What's new

Titanic (1997) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just watched the new trailer and it states it will be available in 2D.

Thanks. I hope this ends up being the case.

I guess we'll see what happens, but all of the showtimes listed near me when I posted about it were 3D. All the showtimes around me back in 2012 were also 3D. So I'm not holding my breath, but I'd be very happy if there were some 2D times added when theaters finalize all their showtimes for that week.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks. I hope this ends up being the case.

I guess we'll see what happens, but all of the showtimes listed near me when I posted about it were 3D. All the showtimes around me back in 2012 were also 3D. So I'm not holding my breath, but I'd be very happy if there were some 2D times added when theaters finalize all their showtimes for that week.
Blame the theater owners in your area then if they don’t book the 2D version, not Cameron. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Theaters typically do not announce all of their showtimes until much closer to release date - in my area, showtimes come out Wednesday for the new week beginning the following day (Thursday). If it is a film they have a contractual obligation to release advance sales for, they will typically book one auditorium in advance to fulfill that requirement and then publish the rest of the showtimes on the normal date. It appears that is what is happening here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Blame the theater owners in your area then if they don’t book the 2D version, not Cameron. ;)

Just to be clear, I have moved and am in a completely different part of the country now than I was in 2012. So it wouldn't be theater owners in one area deciding again not to show the 2D version. It would be two completely different places where the same thing is happening.

If other people can find 2D screenings and I can't, then by all means I will admit that there are 2D screenings happening elsewhere. It's certainly possible that they will add 2D screenings during the week of the release and I hope that is the case. I don't feel like I need to buy tickets several weeks out for Titanic so was always planning to buy mine on the day of release anyway.

But as of right now, it appears to be a decision from on high that this film is being reissued in 3D. I would love for you to be right about a 2D option and for me to be wrong because I would like to see it.

We'll see what happens.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Probably working out contractual and scheduling details regarding the premium formats, which remain with Avatar and which go to Titanic.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Can someone explain to me how this will be both 3D and 4K? I thought all digital 3D technology was currently still limited to 2K.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can someone explain to me how this will be both 3D and 4K? I thought all digital 3D technology was currently still limited to 2K.

The official DCP specs provide for only 2K resolution for 3D content.

However, IMAX and Dolby Cinemas use their own proprietary equipment and DCP formats and can display 3D in 4K - if, and it’s a big if - the studio has gone to the trouble to actually create a 4K 3D master. That’s only happened in an extremely limited number of cases - the two Ang Lee HFR movies, and now Avatar 2.

That's the home standard. All the Marvel movies and Avatar, etc. are 4K and 3-D.

Not quite, unfortunately. See above.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Just to be clear, I have moved and am in a completely different part of the country now than I was in 2012. So it wouldn't be theater owners in one area deciding again not to show the 2D version. It would be two completely different places where the same thing is happening.

If other people can find 2D screenings and I can't, then by all means I will admit that there are 2D screenings happening elsewhere. It's certainly possible that they will add 2D screenings during the week of the release and I hope that is the case. I don't feel like I need to buy tickets several weeks out for Titanic so was always planning to buy mine on the day of release anyway.

But as of right now, it appears to be a decision from on high that this film is being reissued in 3D. I would love for you to be right about a 2D option and for me to be wrong because I would like to see it.

We'll see what happens.
If it's a limited release, and each theater is only dedicating one auditorium, the 3D version is probably going to be the norm. A quick search of Fandango shows that, out of 23 theaters within 50 miles of me, only one appears to be showing it in 2D. One.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Isn't IMAX laser 4K?

EDIT: Either way, I'm going back and editing my post. The internet has enough misinformation so it doesn't need mine. :laugh:

The IMAX laser projectors are 4K but that doesn’t mean everything shown on them is actually in 4K, the same way we can have UHD TVs at home and still watch DVDs on them.

Because there’s almost no market for 4K 3D DCPs, the DCP spec hasn’t been updated to support them, and studios don’t spend the money to do 3D conversions in 4K because there’s no way to monetize that extra effort.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, for a movie mastered in 4K, the DCP options provided by the studio are 4K 2D and 2K 3D.

So if you went and saw Wakanda Forever in IMAX for example, if you saw the 2D version that was in 4K, and if you saw the 3D version, that was in 2K.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it's a limited release, and each theater is only dedicating one auditorium, the 3D version is probably going to be the norm. A quick search of Fandango shows that, out of 23 theaters within 50 miles of me, only one appears to be showing it in 2D. One.
I'm perfectly happy with the 3D version but if it were up to me, I'd stick with the 2D (since it's the original version) but yeah, I'd bet that this release will be overwhelmingly 3D. Cameron loves 3D and he clearly has the juice to continue getting what he wants and the studio & theaters aren't likely to turn down a chance to charge people more money for 3D.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd bet that this release will be overwhelmingly 3D. Cameron loves 3D and he clearly has the juice to continue getting what he wants

Exactly. That's why I do think it is Cameron's choice to make this primarily 3D. If he wanted the 2D version to be widely available in addition to the 3D, it would be. But right now, it does not appear that it will. I respect the fact that he loves 3D, but I don't feel like he understands or cares that some people don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks