What's new

"Thieves" and Melissa George (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I don't know about anyone else, but I am enjoying "Thieves" alot. John Stamos is surprizingly good in this show. I call the show a cross between "Thomas Crown Affair" and "Moonlighting". It's just mindless fun.
Plus, Melissa George is gorgeous. Her pouty lips and Austrailian accent make her extremely hot.
thv_photogallery_melissaheadshot.jpg

Is anyone else watching this show?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I've watched the show, but for those wishing to check out more of Ms. George's charms, go watch Dark City. :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I love Thieves (I have put it on my list of TV Series I would buy on DVD). In a weird way it reminds me of Due South in the sense that it is a formulaic idea done extremely well with very personable actors (they could use more Tone Loc).

Melissa George is adorable!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's my guilty pleasure this year, primarily because of the lovely Miss George and the underused Tone Loc. I won't exactly miss "Thieves" for more than five minutes if ABC cancels it - it's a pretty slight hour, and truth be told I'd probably figure it's for the good when Melissa George and Robert Knepper end up in something better.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I agree... I can't imagine the series going one for years at it's current pace. It just gets old. Sexual tension. Wow. Next. I watch it but if it gets cancelled no biggie. I do agree though that both Stamos and George are pretty good in it. They just need better writers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have plenty, but I won't be posting any of them.

If you ever rummage in the celeb newsgroups, she shows up periodically.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed (Scroll down to "Out Like Thieves")
And, five minutes later, I'm glad there won't be Replay collisions with "Farscape" when that returns. :)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I just saw (heard) one of those "A new episode of Theives this Friday" during the credits of Alias. At the time I thought, "Man, is that show still on?"

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what ABC is thinking. Friday and Saturday nights are the lowest watched nights of TV anyway so who cares what's on? Thieves didn't look all that expensive to produce. They could have just let the show finish off it's 13 episode run (and since they hadn't shot the last three episodes they could have tied everything up in the end).

That's why I like what the British do. They order 6 or 13 episodes of a TV Show and call that a season and let a show run it's course.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I agree with you. What were they expecting??

I wish the networks would give up this mentality of "If it's not a hit after 6 episodes we'll cancel it". At least finish the damn season, out of respect for the viewers that DO follow it. How much money does ABC (Disney-owned) make anyway? Can't they afford to take a chance?

/Mike

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Thieves didn't look all that expensive to produce. "

Well, I don't think it cost as much as "JAG" or "Seinfeld", but I did notice a lot of location/exterior shooting - which is more expensive and time-consuming than a soundstage-based show. The show also had a lot of executive producers, including the star and the Kopelsons.

And why should ABC (or any network) throw good money after bad? Personally, I think it's in their interests to at least air the two completed episodes that they've already paid for, but if someone there thinks they'll get a better return on investment shelving them and airing "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" reruns, well, they probably know the business better than I do.

Besides, TV networks make very little money, if any; they exist to funnel programming toward the local stations owned by the parent company and, recently, give the parent company's production arm a distributor. Maybe if "Thieves" had been produced by Touchstone or aired on WB, it would have been better, but most likely "Thieves" wasn't making anyone money - not the affiliates paying ABC for programming and selling advertisements, not ABC, and likely not even Warner, since studios usually sell new series to networks at below production cost, figuring they'll make it up later on either "ER"-sized renewal deals or third-run cable/syndication deals.

I hate quick hooks as much as anyone in the audience, but given the economics of TV production nowadays, I understand them. If a show isn't helping anyone, why keep it going?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks