Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Title: Coming 2 America

Tagline: The sequel is in the heir.

Genre: Comedy

Director: Craig Brewer

Cast: Eddie Murphy, James Earl Jones, Arsenio Hall, Jermaine Fowler, Shari Headley, Teyana Taylor, Michael Blackson, Louie Anderson, Paul Bates, Wesley Snipes, Leslie Jones, KiKi Layne, Rick Ross, John Amos, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Tracy Morgan, Rotimi, Nomzamo Mbatha, Garcelle Beauvais, Alannah Wilhite, Wizkid

Release: 2021-03-05

Plot: Former Prince Akeem Joffer is set to become King of Zamunda when he discovers he has a son he never knew about in America – a street savvy Queens native named Lavelle. Honoring his royal father's dying wish to groom this son as the crown prince, Akeem and Semmi set off to America once again.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
565411c2-3454-455e-94f2-03d5e207cb01.png
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] AMAZON STUDIOS ACQUIRES COMING 2 AMERICA
FROM PARAMOUNT PICTURES

The Highly-Anticipated Eddie Murphy-Starring Sequel to the Classic Comedy will Launch Globally on Amazon Prime Video on March 5, 2021

Culver City, CA – November 20, 2020 – Amazon Studios has acquired worldwide rights to Coming 2 America from Paramount Pictures. This long-awaited sequel to the iconic comedy Coming to America will launch worldwide in over 240 countries and territories on Prime Video on March 5, 2021.

Set in the lush and royal country of Zamunda, newly-crowned King Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and his trusted confidante Semmi(Arsenio Hall) embark on an all-new hilarious adventure that has them traversing the globe from their great African nation to the borough of Queens, New York – where it all began. Original cast favorites from Coming to America return including King Jaffe Joffer (James Earl Jones), Queen Lisa (Shari Headley), Cleo McDowell (John Amos), Maurice (Louie Anderson) and the motley barbershop crew. Joining this star-studded ensemble are Wesley Snipes, Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan, Jermaine Fowler, Bella Murphy, Rotimi, KiKi Layne, Nomzamo Mbatha and Teyana Taylor, making Coming 2 America the most anticipated comedy film of the year.

Coming to America was a cultural phenomenon that is one of the most loved and celebrated comedies of all time,” said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios. “Thanks to Eddie Murphy’s comedic genius along with the brilliant filmmakers, writers and fabulous cast, we couldn’t be more excited to celebrate this new adventure. We know audiences around the world will fall in love with this hilarious, joyful movie that will surely become a timeless favorite.”

“What could be better than a return to Zamunda? We are so excited for Amazon Studios to bring Eddie Murphy and Coming 2 America to a worldwide audience where they can laugh again with characters they have loved for 30 years, and meet new ones that they will love for years to come,” said producer Kevin Misher.

Coming 2 America is directed by Craig Brewer, from Paramount Pictures in association with New Republic Pictures, and produced by Eddie Murphy Productions and Misher Films. The screenplay is written by Kenya Barris, Barry W. Blaustein and David Sheffield, with story by Barry W. Blaustein, David Sheffield and Justin Kanew, based on characters created by Eddie Murphy. The producers are Kevin Misher and Eddie Murphy, executive producers are Brian Oliver, Bradley Fischer, Valerii An, Kenya Barris, Charisse Hewitt-Webster, Michele Imperato Stabile and Andy Berman.

Coming to America opened in theaters in 1988 to become a box office sensation achieving over $288 million in total worldwide box office gross. The comedy was translated to over 25 languages around the globe, known in other countries as Un Prince à New York in France, Der Prinz aus Zamunda in Germany, Un Príncipe en Nueva York throughout Latin America, Il Principe Cerca Moglie in Italy and many more – to become the iconic movie we all know and love today. Beyond its financial success, the film was a cultural zeitgeist that was not only timeless but also a proudly celebrated American comedy, making the film a go-to classic across generations. The memorable characters and relatable story of a fish-out-of-water connected audiences around the world, which is why fans have made it a repeat-viewing over the years.
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does anyone else think Coming 2 America is a ridiculous title for this? If you pronounce it instead of writing it out, it sounds exactly the same as the title for the first film. So I think that will inadvertently lead to some confusion.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That seems to be the trend these days anyway, just recycle the same title for sequels. Such as the latest Halloween sequel, and the upcoming The Suicide Squad and Scream.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I hope this film does what Amazon expects but I have my doubts. Some classics are better left alone.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

2nd trailer has dropped.

Actually looks more interesting now. I would have seen it in any event, but I thought that the premise of Eddie returning to America to find a long-lost son was just rehashing the original. But seeing there could be a good chunk of time spent in Zamunda, with exploration of why his own daughter is not the heir, makes it more interesting. Hopefully this will not be Home Alone 2.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Interesting, so this should not be called Coming to America.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's just brilliant.

And while Home Alone 2 is not as good as the first, I will say the song by Darlene Love is tremendous (All Alone on Christmas), and a holiday tradition for me. It's written by Steve Van Zandt (of the E Street Band), who is friends with Chris Columbus, and the band on the song is the E Street Band. The b-side of the single was an instrumental version by them.

NorgeRunner

Agent
Real Name
Martin
30 minutes in and not a single laugh. Seeing all these characters looking so old and tired makes me really appreciate the first one more.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
As I am not an Eddie Murphy fan ,I won't be seeing COMINING TO AMERICA 2,.The original one seen 32 years ago was a yawn in my opinion. The reviews for the sequel are very disappointing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I understand that Paramount wanted to sell the movie to Amazon so that Amazon would pay them and make them whole on what it cost to make the film. However, I think it's a little odd that this film is dropping on Amazon the same week that Paramount relaunches their own streaming service. In the short term, it certainly made more sense to take a big check from Amazon, but I wonder what kind of value this would have had as a subscriber exclusive for the rebranded launch of Paramount+ instead. The Amazon deal for both this and the upcoming Without Remorse gave Paramount a quick fusion of cash, but in getting that they gave away two potentially significant titles that could have added value for their own competing service.

The latest SpongueBob movie, which was released in Canada last year but was held back in the U.S. to launch with Paramount+, is also now available at digital stores as a transactional PVOD title. So they didn't even give their own service a window to have that exclusively. Seems like a strange move.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount’s pandemic strategy has largely been to sell off properties when they could get a return that they considered large enough to make them whole. Even prior to the pandemic, their new management has been aggressive about taking things off the slate and moving them to different platforms when they’ve felt the risk at a conventional release was more than it was worth, or as a pre-emotive choice in cases where the film’s quality didn’t meet their expectations.

I think the calculation was just that Amazon’s cash offer was more lucrative than sacrificing the film’s profit potential entirely to boost the service.

I think Paramount has actually been pretty smart. They don’t have a lot of lucrative franchises, and the titles they’ve sold may have more value to partners like Amazon that need content now. If and when audiences return at full force to theaters, there’s a huge logjam of A-list titles waiting to go. Rather than taking a chance of getting lost in the shuffle, they’ve made business moves that take these titles off their balance sheets, which I think will put them in a much more comfortable position than some other studios that just keep pushing stuff back into that logjam.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
James Earl Jones is 90 now. I sure hope he has the opportunity to make at least one more memorable film in a role that suits his talents. This should definitely not be it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks