, and that may be the Kino edition to add to one's library.

Image - 3.75 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS -HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Not really

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since this is having a separate Blu-ray release in addition to this combo 4K/UHD and Blu-ray release, people have a choice. For me, I'm getting the 4K release as I'm expecting the 4K Dolby Vision to look great on my OLEDs.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Since this is having a separate Blu-ray release in addition to this combo 4K/UHD and Blu-ray release, people have a choice. For me, I'm getting the 4K release as I'm expecting the 4K Dolby Vision to look great on my OLEDs.
Be interesting if you can find time to compare.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I got the Imprint Blu-ray ages ago, and hadn't even had a chance to watch it yet before Kino's UHD was announced. Been holding off ever since. Now I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know if Paramount supplied the same master to ViaVision, or is this indeed a newer one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks