What's new

THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG on Blu-ray???? (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Screenwriter
0d068632890806502dd54f44db31fa46.jpg

Some film (and television) titles shouldn't have to be requested. But unfortunately we still have to nonetheless. So here goes nothing!

When is a quality (Region A) blu-ray release of THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG (1960) going to be (finally) focused on and realized for those (incurable) sentimentalists of us who (sorely) want to have this delightfully charming romantic classic masterpiece elevated to this "higher" medium?

The (tired) old adage just happens to be true: They sure don't make movies like this anymore!

hqdefault.jpg

That's why they call them classics!

Jeff T.

;)

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
It's a Paramount title. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a disc. It is available in HD on Amazon Video.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Olive has been releasing a lot of Paramount titles; they're also very responsive on their Facebook page. Might be worth sending them a note to express interest.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I frantically clicked into this thread because I thought somebody had discovered a Blu-ray release... Oh well...

While it's Paramount title, it's currently available as a reissued MOD from Warner Archive, so the rights may be a little more complicated than we think.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
12781857145_25070f75fc_b.jpg

A masterwork like this might best be served by The Criterion Collection brand with a full restoration and digital remastering. Along with choice bonus extra material.

It's unfortunate that the parent distribution companies don't get behind their own products and make affordable quality film (and television) releases available for the mass home video market out there.

Any way for specifically like a blu-ray release of THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG (1960) it's probably in the cards sometime in the foreseeable future.

Jeff T.

:unsure:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's unfortunate that the parent distribution companies don't get behind their own products and make affordable quality film (and television) releases available for the mass home video market out there.

? The thousands and thousands of discs we have on our shelves disprove that statement.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I frantically clicked into this thread because I thought somebody had discovered a Blu-ray release... Oh well...

While it's Paramount title, it's currently available as a reissued MOD from Warner Archive, so the rights may be a little more complicated than we think.

That means its part of the current licensing deal that Paramount has with Warner. In that case, it might be better to reach out to the Warner Archive than to Olive, as the rights may rest solely with Warner at this point. Warner Archive is also very responsive to Facebook messages. It is always worth letting studios (especially smaller subdivisions or boutique labels) about your interest in a title. Your email could be the one that tips the scales to make someone there say "We should look into this and see if its feasible". Or they could tell you "we don't have the rights" or "no plans at this time" but at least then you know.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the licensing deal has not extended to Paramount titles being released on Blu-ray via the Archive... This may change, of course. In the meantime I will most certainly ask them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You know, I'm not entirely sure one way or the other! I really say Olive is worth reaching out to, because this sounds like exactly the sort of title they would normally be releasing from Paramount.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
MTE1ODA0OTU3NjgzNzc5MDg1.jpg

Olive Films really does nothing with its (specific) issues.

No restoration work. Nothing to speak of in the form of bonus extras. (Usually) Not even the inclusion of the theatrical trailer.

Really the "older" Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment films that I've purchased (in the distant past now) have been in very exceptional condition.

They did a tremendous job with the Jerry Lewis-Dean Martin and the Jerry Lewis films to cite just one example.

I wish they had continued with this line instead of abandoning it. And there is another (active) discussion thread somewhere here which addresses this.

But really, right now, in consideration of a thoroughly enchanting and endearing achievement like THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG (1960) this "lesser" more commercially entertaining stuff seems somewhat crassly indelicate by comparison.

As a footnote here. I'm not really a Shirley MacLaine fan at all. I like THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1955) and ARTISTS AND MODELS (1955) but that's as far as it goes with me.

And as far as "thousands of film discs" is concerned. And we are discussing the "older" established classics (and not so classic) movies here. Just how many of them are blu-ray issued?

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The Olive titles I have are basic, serviceable prints. I would not begin to compare them to the big boys like Warner and Fox. From what I've gathered, Olive does little in-house remastering work and relies heavily on what elements have been provided.

They certainly delivered what has been the best ever home video release of "That Touch of Mink" (finally in an anamorphic print) and other fine titles like "Bells of St Mary's" and "Diary of a Chambermaid". But I would like to see Paramount step up and concentrate on their vintage library.

As for "Suzie Wong", I'd wonder if Twilight Time has a chance at releasing it, seeing as they released a marvelous, critically-acclaimed documentary feature on it's star Nancy Kwan - "To Whom It May Concern" - on DVD a few years ago.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . But really, right now, in consideration of a thoroughly enchanting and endearing achievement like THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG (1960) this "lesser" more commercially entertaining stuff seems somewhat crassly indelicate by comparison.

As a footnote here. I'm not really a Shirley MacLaine fan at all. I like THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1955) and ARTISTS AND MODELS (1955) but that's as far as it goes with me.

And as far as "thousands of film discs" is concerned. And we are discussing the "older" established classics (and not so classic) movies here. Just how many of them are blu-ray issued?

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

You don't seem to realise this, but you are very much in a small minority in regarding The World Of Suzie Wong as a masterpiece.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think Twilight has access to Paramount titles at this time, but I'd love to see that change someday!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't think Twilight has access to Paramount titles at this time, but I'd love to see that change someday!

First we need Paramount to re-hire Ron Smith or someone equally good, and then allocate the budget they need. Otherwise the transfers will be no better than those given to Olive Films.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Warner Archive have replied to my query on "Suzie Wong" with the following:

Nothing to announce on this at the present time. Thanks.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
world-suzie-wong02.jpg

It doesn't sound too promising does it?

But "hope proves a man deathless."

Among the major film critics of some esteem and credential THE WORLD OF SUZY WONG (1960) is (certainly) acknowledged in high regard.

Sometimes a change of personnel can make all the difference. The anatomy here is that it is the "current" product that is (commercially) given full attention and the "older" film libraries are very much of secondary consideration. That's the (unfortunate) business aspect of the industry. Further confounding things are the issues of copyright with the classic (and not so classic) films. One can understand-sympathize-appreciate that these major distributors just don't want to go to all this burdensome bother. Home video entertainment comes into vogue and all-of-a-sudden (literally) out-of-the-woodwork individuals appear righteously claiming sovereignty (and infringement) in one form-or-another.

I've addressed this here before that the biggest battles (and frustrations) always involve getting this older material out.

But this discussion forum is an important conduit in making interest and suggestions known. I've seen my own requests (many times) come to pass.

My (sincere) thanks to everyone who has shown an interest.

Jeff T.

:unsure:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner Archive have replied to my query on "Suzie Wong" with the following:

Nothing to announce on this at the present time. Thanks.
Nothing surprising there. Warner Bros continues to diligently hold most of its Paramount titles hostage from Blu-ray release. I still think they ought to start an offshoot of their Archive series that would consist exclusively of Paramount titles. But, realistically, they have so many MGM and Warner and RKO titles to deal with already, I just don't see the scores and scores of requested Paramount films being released on our favorite format, and if they did renew their licensing agreement with that studio, I would have to ask, well, why, if you aren't going to release those films looking as good as they can look (as in, not just on DVD)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjjj72