What's new

Peacemaker (HBO MAX 2022) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone seen the debut of this James Gunn series? I thought the first episode was a lot of fun, with good intros to the characters. John Cena has a way with comedy that works really well. The writing on the show is top notch. Will gladly check out the remaining episodes.

FWIW I enjoyed Gunn’s The Suicide Squad on which this is based, but I didn’t love it the way I do his Guardians films. I think the R rating gives too much chance for overindulgence. I hope that’s not the case with this series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'll be checking this series out as I liked "The Suicide Squad" movie. At times, overindulgence is good.;)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This show may be the Gunniest Gunn to ever Gunn. If these opening credits don't do it for you, then damn, Jed, I don't even wanna know you:

I'm liking it a lot so far. Cena's really good here, as he was in The Suicide Squad. And I might have stuck with the show just for the blonde on the team -- she's cute. It's always funny to see a Punisher-type character brought to his logical/absurd extension.

"We only kill bad people. Unless there's a mistake."

"Three years ago, I would've shot you both in the face for that."

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
. And I might have stuck with the show just for the blonde on the team-- she's cute. It's always funny to see a Punisher-type character brought to his logical/absurd extension.
That’s Gunn’s significant other.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I think they use Vigilante perfectly here (I like him even better than the Arrowverse-version). He’s genuinely stupid and polite, which makes the fact that he’s an unrepentant killer much more fucked-up. I also got a good laugh from the hair-metal cover of "Pumped Up Kicks" at the end of episode 2 as a callback to the bickering couple.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I watched the 3 episodes and really enjoyed them. Definitely a good time.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This is a frustrating series. I love the two GotG films and loved The Suicide Squad even more. The trouble is that my wife also loves the GotG films, but hasn't seen TSS as I warned her that she was likely to find it way too violent for her tastes. She's been kinda sorta somewhat interested in Peacemaker, just because she's thought John Cena seems like such a hoot whenever she's seen him show up on TV. I'd love to watch this with her, but I think she'd be put off by the violence.

Anyway, that said, this show is, not surprisingly, bat-shit insane. Hell, just the main titles sequence is probably the craziest of any TV show I've ever seen. Gunn's irreverence towards the material is what makes these works so enjoyable.

The only thing missing is a guest appearance by The Weasel...

(Though Eagly almost...almost...makes up for the lack of Weasel...)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Watched episode 1 today. This is being played up as a comedy, and the first 40 minutes seemed to drag on, with the only real humor being pop culture references. I wasn't really digging it, aside from Eagly, who was great.

But a good ending can make up for a lot, and the last 8 minutes delivered. Im interested enough to watch the next episode.

Oh, and the post credits scene was actually pretty funny. Im hoping theres more of that type of humor in future episodes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Highlights from the first three episodes: "Joe Blaggadoshioscio," Robert Patrick's upside-down flag, Peacemaker buying into far-right conspiracy theories about Aquaman, the entire Louis C.K.-conversation, the Berenstain Bears, the exploding shotgun-headshot, Vigilante being Gunn lampooning Deadpool right down to a Ryan Reynolds-soundalike in the role, and Peacemaker having to reenact The Ref with that white-trash couple.

But the opening credits, the running gag about the stolen vinyl-collection that keeps falling out of his hands, and Cena's defeated delivery of "garlic zoodles" made me cackle like Burt Reynolds on meth.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Enjoying it so far.

I am a little surprised that DC is OK with someone sort of making fun of their IP. I get the feeling only Gunn would be given this much leeway. But I am glad they are allowing this. It is definitely something different than the normal superhero stuff we have been bombarded with recently.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! We watched episode 1 but will not watch any more. We saw and enjoyed both Suicide Squad movies, but this was something else. It really fell completely flat for us. Serious question -- is it supposed to be funny? We didn't laugh at at, or even crack a smile throughout.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Wow! We watched episode 1 but will not watch any more. We saw and enjoyed both Suicide Squad movies, but this was something else. It really fell completely flat for us. Serious quesion -- is it supposed to be funny? We didn't laugh at at, or even crack a smile throughout.

Uh...wow. Tough room.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Wow! We watched episode 1 but will not watch any more. We saw and enjoyed both Suicide Squad movies, but this was something else. It really fell completely flat for us. Serious quesion -- is it supposed to be funny? We didn't laugh at at, or even crack a smile throughout.

Well, that's what makes horse races. I hated the first SS film and loved the second (I'd even go so far as to say that the first one is the worst DCEU film so far, and the second is the best DCEU film so far). And I do think Peacemaker is supposed to be -- and actually is -- funny.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Wow! We watched episode 1 but will not watch any more. We saw and enjoyed both Suicide Squad movies, but this was something else. It really fell completely flat for us. Serious question -- is it supposed to be funny? We didn't laugh at at, or even crack a smile throughout.
Humor is of course very subjective, and this show may simply not be your cup of tea. But for what it's worth, I did find the first episode to be rather slow in the jokes department, and then they fire off pretty much non-stop starting with episode 2.

If you have the time or inclination, you may want to give ep 2 a chance before writing it off for good.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We love British humour of the Monty Python/Hitchhiker’s Guide variety as well as countless North American kinds. What we don’t like usually is the “ha-ha-ha-his-head-blew-off” or “ha-ha-ha-aren’t-I-vulgar-dirty-and-racist” variety, which this show seemed to revel in.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Really enjoying this so far, and the music is terrific. There’s a new one up today, but I likely won’t see it until tomorrow.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
As great as Cena is on this show, Freddie Stroma as Vigilante might just end up being the series MVP in the end, here:

"Hey, look, I'll go first. I'm grateful that Black people gave us rock-and-roll music. Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, .38 Special, all those guys owe everything to Black American folk and blues musicians. I mean, they wouldn't exist without 'em, and then White Redneck music would just sound like...well, what it sounded like before Black people, which was the wet, sloppy sounds of fucking your sister.

"...Okay, so that's MY turn. Which one of you dumb, sister-fucking, tiki-torch-carrying, Sloth-from-The Goonies-looking pieces of shit wants to go next?"

(Just read that Gunn actually had to completely reshoot all of Vigilante's scenes when the original actor got fired five episodes into production.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks