What's new

Timeless New Acquisitions! (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Please let them stay with Four Star for one reason I've pleaded for more times than I care to remember!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
THE REBEL is a must buy for me, so very happy with this news.

Vintage western series comprise some of the finest programming in the history of American television and every new release is cause for celebration. That period of television was without question one of the best in terms of embracing superb writing, directing and acting. The plethora and spectrum of westerns back then yielded an amazingly fertile canvas for exploring humanity in all its facets and complexity. I always feel a little sad for those who have no affection for the genre as they are missing artistic levels of television that we will most likely never see again.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Professor Echo said:

Vintage western series comprise some of the finest programming in the history of American television and every new release is cause for celebration. That period of television was without question one of the best in terms of embracing superb writing, directing and acting. The plethora and spectrum of westerns back then yielded an amazingly fertile canvas for exploring humanity in all its facets and complexity. I always feel a little sad for those who have no affection for the genre as they are missing artistic levels of television that we will most likely never see again.

Agree wholeheartedly. Here are just a few of the terrific westerns from that era:

The Virginian

Bonanza

Black Saddle

The Loner (created by Rod Serling)

The Rebel

Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp

Trackdown

Wanted Dead or Alive

The Rifleman

Tales of Wells Fargo

Rawhide

Wagon Train

Maverick

Cheyenne

Gunsmoke

to name a few.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
There were actually over 120 western series from the early 50's to late 60's including some aimed at the kids market. Not all of them were great but all tend to be watchable. A lot have been released thankfully so the genre must still have an audience.

I can still find a space on my shelf for a few more.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm overdosed as it is on westerns from this era. The essential titles for me in that genre or finished or in the case of "Gunsmoke" have their best era out on DVD that at this point, with the singular exception of "The Alaskans" there isn't a single title left in the genre I'd give a blind buy view of.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
I'm overdosed as it is on westerns from this era. The essential titles for me in that genre or finished or in the case of "Gunsmoke" have their best era out on DVD that at this point, with the singular exception of "The Alaskans" there isn't a single title left in the genre I'd give a blind buy view of.
With the Rebel coming, only Trackdown and the soon to be released Lawman are left for me.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Silverking said:
As they are also releasing 'Science Fiction Theater' which was the last of the Ziv titles they acquired it will be interesting to see where they go next, if at all.

Not true. Target was also in that deal and we haven't seen that one yet.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Professor Echo said:

In the last couple of years, since buying that Mill Creek set with 150 TV western episodes, I've plunged back into classic TV westerns with a vengeance--on DVD, Encore Western Channel and YouTube--and I'm rarely disappointed in anything I see. I liked a lot of these as a kid, but to see how well they hold up as a grown-up after not seeing many of these shows in 50 years is pretty amazing. Plus, I'm seeing a lot of shows I never saw as a kid and discovering stuff on YouTube that I'd never even heard of before, e.g. "Buckskin" and "The Gray Ghost" (aka "Mosby's Rangers"). And in Richard V's post above, he mentions "Black Saddle," which I'd never even heard of, so there's always more to discover.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Professor Echo said:

A late friend of mine liked to say, "Any story that can be told is best told in a western."

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:

So I take it the three other high profile ZIV Shows, "Boston Blackie" , "I Led 3 Lives", and "Men into Space" were not part of the deal?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
So I take it the three other high profile ZIV Shows, "Boston Blackie" , "I Led 3 Lives", and "Men into Space" were not part of the deal?

Go to the start of the thread if you want to know what was in the deal.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Neil Brock said:
Any idea when Target is released? It would really cap my Adolphe Menjou collection... ;^)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Anyone know if Timeless plans to Complete Zane Grey Theater with the 4th and 5th seasons?

From what I am hearing, no, there aren't plans to continue. However, the good news is that Grit TV, which thus far is running everything uncut, airs the show 4 times a day, 5 days a week. Season four should be starting shortly so this is a good place to pick up the last 2 seasons. Check your local listings!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Neil Brock said:
From what I am hearing, no, there aren't plans to continue. However, the good news is that Grit TV, which thus far is running everything uncut, airs the show 4 times a day, 5 days a week. Season four should be starting shortly so this is a good place to pick up the last 2 seasons. Check your local listings!

Neil, were the sales for Zane Grey Theatre less than hoped for? I have enjoyed the show a lot, and don't have cable, so I had been hoping that Timeless might release the last two seasons.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
GMBurns said:
Neil, were the sales for Zane Grey Theatre less than hoped for? I have enjoyed the show a lot, and don't have cable, so I had been hoping that Timeless might release the last two seasons.

Sales were weak, combined with the matter of this being a Fox owned show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks