What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That people actually pay good money for horrible movies just because said movies have a "special feature" and they want to support a dead cause.

I've never known a person to buy a Blu-Ray title no matter how bad just for audio commentary.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I worry about your blood pressure! You always come across as being so angry that people enjoy a harmless hobby (3D movies at home) that you don't want to share. If you get so mad at this, which really doesn't matter, what is your reaction to serious matters? Since I retired, I try to "chill out" and not get so perturbed that I don't "rule the world".

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Not in any way mad. Just baffled at the mindset of some folks and their causes or blindly hand companies they don't know anything about their money.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not in any way mad. Just baffled at the mindset of some folks and their causes or blindly hand companies they don't know anything about their money.

Or blindly hand a guy $100 for a thermostat for my furnace. It's 20 years old, exact match. Offered him $10 on eBay, immediate rejection. I'll keep shopping.

My BP is 110/70, pretty good numbers TJPC ;)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Reviews of TV's crack me up (mainly on the sellers website).

So many folks seem to feel the need to post a picture of their TV's image and 98% of the time the review pictures are crooked looking, shown sitting in a giant pile of junk on milk cartons, or washed out looking picture that if anything would make people NOT want to buy the TV vs. showing off how "GREAT!" it is. LOL

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Since when did the 80's worthless dog of a movie "Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn" become a "classic" ??

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why anyone would want to climb Mount Everest.

Watched the film Everest a couple weeks ago, and none of us watching could understand why anyone would even want to attempt it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Why anyone would want to climb Mount Everest.

Watched the film Everest a couple weeks ago, and none of us watching could understand why anyone would even want to attempt it.
Give me $1M, I still wouldn't do it.

#1-I like life.

#2-I hate cold, and even were I to live, I'd like to keep my fingers, toes and nose, not lose them to frostbite.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I never knew they bought horrible Blu Rays just for the steel box.
Kind of an aside, but thought I'd sell off some of my older DVDs. Took a bunch to a pawn shop, figured I'd get $2-$3 each, nope.

Single DVDs, 25¢. Found a website that offered 23¢. Come on, I paid $40 or more for some of these, special editions, special packaging, etc.

I kept them and won't try that again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kind of an aside, but thought I'd sell off some of my older DVDs. Took a bunch to a pawn shop, figured I'd get $2-$3 each, nope.

Single DVDs, 25¢. Found a website that offered 23¢. Come on, I paid $40 or more for some of these, special editions, special packaging, etc.

I kept them and won't try that again.
Yep, there's little to no resale value for physical media unless you have something that's relatively rare and sell it yourself on Ebay, or maybe here on HTF.

I sell some of my castoffs at secondspin.com but you still won't get much (some items are 10 cents, some are a couple dollars, but at least you can look them up and see what they offer). I think the most I've ever got was about $8 for some my X-Files DVD sets I let go when the blu-ray sets came out. They also do a "20% more for your stuff" special a couple times a year that makes it a bit more worthwhile. I don't generally bother selling them anything that's less than $1.

Anything I don't sell there, I just donate to Goodwill.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have experienced this. I put the DVD in one of those disc envelopes and store it with the Blu ray of the same movie. I throw the original packaging out.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just one more :D

Why does Comcast/Xfinity keep sending guys out trying to get me to switch from DISH. At least once a month for the past two years, do they not understand the word "No"? I actually don't even care what kind of deal they may have, I'll never do business with Comcast again, they suck, big time.

I love DISH, great service, great CSRs if I have to call in, free replacement of a DVR a few years ago, lots of extra remotes, all of it with no charge.

When I switched to HD, new receiver, new satellite thing on the roof, all installed with no charge. My hand has memorized the remote, don't even need to look. Why would I switch and start over?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How about constant calls -- sometimes 2 or 3 times a day from Duct cleaning companies? We have laws which prevent people who register on a do-not-call list from receiving unsolicited calls, but shady companies here hire call centres in India to call for them, and since they are over seas they can't be touched.
My response is to be as rude as possible. I even say "let me see if I have it right, you have a job where you try to trick seniors out of their money and steal from poor people. How do you sleep at night? Do your parents know you do this?" This has not cut down on the calls at all, although I have been hung up on and been told to #%*^% off.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How about constant calls -- sometimes 2 or 3 times a day from Duct cleaning companies? We have laws which prevent people who register on a do-not-call list from receiving unsolicited calls, but shady companies here hire call centres in India to call for them, and since they are over seas they can't be touched.
My response is to be as rude as possible. I even say "let me see if I have it right, you have a job where you try to trick seniors out of their money and steal from poor people. How do you sleep at night? Do your parents know you do this?" This has not cut down on the calls at all, although I have been hung up on and been told to #%*^% off.

Only legit/legal companies are bound by Do Not Call anyway. That leaves only the scammers with fake/spoofed numbers and fake offers calling so anyone calling from a spoofed number is not a legit company so I don't answer.
Answering the call is the problem since now they know someone there actually answers the phone and your "active" number goes on the list leading to more phone calls from the same felons. Pressing 1 to be removed from teh list, telling them not to call you, turning down the offer, telling them to f themselves all is irrelevant -- the only thing that matters is you picked up the phone to interact.

I don't know if you are eligible for NoMoRobo, but I can't oversell it. Otherwise some sort of answering machine/Voicemail and/or CallerID. Don't answer unless you recognize the ID or call back if they leave a message. I had gotten to the point that before nomorobo that I didn't answer the phone at all, answering machine picked up at 1 ring, and I'd pick up IF you started talking and wanted to talk to you. Now with NoMoRobo it officially rings once and 95% spam calls get stopped there, the rest of the calls are still screened the same as before though the answering machine doesn't pick up until ring 4. I even programmed the phone not to ring until the official 2nd ring so I never even hear the ring 95% of the calls. They still call (I can see the log), but they don't exist in my world anymore and the phone goes days without actually even ringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks