What's new

Timeless New Acquisitions! (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm not sure why Shout even bought them out to be honest with you. It's not like it's the old traditional "let's buy the competition to put them out of the business" transaction. Timeless was releasing totally different material (Westerns/some early b/w dramas) than Shout and not taking any of the market they were aiming at. Way different demographic than what Shout was marketing to (70-80's sitcoms/dramas) It seems like they just bought them for the sole purpose of putting the brand effectively out of the market as evidenced by the fact they have done little with it. The Rebel release appears to more an exception than a rule at this point.
Damn shame if you ask me.
You know as bizarre as it sounds , it makes sense considering what's happened since the buy out . Why buy a company that's known for releasing a specific type of programming , and then stop issuing that type of programming once you acquire the company ?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
LouA said:
You know as bizarre as it sounds , it makes sense considering what's happened since the buy out . Why buy a company that's known for releasing a specific type of programming , and then stop issuing that type of programming once you acquire the company ?
It would only make business sense if the buying company had interest or a history of releasing the same type of programming, Which they obviously don't.

Looks to me on the outside that Shout simply wanted them out of the market. Maybe it was a personal thing. Who knows. Either way, they've gained nothing by what they have done. But I guess they lost nothing either. We are the ones who lost.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Except for our group of hardcore collectors with varied vintage TV interests, generally speaking, the guy out there buying Wagon Train and Will Sonnett is not near the same demo as the guy buying Hill Street Blues and LA Law. All I'm saying is I never saw Timeless as anything close to direct competition for Shout Factory.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'll be really disappointed if we do find out that Shout was so vindictive that they acquired Timeless merely to boot them out of Dodge. It may have been a legitimately calculated business move but the profitability just hasn't panned out like Shout might have hoped. I'm wondering if Timeless had ways to stay afloat with lower sales numbers than what Shout requires to keep their business going. Whatever the reasons, the apparent slowdown of the Timeless brand is a major bummer. I have loved all the stuff I've been able to get from Timeless over the years, especially the murky and edited Checkmate. There are still some goodies out there they might have released had they remained a separate entity. It's too bad that there is no longer anyone championing the kind of releases that Timeless had become known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks