What's new

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
The Music Box theater in Chicago announced today that it will be screening a brand new 70MM print of 'Airport' as part of this year's 70MM festival. It will be the initial screening of that print. The screenings run June 17th through June 30th. It will also host a rare 70MM screening of 'Hello, Dolly' among others. Perennial favorites 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'West Side Story' 1961 and '2001' are also featured. In addition to 'Airport', there will be a brand new 70MM print of 'Spartacus'. Specific dates and further info at the theater's website

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I wonder if Universal paid for this new print of AIRPORT?

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I wonder if Universal paid for this new print of AIRPORT?
True confession, but I've never cared for Airport. For me, at least, its a standard melodrama set in the sky, a sort of updated High and Mighty, also not a fav or a fan. Love the all-star cast, but feel for Van Heflin, looking bloated and sad and just awful. I really liked Airport 77 - the one that crashes in the ocean. Sacrilege to some, I know. The other two films in the franchise I could have easily done without.

RE: Flower Drum Song - the reason for this thread - always enjoyed and on Blu-ray it looks utterly spectacular. Wow! What a beautiful restoration.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
My Vudu purchase is still HD.
My version is HDX

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.49.25 PM.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I received an email saying I will get it on the 1st but now when I look at my order list it says again release date May 24. Maybe they are backed up with orders?

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
True confession, but I've never cared for Airport. For me, at least, its a standard melodrama set in the sky, a sort of updated High and Mighty, also not a fav or a fan. Love the all-star cast, but feel for Van Heflin, looking bloated and sad and just awful. I really liked Airport 77 - the one that crashes in the ocean. Sacrilege to some, I know. The other two films in the franchise I could have easily done without.

RE: Flower Drum Song - the reason for this thread - always enjoyed and on Blu-ray it looks utterly spectacular. Wow! What a beautiful restoration.
It's not a "restoration" - it's a very well-done transfer.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The transfer? What about the re-mastering? Is that part of the transfer? I thought the re-mastering comes first? Don’t you need a good source first before it can be transferred?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
My order says arriving June 1st. Underneath it says previously expected June 22nd. Huh?

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor

pisser.gif

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
So great to hear as the past transfer of this dated but amazingly entertaining period musical was garbage and sad to watch. I think now only the Paramount release Lil Abner remains on my Blu-ray wish list and maybe a 4K restoration of Funny Face.
Are you referring to the DVD? I think the film looks and sounds great in that transfer, old as it may be. But I ordered the Blu-Ray as soon as I read about it :)

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Since the Hall never ran roadshows nor planned to, they didn't see the need of going to the expense of installing 70mm projectors to replace their Simplex XL machines. However, they knew Airport would be a huge G-rated crowd pleaser and very much wanted to play it. Recognizing that there were at least a half-dozen 70mm-ready Times Square theaters that would gladly book the film, Radio City upgraded their equipment.
Is it true that Radio City Music Hall never ran road show movies?

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I would like to know if Universal paid for the new 70mm print that is being shown n Chicago in June. Maybe we could get a new 70mm special edition 4k transfer.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Is it true that Radio City Music Hall never ran road show movies?
Road show movies' typical length did not fit in with the live show / movie combination format. Too long, and the reduced number of daily performances would have negatively impacted the gross receipts for the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks