What's new

Thinking of this JBL H/T setup.. What you think? (1 Viewer)

OmarC

Auditioning
Hi there,

I'm planning on my very first H/T setup. I've recently purchased a Sony STR-DE895, which IMO, is a great receiver for the price I paid ($240 shipped on eBay). I've had several discussions about this at Sound Domain and everyone has mixed opinions, so I wanted to tap you guys for some insight.

I was looking at the JBL E90 pair for the fronts, JBL N-24s for surrounds, and a JBL NCENTERII center. I had the opportunity to check out the fronts at Best Buy, and to me they sound decent.

To take care of the low-end, I was also planning on a homemade powered subwoofer using a RF Power HX2 10" sub I have laying around, and power it with a Parts Express 1000W A/B output stage amp. I currently have this very same driver in my Jeep, installed in a 1.75CF homemade vented box tuned to 28Hz, and it rocks, so I'm very confident that it'll do well for this app.

I've also considered a DIY alternative, and so far I've found possible candidates for the fronts. I'm looking at two Peerless CSX 8" midbasses and a Peerless 1" dome tweeter per each speaker. I'm thinking the two midbasses and the tweeter in a 1.93CF vented enclosure tuned to 36.7Hz, and pad the entire inside of the enclosure with foam. I plotted this out in WinISD and it nets a smooth response curve, beginning to drop out at 77Hz with a -3dB gain at 43.7Hz, which happens to be right around the subwoofer's roll off point if tuned at 32Hz.

I'd provide links to all the products I'm considering, but I currently have "n00b" status and am hence disallowed to include hyperlinks.

So disregarding the price differences.. Should I consider the DIY project or will the JBL setup make me happy?

I appreciate your comments in advance. Thanks.

Omar

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I can put in my $.02 on the sub part. Do not use a car audio driver in a home environment. I know you just have it laying around but the money you will spend to make it sound "good" will be alot and it will never sound even as good as a cheaper home sub. Car drivers are designed to run in alot smaller airspace. So unless your home theater is in a closet, this wouldnt work well.

As far as the speakers go, your fronts look great. But I would go to a slightly larger surround. Also I couldnt find that center on JBL's website.

OmarC

Auditioning
You think so about the sub? Reason why I ask is because I recently built a homemade 2CF subwoofer box tuned to 25Hz for a Pioneer TS-W33C. I used a JBL 80.2, and powered it with a RadioShack 25-amp AC/DC workbench power supply. I was trying to cut corners in choosing the less expensive gear, so I predicted it wouldn't be too loud, but to my surprise it responded well. It's evident that matching up the components this way is limiting, so now I just want to start over with a more powerful subwoofer amp meant for home use.

eBay has the center that I'm looking at, search for item 3082992182.

I meant to choose small surrounds. My living room isn't too large, and ideally I'd like to hang them on the wall, directly facing the middle of my sofa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks