What's new

Timeless New Acquisitions! (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
GMBURNS/Glenn, GRIT-TV is an over-the-air digital station. Have you run a tuner scan lately? Maybe a sub-channel in your area became a GRIT-TV affiliate recently.

Are you in range of WLNE- Channel 6.2 or WBIN- Channel 50.3? They seem to be the only New England GRIT affiliates listed online.

My scans were not picking up METV or GRIT. I found out their broadcast towers were nearby and finally adjusted my antenna until I could pick them up, but I lost reception on some other stations.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Too bad because "Boston Blackie" and "I Led 3 Lives" were two ZIV TV series I was really interested in
[/quote

I'd take those shows or any other ZIV programs Timeless, TGI Direct or anyone else might release .
As Neil Brock illustrated on another thread , there are literally dozens of excellent shows from the 1950's - to the mid 60's that lasted 3 seasons or more , that could be considered for release by companies like Timeless, VCI, Mill Creek , TGI or MPI. Let's hope we get some of them.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Neil Brock said:
Sales were weak, combined with the matter of this being a Fox owned show.

I don't think Timeless and Fox are working together to put out any more seasons at the moment.

As usual, another Fox owned show is stalled or unreleased.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
Sales were weak, combined with the matter of this being a Fox owned show.

Could "Burke's Law" have done worse from them? I'm sorry, but when I saw that Zane Grey Theater was getting a restart but BL wasn't, that's when I knew Timeless's obsession with westerns first had hit a new extreme. And I apologize to those who are fans of ZGT because in an ideal world, *both* should be available and complete but so long as the Four Star Catalog was going to get a second crack then BL was the natural choice IMO after finishing "Big Valley" based on broader cable exposure in general.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Bob Gu said:
My scans were not picking up METV or GRIT. I found out their broadcast towers were nearby and finally adjusted my antenna until I could pick them up, but I lost reception on some other stations.

That happens to me, too. I have to move my antenna about 5 inches in order to pick up GRIT, but I lose my other channels, so I have to move it back when I'm finished.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You know, Ron, no matter how I adjust my antenna, I never lose the religious, shopping, or foreign news in English stations. Heroes and Icons is only receivable late, on cold windless nights.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Jack P said:
Could "Burke's Law" have done worse from them? I'm sorry, but when I saw that Zane Grey Theater was getting a restart but BL wasn't, that's when I knew Timeless's obsession with westerns first had hit a new extreme. And I apologize to those who are fans of ZGT because in an ideal world, *both* should be available and complete but so long as the Four Star Catalog was going to get a second crack then BL was the natural choice IMO after finishing "Big Valley" based on broader cable exposure in general.

Zane Grey Theatre was a "blind buy" for me and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. But if you made me choose, I'd trade all three seasons of ZGT for one measly release of season 2 of Burke's Law. It would be really nice if some kind vendor could find a reason to rescue Amos Burke.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If anything, having just half a loaf all this time with only one more season that's essential to go ("Amos Burke Secret Agent" has to be seen more as a separate entity) has been more frustrating than having no releases period. There's too much a sense of self-consciousness of what's missing in a way that isn't there for a show that's interrupted at say four of eight seasons or what have you, because when so many other shows of 2-3 seasons get the full treatment all at once and this show didn't, that is all the more annoying. And it's not as if we're talking about an extremely obscure title because this show has had more cable exposure than most of the obscure westerns that have had their full runs released, and I'm again sorry if it sounds like I'm dumping on westerns because I have taken advantage of these releases to expose myself to some titles I'd never seen before and gladly gotten the ones I enjoy most (I am especially grateful "Big Valley" was finished), but I think it has to be conceded that the genre does have a disproportionate representation to other genres for the late 50s to mid-60s on DVD overall.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
but I think it has to be conceded that the genre does have a disproportionate representation to other genres for the late 50s to mid-60s on DVD overall.

Because it sells as does science fiction. My 2 favorite genres are short-run 60s sitcoms because that was what I watched when I was a kid, and great dramas, like Bus Stop, Family, etc. (not cop shows). I like lawyer shows, newspaper shows, teacher shows. But none of those sell. Westerns do.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I always thought in the case of Timeless and their westerns first obsession it was because the guy who used to run it was a giant fan. If he'd been less of a western fan and more of a broad-based TV fan of the era, might we not have seen a little more diversity from them? (Certainly enough to get the Universal owned sitcoms of this era we never saw like "Broadside" etc.?)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Shows produced or distributed by Ziv

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I'd assume that once Timeless saw westerns selling well for them, they'd stick with that while it's working. A business that found its niche; its image. When I think of Timeless I see an image of a generic western dvd box in my mind. lol

When the well runs dry they'll try to find something else.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Dave Moritz said:

Great list... though you missed a series:

World of Giants ZIV, 1959, starring Marshall Thompson and Arthur Franz.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Great list... though you missed a series:

World of Giants ZIV, 1959, starring Marshall Thompson and Arthur Franz.
Dave Moritz said:

How about copying and pasting this in a new thread for a Master List of ZIV series and then indicate which ones have been released thus far? I realize it's a bit of an undertaking, but I'm sure that would be a very welcome thread.

I would do it myself, but I'm mostly on mobile these days and have lots of issues with HTF formatting properly. The other day I went to post something and it disappeared without a trace. :(

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
When I look over that list of ZIV titles I get goosebumps at the thought of having all those series on dvd. It won't ever happen, but a fella can dream. And when I take into account all the other studios out there with "as yet to be released" series, if I could only have one studio/producer's works released, ZIV would win hands down. Sure, there are still shows I'd love to see many of the other studios release, but overall ZIV has the most titles that interest me at this point.

Gary "that list really is incredible - I'd buy every title immediately if released" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Professor Echo said:
How about copying and pasting this in a new thread for a Master List of ZIV series and then indicate which ones have been released thus far? I realize it's a bit of an undertaking, but I'm sure that would be a very welcome thread.

I would do it myself, but I'm mostly on mobile these days and have lots of issues with HTF formatting properly. The other day I went to post something and it disappeared without a trace. :(
That happened to me as well, and also a couple of times my post appeared within the post I was quoting . I don't know why this is happening .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
While on the subject of releases on DVD ,why is it that B&W sitcoms releases have been so scarce ? I Love Lucy , Dick Van Dyke , Leave It To Beaver , Car 54, Donna Reed ,and the Honeymooners have all been popular on DVD, so you would think that companies would look into other sitcoms like Life Of Riley, Topper, December Bride People's Choice , etc .

With the westerns , I enjoy the genre and have bought most that have been released . With the release of Rebel ,and Wyatt Earp , not many are left - Trackdown, Black Saddle , Hotel Di Paree come to mind

I hope that Timeless looks into other genres such as 1950's sitcoms , or "childrens" shows like Rin Tin Tin,

Andy's Gang , or Casey Jones .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks