What's new

THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG on Blu-ray???? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nothing surprising there. Warner Bros continues to diligently hold most of its Paramount titles hostage from Blu-ray release. I still think they ought to start an offshoot of their Archive series that would consist exclusively of Paramount titles. But, realistically, they have so many MGM and Warner and RKO titles to deal with already, I just don't see the scores and scores of requested Paramount films being released on our favorite format, and if they did renew their licensing agreement with that studio, I would have to ask, well, why, if you aren't going to release those films looking as good as they can look (as in, not just on DVD)?

The answer to why DVD only is that's all they have to release. The licensing deal with Paramount was mainly to re-issue out of print DVD titles through the archive. Later Paramount offered Warner some new HD masters ready for blu-ray which they released. But Warner has never had free reign of the paramount vaults to go and make HD masters for Blu Ray releases. If Paramount doesn't create a master for Blu-Ray then Warner certainly can't release it on Blu Ray. The only thing they could do is ask for upconvert or not remastered HD titles like Olive did but thankfully Warners standards are higher than that. Upconverted DVD is nearly as good as that so not much point in an upgrade. So any blame for no Paramount classic titles on Blu lies with Paramount they are the ones sitting on their classic titles with little interest in releasing them now that the disc market is dying. They seem to currently only be interested in creating HD titles for streaming most of which are not up to blu ray standards. Quick and easy money there I'm sure.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is an HD version available for rent and/or purchase on streaming services like Vudu. Though that's not the idea solution for those who prefer discs, in my opinion it's better than nothing.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Anybody out there brave enough to try out the Blu-ray, available from Amazon Spain? It looks suspect...

https://www.amazon.es/mundo-Suzie-W...TF8&qid=1463436731&sr=1-2&keywords=suzie+wong

91Av7HMMzTL._SL1500_.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The answer to why DVD only is that's all they have to release. The licensing deal with Paramount was mainly to re-issue out of print DVD titles through the archive. Later Paramount offered Warner some new HD masters ready for blu-ray which they released. But Warner has never had free reign of the paramount vaults to go and make HD masters for Blu Ray releases. If Paramount doesn't create a master for Blu-Ray then Warner certainly can't release it on Blu Ray. The only thing they could do is ask for upconvert or not remastered HD titles like Olive did but thankfully Warners standards are higher than that. Upconverted DVD is nearly as good as that so not much point in an upgrade. So any blame for no Paramount classic titles on Blu lies with Paramount they are the ones sitting on their classic titles with little interest in releasing them now that the disc market is dying. They seem to currently only be interested in creating HD titles for streaming most of which are not up to blu ray standards. Quick and easy money there I'm sure.
I wonder if there is any way to allow (legally) an HD download of a film which, once a fee is paid, can be unlocked and copied to a Blu-ray disc at home. Technology being what it is, I can't see why someone couldn't do this (even the Archives). The movies would all be stored on the company's end in the same way streaming titles are now, but in 1080p quality and available for permanent download for viewing or burning. A lot of bandwidth, granted, but could it be made feasible? Wouldn't something like that solve everyone's dilemma? Well, I ain't no expert in such matters, so if this idea looks suspiciously like ignorance to those of you who get this sort of technology, please forgive me. Just a thought.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if there is any way to allow (legally) an HD download of a film which, once a fee is paid, can be unlocked and copied to a Blu-ray disc at home. Technology being what it is, I can't see why someone couldn't do this (even the Archives). The movies would all be stored on the company's end in the same way streaming titles are now, but in 1080p quality and available for permanent download for viewing or burning. A lot of bandwidth, granted, but could it be made feasible? Wouldn't something like that solve everyone's dilemma? Well, I ain't no expert in such matters, so if this idea looks suspiciously like ignorance to those of you who get this sort of technology, please forgive me. Just a thought.

I don't think there are any services that currently offer that, but I'd definitely be interested. Some of the services, like iTunes and Vudu, do allow you to download a digital file to your hard drive or device, but what you can do with that file is pretty limited. In general, a two hour movie might be about 4 GB to download on those services, whereas a commercially produced Blu-ray would probably have the movie take up anywhere from 20-40 GB. Granted, they can use more efficient compression for the digital download, and the download usually doesn't have the audio formats that take up a huge amount of disc space, but it's still not quite as good as a disc.

The bandwidth would be huge, but if you could get a company that was willing to make the 20 gb version they use for discs available to download, I'd be up for that. I might not be able to grab it all in one day, but if it could be downloaded overnight or while I was at work or in pieces over the course of a week, I'd be happy to add Blu-ray quality burnt at home discs to my collection. I don't think the studios have any interest in doing this, unfortunately.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I would prefer buying my movies on proper, studio-made discs. If we start heading down the 'Download Drive' in that fashion, there's no going back.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Anybody out there brave enough to try out the Blu-ray, available from Amazon Spain? It looks suspect...

https://www.amazon.es/mundo-Suzie-W...TF8&qid=1463436731&sr=1-2&keywords=suzie+wong

View attachment 31317
I do not believe I have been happy with any of the Spanish Blu-rays I have purchased, and sold most of them off. Indeed, Spain and Italy are both flagged for selling boots and/or sub-standard transfers from questionable sources. I would advise treading lightly. You might get lucky with SUZY WONG. If you decide to take the plunge, please report back, I'll be next in line for it if it's a decent release, as this was a film that sent my teenage hormones raging when Nancy Kwan was onscreen.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Nothing surprising there. Warner Bros continues to diligently hold most of its Paramount titles hostage from Blu-ray release. I still think they ought to start an offshoot of their Archive series that would consist exclusively of Paramount titles. But, realistically, they have so many MGM and Warner and RKO titles to deal with already, I just don't see the scores and scores of requested Paramount films being released on our favorite format, and if they did renew their licensing agreement with that studio, I would have to ask, well, why, if you aren't going to release those films looking as good as they can look (as in, not just on DVD)?

I'm not sure it's Warners that holds the Paramount titles hostage. They can only release what elements Paramount has to give them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure it's Warners that holds the Paramount titles hostage. They can only release what elements Paramount has to give them.

At least for this specific title, there is an HD master in existence. It may not be up to the quality that Warner insists on for Blu-ray releases. I don't believe that Warner would have touched most of the masters that Paramount has licensed out to companies like Olive, even though to my mind, they're far better than nothing.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I do not believe I have been happy with any of the Spanish Blu-rays I have purchased, and sold most of them off. Indeed, Spain and Italy are both flagged for selling boots and/or sub-standard transfers from questionable sources. I would advise treading lightly. You might get lucky with SUZY WONG. If you decide to take the plunge, please report back, I'll be next in line for it if it's a decent release, as this was a film that sent my teenage hormones raging when Nancy Kwan was onscreen.
I've been very happy with most of the DVDs I've purchased from Italy and Spain... Pleasantly so with A&R's disc of the 1954 "Student Prince" with Ann Blyth - it's the exact same print as Warner Archive's MOD. Golem is a reasonable label as well, but I think A&R have some good things.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The World of Suzy Wong is based on a 1957 novel of the same name. It inspired this classic Kenneth Tynan putdown of Rodgers and Hammerstein's hit (and pretty good) 1958 musical Flower Drum Song: "A World of Woozy Song."

JeffT.

Deceased Member
57f98ad51cbcac73ac850a1c8649b54a.jpg

That Spanish blu-ray edition may well prove to be a viable alternative (until a North American release is attempted). Let's get cracking Criterion!

It's apparently "all regions" which is promising.

I've yet to see any informed review of the actual product itself but keep an alert eye open.

Thank you for the much appreciated suggestion.

Jeff T.

:)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Reading this thread has made me contemplate buying the DVD release; it would be a blind buy for me.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Well I pulled the trigger and the DVD arrived today.

Dated? Yes.
Filled with ethnic stereotypes? Yes.
A guilty pleasure based on the cinematography in Hong Kong, a stunning Nancy Kwan, and the tragic yet triumphant love story? Absolutely!

Thanks for the recommendation, guys; this one definitely lived up to the hype.

The Flower Drum Song DVD arrives Thursday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks