What's new

This is a joke....right?? Another T2 release (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
This is kinda like the Evil Dead Movies:
"If you guys keep buying them, we will keep making them"

Vote with your wallet !

~Rob

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

The Ultimate Edition all ready had DTS ES Matrix and DD EX. Would it really be worth it just to make the back surround discrete? Doesn't seem like a realistic expense. Some schools of thought even say that matrix is actually of better quality because you get more bits per channel that way.
I agree though that I'd be tempted to buy it for a new transfer with no edge enhancement. When I watched the films last time I was saddened how much better the Terminator special Edition looked compared to T2 and that was on a 27" screen, not my new HDTV.
Amazing how the great Cameron films all get crappy treatment for at least the first time around on DVD. Getting to the point maybe we should just save up for HD-dvd treatment for all these re-issues.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
sucks. i guess a new transfer would probably have generated more buzz alot earlier (like at least maybe a year ago?) this whole SE issue came kinda fast.

oh well, will wait for T2.5 ... :p

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Sounded more like speculation to me. And maybe some sour grapes being that it's from the mouth of an MGM contact. I'm sure they really wanted the rights to re-issue BOTH films.

I'm sure they'll tack on a T3 trailer as has become the custom. I just hope if they go to the trouble of a new disc or discs (I got one of the sets that had 2 discs instead of the DV-18 double sided, dual layer--which was actually kind of nice because they had cool disc art, and it's WAY better if you have a changer.) that we will get a new transfer.
They improved Stargate after two EE plagued trasfers, so maybe third time will be the charm for T2 too. I won't hold my breath though. So easy to capitalize on T3 without putting any expense into the set.
Stargate we needed an excuse to buy it the third time.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
From that link:

Speaking with our MGM contact we learned the deal with Artisan didn't go through so each company decided to put out their own re-release. She believes both re-releases will contain "no extra special features from the previous releases."
So now MGM is telling people what's going to be on an Artisan DVD? Sounds to me like they're sore about not getting to release the film themselves and they are trying to get people to not buy the Artisan disc.

If I were Artisan, I'd have some harsh words for a competing studio such as MGM.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I don't think there's going to be a new transfer (I HOPE not...if there is, I'll be a little angry; I didn't want to double-dip until another company got the rights and produced a truly superior edition...and I'll stick by that.)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Now I wouldn't be angry if the transfer was a marked improvement of the director's expanded cut.

Also, if they did remix the stems to DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 the back surround usage would be much more precise. I have that capability in my system and find it to really improve the surround presentation.

Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
MGM has also announced their June lineup of catalog releases as well. In addition to a new $19.95 reprice for The Terminator special edition (same extras, similar cover),

I guess this was bound to happen.

this is taken from today's dvdfile.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I watched the T2: Ultimate Edition DVD today (it arrived in the mail today). I only watched the Special Edition, I have not yet to checked out the extras. IMO, the transfer of T2 is ok. I saw the theatrical version on TV several years ago but I really enjoyed the special edition much more than the theatrical version.

I refuse to purchase T2: Extreme Edition. IMO, Artisan is re-releasing T2 because Terminator 3 opens this year (IMO, this is also way Warner is re-releasing The Matrix because the 2 sequels to the Matrix open this year also.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just thought i would add(since no one else has0 that the earlier image in this thread of the cover art is included in the panphlet of the new stargate dvd.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I agree that T2 was a poor transfer. It wasn't just EE for me either. The opening scene in the future suffered from compression artefacts in the night sky and many dark sequences looked less than perfect. This is a critisism i have of FOTR EE as well but the so called experts seem to think the picture is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks