What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: Brotherhood of the Wolf (EXTENDED CUT) (2001) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
170931389_2168204453316554_5679929276884593826_n.jpg

We’re bring out the beast this Summer with Christophe Gans’ BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF on Blu-ray! Here are the early details we have at current time to share:

• National street date for North America (Region A) is July 27th.
• This is a 2-Disc set, will be presented as a Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
• The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from artist Adam Stothard. This art will be front-facing, and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
• Extras will be announced on a later date.
Pre-orders on our site begin today which includes the Blu-ray plus a rolled 18” x 24” poster of the new art. The poster is exclusive to us and will be made at a limited-run of 700 pieces:
https://bit.ly/3mE5PmC

July 27, 2021

product.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely all over this release. There are a lot of things that I enjoyed about this feature, including its overall visual design, the fight choreography, musical score, and the adventure aspects of the film. Solid adventure yarn that I am looking forward to revisiting.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
UPDATE: SEE THIS POST BELOW

Okay...

So what information is coming to light is that this is the U.S. release and not the extended.

If you want the extended release you will have to order it from Amazon France. This release includess English subtitles.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay...

So what information is coming to light is that this is the U.S. release and not the extended.

If you want the extended release you will have to order it from Amazon France. This release includess English subtitles.

IMO, Shout has dropped the ball as you shouldn't be having a Collector's Edition if you don't include the extended version too.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There's also no indication of a new transfer, even though other titles announced simultaneously trumpeted that. This leads me to assume that the disc will recycle the cruddy transfer from prior releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's also no indication of a new transfer, even though other titles announced simultaneously trumpeted that. This leads me to assume that the disc will recycle the cruddy transfer from prior releases.
Yeah, early indications are we might be screwed.
They might of not been able to get the rights to the extended version.
Then don't call it "Collector's Edition" as the extended version is the better cut of the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going to retract my original thoughts with an apology.

I have been watching feedback from the initial announcement and there was speculation this was not the extended cut.

However, I pulled the actual product information (see below) and note the running time and the notes that follow...

product.jpg

There are three distinct and very different versions of the film:

- The original French/US theatrical cut, running 143 minutes (sometimes listed as 142 minutes).
- The UK cut, running 139 minutes, released on home video in the UK and Australia; in this version, all the scenes involving the Royal Hunter Beauterne are removed and some scenes from "Director's Cut" are added in.
- The "Director's Cut", running 150 minutes (sometimes listed as 152 minutes), released on home video in France and Canada in 2002, and later in the US and other territories.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am going to retract my original thoughts with an apology.

I have been watching feedback from the initial announcement and there was speculation this was not the extended cut.

However, I pulled the actual product information (see below) and note the running time and the notes that follow...

View attachment 94538

There are three distinct and very different versions of the film:

- The original French/US theatrical cut, running 143 minutes (sometimes listed as 142 minutes).
- The UK cut, running 139 minutes, released on home video in the UK and Australia; in this version, all the scenes involving the Royal Hunter Beauterne are removed and some scenes from "Director's Cut" are added in.
- The "Director's Cut", running 150 minutes (sometimes listed as 152 minutes), released on home video in France and Canada in 2002, and later in the US and other territories.
Then they'll get my money and without waiting on a possible sale.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Then they'll get my money and without waiting on a possible sale.

Yes, absolutely. This is the cut that we want. If this is indeed the extended version -- and now it seems that it is -- this will be an immediate purchase without waiting on a sale....

...and I rarely do that with Shout Factory titles

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One last thing...

If you read the comments on Shout Factory's page there is at least one person begging that they release the theatrical version of this film (despite admitting fans want the extended) saying that the theatrical has only been released with English subtitles once on a Brazilian version.

So, yes, that kind of confirms that this disc will only have ONE cut and that will be the extended version

extended.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have the extended cut on a crappy-looking Blu-ray from France. I also have the Canadian DVD release with a bunch of extras that I assume this disc will recycle. If Shout! can come through with a new video remaster, I will happily rebuy the film. Unfortunately, that may be out of their hands. If it's the same mushy, oversaturated transfer I already own, I have no need for another copy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just pulled out my discs of this movie. It's been more than a few years since I last watched this movie so I'm going to refresh my memory regarding the length of the movie and subtitles by playing all of the listed discs below:

10-01-02 DVD 1-Disc from Universal
10-01-02 DVD 3-Disc Collector's Edition from TVA
05-21-07 Blu-ray from Studio Canal Region B France
05-28-07 HD DVD from Optimum Releasing United Kingdom

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the extended cut on a crappy-looking Blu-ray from France. I also have the Canadian DVD release with a bunch of extras that I assume this disc will recycle. If Shout! can come through with a new video remaster, I will happily rebuy the film. Unfortunately, that may be out of their hands. If it's the same mushy, oversaturated transfer I already own, I have no need for another copy.
I'm assuming my 3-Disc DVD set is that Canadian DVD release. I'm not sure if that French Blu-ray I have from Studio Canal is the extended version you're talking about so I need to verify.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm assuming my 3-Disc DVD set is that Canadian DVD release. I'm not sure if that French Blu-ray I have from Studio Canal is the extended version you're talking about so I need to verify.

Yes, the Canadian DVD set was of the 152-minute extended cut and had 3 discs. The DVD was plagued by edge enhancement and compression problems.

The French Blu-ray from Studio Canal is the extended cut. It also does not look very good. (The UK HD DVD was a port of the same contents. Studio Canal licensed out to Optimum in the UK.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just pulled out my discs of this movie. It's been more than a few years since I last watched this movie so I'm going to refresh my memory regarding the length of the movie and subtitles by playing all of the listed discs below:

10-01-02 DVD 1-Disc from Universal
10-01-02 DVD 3-Disc Collector's Edition from TVA
05-21-07 Blu-ray from Studio Canal Region B France
05-28-07 HD DVD from Optimum Releasing United Kingdom
Confirmed the following by actually sampling each disc today:

10-01-02 DVD 1-Disc from Universal (143 minutes with English Audio & Subtitles)
10-01-02 DVD 3-Disc Collector's Edition from TVA/Canada (150 minutes with French Audio & English Subtitles)
05-21-07 Blu-ray from Studio Canal Region B France (150 minutes with French Audio & English Subtitles) (French Audio No Subtitles)
05-28-07 HD DVD from Optimum Releasing United Kingdom (150 minutes with French Audio & English Subtitles)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One last thing...

If you read the comments on Shout Factory's page there is at least one person begging that they release the theatrical version of this film (despite admitting fans want the extended) saying that the theatrical has only been released with English subtitles once on a Brazilian version.

So, yes, that kind of confirms that this disc will only have ONE cut and that will be the extended version

View attachment 94542
I agree with him that at least two versions of the movie should be on this Collector's Edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks