What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Cute. A little take on the old Monty Python joke.

Therapist, but depending on how you place the camera, could be "The Rapist" :P

That's not from me.

That was from a Saturday Night Live Jeopardy skit where "Sean Connery" picked THERAPISTS (THE RAPISTS) for $200.00.

That was when SNL was on a downhill slide but still occasionally funny.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
There are wired governmental regulations that make me go huh. Breyers used to be good ice cream but now if you look at their labels you will see that most of their ice cream is "frozen dairy dessert". The reason for this is that there is an FDA or FTA or somewhere that defines what ingredients or processes are needed to label Something as ice cream (and I'm greatful for
This rule). OTOH I can't envision why food makers are allowed to label something as "fat free half and half". Half and half is supposed to be half milk and half cream. And afaik cream contains fat.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've seen the same thing with peanut butter. Apparently, to be called PB, it has to contain the hydrogenated oils. If you buy Skippy Natural, with just peanuts, salt, sugar, and palm oil, they have to label it as "peanut butter spread" rather than just PB.

I believe the VT Attorney General's office is also currently looking into the soy and almond "milk" products, arguing that "milk" is defined as a dairy product and the soy/almond varieties contain no dairy.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
There are wired governmental regulations that make me go huh. Breyers used to be good ice cream but now if you look at their labels you will see that most of their ice cream is "frozen dairy dessert". The reason for this is that there is an FDA or FTA or somewhere that defines what ingredients or processes are needed to label Something as ice cream (and I'm greatful for
This rule). OTOH I can't envision why food makers are allowed to label something as "fat free half and half". Half and half is supposed to be half milk and half cream. And afaik cream contains fat.

My mom loves her Breyer's and she warned me of this label change so if she asks me to run to the store to do some shopping for her, I now always make sure to grab the "Ice Cream" carton and not "dairy dessert" carton. It's very deceiving too. The labels look pretty much IDENTICAL. just tiny print shows "ice cream" or the other version.

I usually stick with my fav Blue Bell stuff though. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
People who allow poor picture quality to stop them from watching a otherwise good film.

In that same vein:

People who refuse to watch something in BW for that reason only.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm of the school that if it's watchable then I'll watch it. Heck I've been watching a bunch of old school TV shows now that we don't have DTV and none of them are near being HD quality, but I still get a big kick out of re-watching them.

I am far from an HD snob like a niche of folks around here and other similar sites seem to have.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
People who allow poor picture quality to stop them from watching a otherwise good film.

In that same vein:

Neither of which I have done with M Squad w/the late Lee Marvin; it was B/W, and had poor picture quality, but that poor picture quality didn't stop that 1957-60 NBC police series from being one of the best DVDs I've ever purchased.

I'm of the school that if it's watchable then I'll watch it. Heck I've been watching a bunch of old school TV shows now that we don't have DTV and none of them are near being HD quality, but I still get a big kick out of re-watching them.

I am far from an HD snob like a niche of folks around here and other similar sites seem to have.

Again, if it's something I truly enjoy, it can either have poor picture quality (like M Squad) or it can look like you actually saw it on the network then (like original-recipe Hawaii Five-O), and I would still enjoy it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's a good film, you shouldn't even notice B&W if you're wrapped up in the story. I watched Bette Davis' The Star yesterday and had to stop and think just now if it was B&W or Color (it was B&W).

I also think I got confused because after the film, I watched an episode of Feud: Bette & Joan. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

In that same vein:

For me, it depends on how poor the picture quality is. Every Sunday afternoon, CHCH TV Hamilton broadcasts older films, mostly from the 1930s-1940s. Unfortunately, most of the time, these obvious (To me!) Public Domain prints look so horrible, plus they are always bordered on all 4 sides, I find them very hard to watch, and I usually don't bother to do so.

Regarding the viewing of Black & White films, I do prefer to watch any given title however they were originally produced, or at least as near as extant versions will allow!

CHEERS! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Most of CHCH movies come from an affiliated station called "Silver Screen Classics", which I subscribed to before our cable company acquired TCM. I stopped subscribing because the picture quality was so poor. I think they exclusively use old video masters from the 1960's.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
That was when SNL was on a downhill slide but still occasionally funny.

So any show after apparently 1977-1978 from my memory or people's opinion. Never has such a show existed for
so long while apparently plummeting in quality every year for so many decades.

Every week -- the same comment. "other than that [ insert one skit/one person] SNL sucked again. It hasn't been funny in ages, why doesn't the network just put it out of its misery. It's so far beyond reparable at this point in time."

Of course depending on your age the last funny host, funny Player, Good Musical guest varies just a little.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Most of CHCH movies come from an affiliated station called "Silver Screen Classics", which I subscribed to before our cable company acquired TCM. I stopped subscribing because the picture quality was so poor. I think they exclusively use old video masters from the 1960's.
If I recall correctly, it was while we still had Bell TV that there was a free preview of Silver Screen Classics. Overall, I found it a very poor version of TCM, although I did manage to record a fair number of the old Laurel & Hardy Laughtoons segments, and some early silent one reel comedies. Poor Hal Roach Musical Composer Marvin Hatley's name was misspelled "Hately" (Which certainly did NOT at all describe Marvin's personality!) in the closing credits for every one of those segments!

I wish that our cable company would acquire TCM, but my understanding is that they are somehow legally barred (Presumably by the larger cable/satellite companies?) from doing so! :(

CHEERS! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
So any show after apparently 1977-1978 from my memory or people's opinion. Never has such a show existed for
so long while apparently plummeting in quality every year for so many decades.

Every week -- the same comment. "other than that [ insert one skit/one person] SNL sucked again. It hasn't been funny in ages, why doesn't the network just put it out of its misery. It's so far beyond reparable at this point in time."

Of course depending on your age the last funny host, funny Player, Good Musical guest varies just a little.

We were loyal SNL viewers from the start, but found the quality and appeal varied wildly depending on the personnel. What ever the Adam Sandler period was, it lost us as viewers. We could never stand him and would fast forward through all his appearances. We finally realized that we were fast forwarding through almost all the show, and we stopped watching. A few seasons later after Adam Sandler left, we started watching again. Today I think it is sometimes one of the funniest shows on television.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I actually agree -- I think some of the last 5-10 years easily equal the early years (or 80's or 90's or 00's whenever you think it the Greatest Generation of Players). I just think people forget how uneven the show has always been -- year to year, week to week, and certainly intra show.

Watching some of those "unedited for time, not Best of" early season shows had the exact kind of hit or miss nature to me. SNL like any popular show of any length has the cool kid vibe where 'It was only good when .. ' issues. It's outlasted half dozen or dozen "New kid on the block, Much cooler than that tired old SNL which has lost its edge and only panders to the lemmings" shows and came out fine for me .

Stan

Senior HTF Member

I'm almost suffering from OCD with label reading now. The manufacturers are very sneaky, so you've got to be careful.

Just a simple container of sour cream. One will contain only sour cream, another may have a list of 20 ingredients, thickeners, flavoring, oil, etc.. because it's the fake version. Fat free half and half is another big offender, read the labels and you'll realize what a phony product you're buying. Just buy regular half and half, get the real thing and maybe cut back a bit on how much you use.

Also ticking me off is the continual shrinking of containers, although the price always stays the same. Tuna used to be in 7 ounce cans, then 6, 5.5 and now 5 ounces (although Costco sells pretty good sized cans of high quality tuna), but did the price ever change? Nope.

Told this story in an earlier post, but Dannon started advertising "New four-paks coming soon" rather than the usual six-paks. When they finally showed up, price was the same, just 1/3 less product. That brand is off my shopping list forever more.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yep... totally baffled that manufacturers make smaller packaging at the same price and tout it as "improved" or "new." Lots of brands or products have left our purchasing list for that one simple reason. And I always let the manufacturer know we dropped their product and why, not that it does any good as most reply with a "We're sorry you feel that way."

Be honest. Keep the package size the same and actually raise the price if that's what you have to do but don't play these stupid games.

Of course it baffles me that many people just don't notice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Be honest. Keep the package size the same and actually raise the price if that's what you have to do but don't play these stupid games.
I imagine they'd only do this if all their competitors did the same. Many people probably don't look at the specific amount of the contents (probably why more people don't protest the shrinking packages). So if they see two competing items on the shelf, one at a lower price and one at a higher price, they're likely to select the lower priced item, probably not even noticing they're getting less product. This would put those that keep the same package size, but raise the price, at a competitive disadvantage.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That's exactly it -- manufacturers figured that people would not notice as much if they reduced the amount of product slightly instead of increasing the price for the same amount. It probably works out the same in the long run, but it is irritating.

Remember when every non-specialty brand sold ice cream in half-gallon containers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks