What's new

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I would like to know if Universal paid for the new 70mm print that is being shown n Chicago in June. Maybe we could get a new 70mm special edition 4k transfer.
Yes, Universal made a new print with DTS sound. It will next run at the Somerville Theater near Boston in July. We might hope this gets us a step closer to a transfer from 65mm elements.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Road show movies' typical length did not fit in with the live show / movie combination format. Too long, and the reduced number of daily performances would have negatively impacted the gross receipts for the house.
They also weren't interested in the time it takes to walk people to reserved seats, nor being locked into a run of several months. They liked a quick turnover of audiences and product.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Wasn't FDS filmed in 35mm? Would a home video edition of the blow-up to 70mm make an appreciable difference? It seems that if they scanned the original 35mm camera negative the home video is closer to the negative than a home video of copy, even if it was large format. For projection on a huge screen I see the point of the blow-up as they can look really great on a huge screen.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wasn't FDS filmed in 35mm? Would a home video edition of the blow-up to 70mm make an appreciable difference? It seems that if they scanned the original 35mm camera negative the home video is closer to the negative than a home video of copy, even if it was large format. For projection on a huge screen I see the point of the blow-up as they can look really great on a huge screen.
Was it ever blown up to 70mm?

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
Generally, yes. Except in cases where films were four-walled.
My impression was Radio City booked films in one week at a time, and extended depending on the box office. The theater I managed was four-walled, meaning a distributor took care of the house nut (weekly expenses) and booked in whatever they wanted. But I don't think that was ever the case with Radio City, at least, not according to the manager, who I was friendly with. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Back in the day.

Attachments

• airportad.jpg
    airportad.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My impression was Radio City booked films in one week at a time, and extended depending on the box office. The theater I managed was four-walled, meaning a distributor took care of the house nut (weekly expenses) and booked in whatever they wanted. But I don't think that was ever the case with Radio City, at least, not according to the manager, who I was friendly with. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
You stand corrected.

An Abel Gance film.

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
Ah, it was written then
It certainly was. I used to know the manager of Radio City in the late 70's. Before that he was the head treasurer at the Roxy, and then assistant manager. A very friendly guy, we used to talk on the phone and he would tell me all these stories. I always meant to write them down, but I never got around to it. One thing I do remember, he said in the 40's and 50's, they used to recruit ushers who were ex-military, preferably Marines, at the Roxy, and they would line them up in the lobby between the green marble columns. Being trained in the military, they would stand super-straight, like in one of those John Ford films, and decked out in navy blue capes with gold epaulettes, they were quite impressive.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It certainly was. I used to know the manager of Radio City in the late 70's. Before that he was the head treasurer at the Roxy, and then assistant manager. A very friendly guy, we used to talk on the phone and he would tell me all these stories. I always meant to write them down, but I never got around to it. One thing I do remember, he said in the 40's and 50's, they used to recruit ushers who were ex-military, preferably Marines, at the Roxy, and they would line them up in the lobby between the green marble columns. Being trained in the military, they would stand super-straight, like in one of those John Ford films, and decked out in navy blue capes with gold epaulettes, they were quite impressive.
Those uniforms. When I was working with that Gance film at RCMH in ‘81, I was presented with a set of brass buttons from the RCMH 1940s uniforms.

Had them, for a while, on a lovely double breasted blazer - which somehow shrank. Need a new configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annebrghts01
Recent bookmarks