What's new

The Suicide Squad (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I actually like Idris Elba more than Will Smith. Smith is a charismatic actor, but he keeps choosing scripts I don't want to see. The only movie of his that I've really liked is Men in Black. (I'm hoping I'll be able to add Aladdin to that list soon.) So, no complaints from me about Elba. However, he is not as much of a box office draw, so that's interesting.

I bet they are hoping that the DC/Suicide Squad branding (not to mention being a good movie as Gunn which likely to give them) will make up for the difference between their drawing power.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually like Idris Elba more than Will Smith. Smith is a charismatic actor, but he keeps choosing scripts I don't want to see. The only movie of his that I've really liked is Men in Black. (I'm hoping I'll be able to add Aladdin to that list soon.) So, no complaints from me about Elba. However, he is not as much of a box office draw, so that's interesting.

I bet they are hoping that the DC/Suicide Squad branding (not to mention being a good movie as Gunn which likely to give them) will make up for the difference between their drawing power.
Elba is a good choice to replace Smith. However, Smith and Robbie made a couple of films together and had good film chemistry so I'm going to miss that aspect.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I feel like the distinction between "Suicide Squad" and "The Suicide Squad" is pretty minor, and they might want to explore the possibility of adding a subtitle or something. Or at least I would.

Also, if cast members from the original film are coming back, it's not a total reboot. It seems like they're trying to have it both ways by keeping some elements from the prior film and not others.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
New I feel like the distinction between "Suicide Squad" and "The Suicide Squad" is pretty minor, and they might want to explore the possibility of adding a subtitle or something. Or at least I would.

It's done okay for Universal with their "Fast and Furious" series - they've got a movie in that franchise called "The Fast and the Furious" but also one called "Fast and Furious".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's done okay for Universal with their "Fast and Furious" series

Sure.

The counterargument to that is Fox's Predator (1987) and The Predator (2018) and that didn't really work out very well for the latter film.

We'll see which way The Suicide Squad goes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And we've had three movies titled simply Halloween, the most recent of which was sold as a sequel to the first Halloween but with no "2" or "Part 2" or anything. It seems to be a growing trend to reuse the same title for multiple films, even if they're not remakes

It also sounds like a pretentious affectation like that used by some universities (i.e. "The" Ohio State University).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sure.

The counterargument to that is Fox's Predator (1987) and The Predator (2018) and that didn't really work out very well for the latter film.

We'll see which way The Suicide Squad goes.

C’mon, now you’re moving the goal posts. Your first post was about how the similar names could confuse an audience and potential affect ticket sales. I gave an example to able that doesn’t have to be the case.

The Predator didn’t do poorly because it had a similar title to the original film; it did poorly because it wasn’t nearly as good as the original film. I don’t think anyone was confused about what would actually be showing in theaters.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Twist: Michael Roker shared The Wrap article about his being in talks on his Facebook page -- for the purpose of denying it. He wrote above the link, "No. This is NOT true."

Bummer, but obviously he would know.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In the original script, Idris Elba's character was the Floyd Lawton Deadshot, before they realized Will Smith wouldn't be returning. Lawton's relationship with his daughter Zoe was featured in the first movie, and the intention was probably to build on that for the sequel. That Elba's character has a teenage daughter is probably a vestige of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks