What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Affair -- DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have been aware of Showtime's The Affair, but with the exception of viewing the first episode in broadcast, haven't found the time to take a serious look at the series.

Those familiar with Rashomon will find comfort here, as reality, perception and perspectives of various characters, blossom as the series gains speed, and more interrelationships and points of view arrive.

The name of the show, The Affair, actually gives us little to go on, as the series is less about an affair, than about the tendrils of that affair, and how it affects multiple relationships.

Woven throughout, almost like a wonderful McGuffin, or to some, MacGuffin, of a police procedural regarding something that may or may not have occurred, and what that actually might be wafts across the surface of the series, much like a bit of vermouth over a martini.

There is a danger to this series, as once you get through the first couple of episodes, it's far to easy to get hooked.

But that's where the Paramount / CBS release comes in handy.

Binge viewing.

Let's go into some specifics.

The series has been shot substantially by Steve Fierberg, who has quite a CV. One might compare the style here to that of Entourage, although some feel that an DP should not have a style.

The series has been shot with an Alexa, and finished in 2k for HD broadcast, and here's where it gets interesting.

Somewhere along the food chain, a decision was made to release the series for disc consumption, not on Blu-ray, but down-rezzed to DVD. While I originally found this questionable (and I'd still prefer BD), the eye adjusts, and even on a large screen via projection, seated at a nominal distance, the images look superb.

While one can never be certain where the overall style of the show comes from, a quick look at the list of directors can at least be instructive, and you'll find some interesting names.

Episode 1 was directed by Mark Mylod, who among his many other credits, has 44 episodes of Shamless, and 37 of Entourage to his credit. Episode 2 has Jeffrey Reiner in the director's chair, and he has helmed the majority of the shows.

But then, as you look further, you'll find some interesting "guest" directors.

Carl Franklin, Ryan Fleck, Anna Boden, Laura Innes, Michael Clovis, Scott Winant, and one of my personal favorites, John Dahl. Not heard of some. Look them up.

One further point of discussion, and something that I brought up in another thread.

Since the beginnings of entertainment, most notably the Elizabethan era, casts were made up totally of men, in early films, actors in blackface portraying blacks, various and sundry white and Hispanic actors in the roles of Native Americans -- think Henry Brandon (born in Germany) as Scar.

When I call tech support, or customer service, especially during normal business hours here in the Colonies, I like to find myself connected to someone stateside, and not sent off to Indonesia, India or elsewhere. To many people here without jobs. Try calling Samsung sometime, and you'll generally find yourself speaking to someone on the other side of the world, with zero ability to actually discuss the products of the company they represent -- 4k players, anyone?

That concept continues with actors from different parts of the globe, being imported, and forced to speak in tongues unnatural to their daily life. I believe I noted poor Daniel Radcliffe, who did such a wonderful job in Hot to Succeed, being asked to do a British accent in Now You See Me 2, and not quite pulling it off -- even when playing against actors with very defined Amurican accents, such as Mark Ruffalo and Wood Harrelson.

This occurs all the time, with actors being imported from the UK to fill roles that could easily go to domestic players.

Consider Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, being put upon to not only work with a very foreign accent, but then to lower his tonality by fourteen octaves.

I make note of this in regard to The Affair as both leads, Dominic West and Ruth Wilson, both superb talents, are asked to play Americans.

The problem here, for American actors, to whom the roles might have gone, is that they do it so perfectly (well, almost -- I do feel that within one of the 22 episodes, I did detect a single word, as spoken by Ms Wilson, that seemed a bit more British in pronunciation, that Amurican), that I cannot imagine anyone else in their roles.

Perfect? I believe so. Much like the other players, Maura Tierney, Joshua Jackson, the newly minted Julia Goldani Telles, Colin Donnell, Josh Stamberg, Victor Williams, Mare Winningham, Kathleen Chalfont, and one of my favorites, Richard Schiff, who before becoming a staple on The West Wing, was in a myriad of other shows.

The bottom line here, is that The Affair is an intelligent, multi-layered entertainment,with a wonderful catch -- multiple perspectives.

Watch closely, and you'll begin to notice sometimes, extremely tiny differences in words, inflection, and on a larger scale, costume, hair, lighting, location...

And we realize that the characters are sometimes seeing the same occurrences in totally different ways.

The show may be a bit of a soap opera, and has enough nudity to offend the entire Counsel of Bishops, but always intelligent, always keeping the audience guessing, and always just a step ahead.

Would I prefer it on Blu-ray?

Absolutely. But we have what we have.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you for your comments Mr. Harris.
I have binge watched on separate occasions Seasons 1&2; agree with the comments of Mr. Harris regarding potential "soap" elements but have found both seasons to be highly engaging and entertaining. I admire the performances of the leads and have particularly enjoyed Maura Tierney in her role.
Looking forward to S3.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That concept continues with actors from different parts of the globe, being imported, and forced to speak in tongues unnatural to their daily life. I believe I noted poor Daniel Radcliffe, who did such a wonderful job in Hot to Succeed, being asked to do a British accent in Now You See Me 2, and not quite pulling it off -- even when playing against actors with very defined Amurican accents, such as Mark Ruffalo and Wood Harrelson.

Perhaps poor Daniel Radcliffe's problem in NOW YOU'VE SEEN ME 2 (I haven't seen it, so I cannot say!) might have been in attempting a different regional UK accent, other than his native one? He's definitely a native Brit, in any case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Radcliffe

Please kindly beg my pardon for the above digression, but Daniel Radcliffe's about as American as Cricket. That's just the way it is.

THE AFFAIR does sound like a very interesting concept, by the way!

CHEERS! :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Perhaps poor Daniel Radcliffe's problem in NOW YOU'VE SEEN ME 2 (I haven't seen it, so I cannot say!) might have been in attempting a different regional UK accent, other than his native one? He's definitely a native Brit, in any case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Radcliffe

Please kindly beg my pardon for the above digression, but Daniel Radcliffe's about as American as Cricket. That's just the way it is.

THE AFFAIR does sound like a very interesting concept, by the way!

I've hear from many, many sources, that Mr. Radcliffe was actually born in South Porcupine, in Canada, and moved, with his family to the UK, for a short period of time during his youth.

They then relocated to the Los Angeles area, where he is known to have attended public schools in Hollywood.

There are some really amazing sources for this. Don't be misled.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've hear from many, many sources, that Mr. Radcliffe was actually born in South Porcupine, in Canada, and moved, with his family to the UK, for a short period of time during his youth.

They then relocated to the Los Angeles area, where he is known to have attended public schools in Hollywood.

There are some really amazing sources for this. Don't be misled.
Hi Robert!

This may be a case of us having to agree to (somewhat) disagree.

I entered the names Daniel Radcliffe and South Porcupine in a google search, which revealed zilch to me.

While Wikipedia is admittedly not a definitive source, I have to suspect that Mr. Radcliffe is sufficiently well known that something would have turned up in Google Search if there were any truth to his being born in South Porcupine, Ontario. As a native Ontarian myself, I'd have no problem with him being from Ontario, but I need something more substantial before I make that claim, as I've been burned on the unnamed sources bit many times over the years. Finding nothing online just doesn't inspire my confidence. By the way, who besides the Brits would want to mislead us regarding Daniel Radcliffe's birthplace? Besides, if there was any indication of his being born in Canada, going by our own country's extreme tendency to claim any celebrities with the thinnest Canadian connection as our own would have surely reached my ears way before now!

However, what I can concede is that Daniel Radcliffe's having spent a considerable period of time in the Los Angeles school system (His body of work during that period alone attests to that!), did occur at a young enough age to conceivably somewhat muddy the waters, in terms of his overall accent. That is an excellent point that you have made!

Tony

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Robert!

This may be a case of us having to agree to (somewhat) disagree.

I entered the names Daniel Radcliffe and South Porcupine in a google search, which revealed zilch to me.

While Wikipedia is admittedly not a definitive source, I have to suspect that Mr. Radcliffe is sufficiently well known that something would have turned up in Google Search if there were any truth to his being born in South Porcupine, Ontario. As a native Ontarian myself, I'd have no problem with him being from Ontario, but I need something more substantial before I make that claim, as I've been burned on the unnamed sources bit many times over the years. Finding nothing online just doesn't inspire my confidence. By the way, who besides the Brits would want to mislead us regarding Daniel Radcliffe's birthplace? Besides, if there was any indication of his being born in Canada, going by our own country's extreme tendency to claim any celebrities with the thinnest Canadian connection as our own would have surely reached my ears way before now!

However, what I can concede is that Daniel Radcliffe's having spent a considerable period of time in the Los Angeles school system (His body of work during that period alone attests to that!), did occur at a young enough age to conceivably somewhat muddy the waters, in terms of his overall accent. That is an excellent point that you have made!

Tony

You and I will both agree that Toronto is the center of the Universe?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
"Well, boys and girls, we put it over nicely!
...Aw, don't you know when you're being kidded?
...wake up..., you're being kidded.
...When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it."

(Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon)

My apologies to the Master Magician himself for spoiling his fun; but I've too much respect and admiration for my northern friend to see this mauling go on for much longer

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Further evidence that about 10 years ago a shift happened and all the creativity and risk-taking went to television...

As for Tony...

I stand shoulder to shoulder with my Canadian friend during this current trial... ;)

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
[QUOTE="Cranston37, post: 4412670, member: 404271"
] I stand shoulder to shoulder with my Canadian friend.[/QUOTE]

As do I and other fans of the Beaver Eh :D !
Vintage-Toronto-Ontario-Canada-Beaver-Mountie-Pin-Pinback.jpg

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
I have no comments on the Daniel Radcliffe controversy, but I would like to thank Mr. Harris for his review. I received a copy of this in a film festival goody bag a year ago, and have not gotten around to watching it. The cover makes it look like it might be a gray, depressing experience. The review makes it sound much more interesting, and now I am quite looking forward to starting into it. Not that I really need yet another series to get hooked on...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no comments on the Daniel Radcliffe controversy, but I would like to thank Mr. Harris for his review. I received a copy of this in a film festival goody bag a year ago, and have not gotten around to watching it. The cover makes it look like it might be a gray, depressing experience. The review makes it sound much more interesting, and now I am quite looking forward to starting into it. Not that I really need yet another series to get hooked on...

With the influx of quality broadcast material, time is a real problem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks