What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Billy Graham is still alive, actually. Perhaps that in of itself is a bit baffling?

In a more general sense, as I get older, there are more and more instances in which I think or assume that someone of note has passed on, only to discover they are still in the realm of the living, or in some cases, were just a bit before I read their online obituary!

CHEERS! :)
Thanks, Tony! I'd have sworn he died a few years back. I guess I'm confusing his retirement with death... Still alive at 98! And a registered Democrat (I didn't know that until I read a bit about him) which, to me, is somewhat unusual as most evangelicals seem to be staunch Republicans.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Tony! I'd have sworn he died a few years back. I guess I'm confusing his retirement with death... Still alive at 98! And a registered Democrat (I didn't know that until I read a bit about him) which, to me, is somewhat unusual as most evangelicals seem to be staunch Republicans.

Being registered is one thing, but his views and the positions he supported have always been typical of the evangelical mainstream.

Realistically until 1980 there was no Republican party in the South to speak of, so anyone in a position of power would have to have had to be officially part of the Democratic Party (southern wing) to be part of the power base. The change of the South from Blue to Red was never a change in actual policies, just a re-registering. I can't see a way for this not to go off the rails so I'll leave it there

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You mean they're still making episodes of The Middle? I thought that show ended two years ago.
ABC moved THE MIDDLE from Wednesday to Tuesday at 8PM at the start of this season. I was finally able to catch the latest episode On Demand this morning. It sucked that I was unable to PVR it due to the annoying (And totally avoidable, with plenty of available repeat time slots!) preemption by the Detroit ABC affiliate, but so it goes!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It baffles me that anyone can actually stand to watch anything on ABC or any other network when their logo is constantly onscreen through the entire show! I've never heard a single logical reason for doing this nor have I heard any concrete evidence of any positive effects this has had. I've noticed ABC now also puts the word "FUNNY" under their logo for the duration of their comedy shows, as if their audience was so dumb they constantly needed to be told that as well.

I've seen a few rerun episodes of The Middle on a local station that shows it without any garbage on the screen, I'd watch the new episodes regularly if the network's presentation was actually watchable.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It baffles me that anyone can actually stand to watch anything on ABC or any other network when their logo is constantly onscreen through the entire show! I've never heard a single logical reason for doing this nor have I heard any concrete evidence of any positive effects this has had. I've noticed ABC now also puts the word "FUNNY" under their logo for the duration of their comedy shows, as if their audience was so dumb they constantly needed to be told that as well.

I've seen a few rerun episodes of The Middle on a local station that shows it without any garbage on the screen, I'd watch the new episodes regularly if the network's presentation was actually watchable.
My guess is the networks do it as a Constant Station identification, and the network promotions for specific segments of their programming is certainly nothing new. Frankly, I don't really pay much attention to such things, these days. However, don't even get me started on burned in logos included on commercial physical media releases! :blink:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can see how that would be annoying, but some how it doesn't bother me although it would if it was on a disc I owned.
In a world where there are hundreds of channels on cable, and the actual channel # is different from the cable channel, I guess the ABC in the corner can be helpful. Also TVs are so much larger today that I guess they think we can spare a corner.
With today's TV shows, perhaps we need to be told we are watching something funny!
The ones I hate are animated advertisements for the next TV show, which take over the bottom of the screen. These are especially annoying when you are trying to see something important on the news and it is obscured by some crap.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
What baffles me is why is the UNITED NATIONS so called? It is far from being 'united' as long as North Korea and Syria can become members. Has the U.N. passed it's use by date? It is time for a league of nations that all have the same values- eg: human rights ;no death penalties; at peace with each other (no wars) and all are democratic etc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This from an Amazon Canada preorder: Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

I had that happen with the both-in-one DVD of the 1958-60 Mike Hammer w/the late Darren McGavin; I had purchased that with a gift card to Amazon (the American one) that I had gotten as a Christmas present from my brother. I put in for it, and waited...and waited...and waited...and waited some more. Finally, after 3-4 months, I said, the smoke with it, and cancelled! I can understand if these sites have to get all the holiday shopping orders done and dusted (and yes, this was one), but Christmas has been long over (it's near to May now of this year), and as such, for me to wait that long was, IMO, inexcusable!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
We just received a junk flyer from Bell for $105.85/month bundled TV/Internet/Phone.

Here's the baffling (And annoying!) part:

INTERNET
. Fast speeds, from 0.13 Mbps to 5 Mbps (?), with most clients getting 2.5 Mbps.

Who in the f**k is Bell kidding with this horsesh*t? These weren't even considered fast speeds a decade ago, MUCH less in 2017?

The question mark in parentheses is mine, but the rest is verbatim from the Bell Flyer!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love that the range is from essentially zero up to 5 Mbps.

Yep, you'll probably get more than zero, but not more than 5 Mbps.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I love that the range is from essentially zero up to 5 Mbps.

Yep, you'll probably get more than zero, but not more than 5 Mbps.
We got rid of Bell 5 years ago, as we were sick and tired of their stupid B.S. While we were supposed to have the much faster Bell Fibre available by 2012, parts of North Bay (Including ours, unfortunately!) STILL can't get that service!

If all goes well, we'll be moving down south in the next year or so. The down side is, in London Ontario, the only 2 options are Rogers or Bell, so we'll have to lose Cogeco if/when we relocate there. In my view, both Rogers and Bell suck big time, but I suppose if we want to keep all of our services (That's another possible issue!), we'll have to decide which is the lesser of 2 evils, when the time comes!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, the folks at WXYZ Detroit are at it, again!

In place of a NEW episode of THE GOLDBERGS, they stuck some PSA about sports med, or something along that line.

At least this time they ARE airing THE GOLDBERGS episode, but apart from time shifting, who wants to view prime time comedy past bloody 1AM? (1:07 AM to be a bit more precise!)

For those who read my previous rant regarding the preempting of a new episode of THE MIDDLE by the same Detroit affiliate last week, their Tuesday night prime time slots were mostly repeat episodes this time!

Honestly, who is making these dumb programming decisions at WXYZ Detroit? Daffy Duck?!!? :blink:

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We just received a junk flyer from Bell for $105.85/month bundled TV/Internet/Phone.

Here's the baffling (And annoying!) part:

INTERNET
. Fast speeds, from 0.13 Mbps to 5 Mbps (?), with most clients getting 2.5 Mbps.

Who in the f**k is Bell kidding with this horsesh*t? These weren't even considered fast speeds a decade ago, MUCH less in 2017?

The question mark in parentheses is mine, but the rest is verbatim from the Bell Flyer!

I get a wonderful 3 Mbps from CenturyLink. It's pathetic, you'd think I was living in Podunkville Montana, but it's Spokane WA, second largest city after Seattle. Comcast/Xfinity, a company I despise, will upgrade me to 100 Mbps, but they want $450 for install and deposit :eek: then $90 a month after that. No phone, no TV since I want to keep DISH. I'm about ready to give up the internet and just go to the library about 1/2 mile away for no charge since I pay my taxes. Dump my phone and go with a cheapo "burner" as the crime shows call them, just pay as I go.

I'm really anti-smart/cell phone, goes back to my last job, mega burn out handling the accounts for over 200 employees. Lived without a mobile phone for years, really don't want to do it again.

People now are so glued to their phones. It's illegal here, but texting, etc. while driving still happens. Saw a girl a few months ago, a block from my house, not paying attention, ran up over the curb, hit a street sign, caused a lot of damage to her car and the yard she drove over. Idiot. Not PC, but have to say it, obviously a female driver, why are they allowed on the roads? (:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I get a wonderful 3 Mbps from CenturyLink. It's pathetic, you'd think I was living in Podunkville Montana, but it's Spokane WA, second largest city after Seattle. Comcast/Xfinity, a company I despise, will upgrade me to 100 Mbps, but they want $450 for install and deposit :eek: then $90 a month after that. No phone, no TV since I want to keep DISH. I'm about ready to give up the internet and just go to the library about 1/2 mile away for no charge since I pay my taxes. Dump my phone and go with a cheapo "burner" as the crime shows call them, just pay as I go.

I'm really anti-smart/cell phone, goes back to my last job, mega burn out handling the accounts for over 200 employees. Lived without a mobile phone for years, really don't want to do it again.

People now are so glued to their phones. It's illegal here, but texting, etc. while driving still happens. Saw a girl a few months ago, a block from my house, not paying attention, ran up over the curb, hit a street sign, caused a lot of damage to her car and the yard she drove over. Idiot. Not PC, but have to say it, obviously a female driver, why are they allowed on the roads? (:

"obviously" a female driver? Aren't you being sexist?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
"obviously" a female driver? Aren't you being sexist?

Yep, probably a bit sexist, but seriously, 9 times out of 10 it's a woman driver causing problems. Not signalling, texting/chatting on her phone, driving a huge SUV all by herself when it could easily hold 10 people. Taking up two parking spaces or using a handicapped space because she's to f**king lazy and says she'll be back in a few minutes, etc. Not picking on women, but they do cause a lot of problems.

Lady bumped into me earlier today while shopping at Trader Joe's. Huge, probably 250 lbs. or more, just not paying attention. Luckily being so obese, it was a soft collision with her ginormous boobs.

May not even have been accidental, she just wanted a feel of my wonderful studly body :dance:

Okay, I'm terrible, and probably a bit sexist, but life goes on. I'm polite, I let things slide, no flipping off people or being rude. Actually quite calm. Even with all the rudeness and misbehavior of people, I just ignore it and walk away. Not worth the effort to get involved.

My only pet peeve is tail-gaiters. If I'm going the speed limit and can't even see their headlights, the closer they get, the slower I go. Really pisses them off, but hey, tough luck.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
That people actually pay good money for horrible movies just because said movies have a "special feature" and they want to support a dead cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks