What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So totally agree with you. There are very few women who can pull off that look, yet every obese 300 lb. woman thinks she looks great. Maybe they have magic carnival fun house mirrors in their homes :lol:

Going with Mike, guys are just as bad with the silly pajama pants. Whatever happened to dignity when out in public?

I live 15 minutes from a 3-college city so there is no shortage of women who look very nice in tights.

Re: the pajama phenomenon - That's been going on here for at least 15 years, although mostly at Walmart and Dollar General.

Anyone remember when men wore suits and women wore skirts while flying?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I live 15 minutes from a 3-college city so there is no shortage of women who look very nice in tights.

Re: the pajama phenomenon - That's been going on here for at least 15 years, although mostly at Walmart and Dollar General.

Anyone remember when men wore suits and women wore skirts while flying?
I'm old enough, but I don't remember that.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm old enough, but I don't remember that.

I never flew back then, but I'm certainly old enough to remember having to get dressed up to go to the doctor. Kids had to wear their Sunday clothes . Mom would always wear a dress and dress shoes to go to the grocery store unless it was a very quick trip.
, Men usually wore their suits. "But Mom, the first thing they do is tell me take all my clothes off. The doctor never sees my clothes anyway!" "Shut up and get dressed" The Doctor strolls into the room smoking a cigarette.

I used to hang out at the Nurses Station and all the nurses and doctors would be puffing away doing their charts and talking about patients.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I never flew back then, but I'm certainly old enough to remember having to get dressed up to go to the doctor. Kids had to wear their Sunday. Mom would always wear a dress and dress shoes to go to the grocery store unless it was a very quick trip.
clothes, Men usually wore their suits. "But Mom, the first thing they do is tell me take all my clothes off. The doctor never sees my clothes anyway!" "Shut up and get dressed" The Doctor strolls into the room smoking a cigarette.

I used to hang out at the Nurses Station and all the nurses and doctors would be puffing away doing their charts and talking about patients.
Speaking of doctors, my doctor was on vacation and had a "floater" fill in for him. Went in for some minor issue, told me I should probably lose a little weight.

This coming from a guy who was easily 400 lbs., more than double my weight. Even my regular doctor, came in one time and he and his staff were all having burgers and fries, but they recommend eating more low fat foods :eek:

Do as I say, not as I do.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
People that lay on the horn behind you when you're stopped at a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it, just because you're obeying the law by waiting for the crosswalk to be clear.
That one has always baffled me. I walk a lot and luckily most drivers here are very courteous, they'll stop and let me cross. I'll just be standing on the corner, waiting for traffic to clear, but people will stop and wave me forward. Yet other times, in a traffic jam with nowhere to go, people are honking at me, totally pointless. What am I supposed to do? Levitate and fly over the traffic?

The funny part is almost always there will be rude drivers zipping in and out, changing lanes. I just wave and smile as we both hit the same red light. People just need to relax, the extra 30 seconds you may save isn't worth the stress.

Even worse are the "texters". Totally illegal here, but nobody cares, I've even seen cops doing it. I just pray one of them doesn't slam into me.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Those aren't tights; those are "yoga pants." :)
They are also the most unattractive "pants" overweight women could wear. Don't they realize how hideous they look? They're certainly not doing yoga in them, unless lounging watching soaps, eating bon-bons and potato chips qualifies.

Okay that was terrible, snarky level back to zero, I'll be nicer to the ladies in the future. :cool:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It always baffles me that Americans use the term 'shipping' when sending mail. This term dates back to a bygone era when mail was indeed sent by ship.To-day,with rare exceptions all mail goes by air. When you go to a post office you 'post' not ship items.You never call the Post Office a Shipping Office do you?

Other things that annoy me: crayfish being sold as lobsters; ice confections being wrongly labelled as Ice Cream; white chocolate items sold as chocolate when chocolate cannot be 'white'; imitation chocolate items (biscuits especially) being sold as 'chocolate'-you have to read the small print on the back to realise that the item is not real chocolate.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Why is it so cold? It's almost mid April and we're still getting freezing weather at night, lucky to hit '40s during the day, even had snow Monday morning.

No gardening or planting new flowers, no yard prep or trimming the shrubs yet. This is ridiculous. Eastern Washington, may as well be Siberia ;)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
All mail doesn't go by air. The bulk of it goes by truck or containers hauled behind semis or often on dedicated intermodal trains operated by Class 1 railroad's like the BNSF. Major competitor UPS also does a ton of rail shipping in the US at high speeds, although I can't say as I've ever seen a Fedex container train (Although they do exist, I don't know of the scale of their rail initiative).

And while the railway post office era closed in the 1970's which ended the era of onboard sorting of mail thanks to automation of the job, Amtrak even hauls a good bit of 1st class mail aboard baggage cars and high speed boxcars. Heck, for many years a dedicated mail train on the Northeast Corridor was operated by Amtrak that didn't haul any passengers which was known as the Fast Mail, until Amtrak left behind their freight initiative in the early 2000's and scaled back, with that train one of the causalities.

And while I don't know much about it, there are even bus runs and domestic water transportation in the USPS network, although I imagine it's safe to say that it's on a small scale. There are USPS postal facilities on large cruise ships, Cunard, and you can obviously send mail to sailors aboard naval vessels or merchant ships for some examples (There's a dedicated mail boat near the locks at Sault Saint Marie that picks up and drops off mail to underway cargo ships, for instance).

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/business/a-mail-boat-stays-afloat.html?_r=0

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
No gardening or planting new flowers, no yard prep or trimming the shrubs yet. This is ridiculous. Eastern Washington, may as well be Siberia ;)

It was the warmest winter on record here near Toronto with almost no snow. I guess that's why they call it climate change now and not global warming.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
white chocolate items sold as chocolate when chocolate cannot be 'white'
I argue with my daughter-in-law all the time that "It's not chocolate! It's just cocoa butter, milk, and sugar!" to which she replies "But it comes from the cocoa bean so it's chocolate!" While that's true, it's not true chocolate as it contains no cocoa solids and none of the benefits thereof.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
imitation chocolate items (biscuits especially) being sold as 'chocolate'-you have to read the small print on the back to realise that the item is not real chocolate.
I think here it has to be labeled as "chocolate flavored" if it doesn't meet the definition of actual chocolate.

Similar labeling is also used for "frozen dairy dessert" vs. real ice cream.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I argue with my daughter-in-law all the time that "It's not chocolate! It's just cocoa butter, milk, and sugar!" to which she replies "But it comes from the cocoa bean so it's chocolate!" While that's true, it's not true chocolate as it contains no cocoa solids and none of the benefits thereof.
Agree with you. Also like you stated, the fact it's "cocoa butter", mostly fat and sugar. Tastes great until you realize what you're eating.

Personally I buy chocolate bars in the 80%-90% range and have a piece a few times a week.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I buy Lindt in the 85%, 90%, and 99% bars and have a square every day. The 99% goes great with a cup of black coffee. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow you are lucky!. We only buy single portions of chocolate because what we buy we finish completely right away as soon as we get home. Who am I kidding! We eat it in the car on the way home!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks