What's new

Peacemaker (HBO MAX 2022) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I liked, but didn't love, The Suicide Squad, which I felt got bogged down by Idris Elba's too-serious character and too many attempts to shock the audience with violence and gore.

This show is so much more fun than the movie.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Caught up with this show last night/today. Really enjoying it, but my wife thinks the humor is a bit too juvenile.
Sure. It is. Doesn't mean it can't be funny. I still laugh at the Three Stooges, and their humor is definitely juvenile.

A while back, I had a discussion with two of my nephews (who are close enough to my age that they were more like younger brothers than nephews). Both of them thought the Stooges were stupid. But they howled with laughter watching WWE.

The only thing more subjective than a sense of humor is a sense of beauty.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Episode 5 was another hoot. Really fun show, and intense and suspenseful too. It's just about the biggest show on TV right now.

To that end, James Gunn has said there will be another HBO MAX show spun off from The Suicide Squad, and he's reasonably certain about season 2 for Peacemaker.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I gotta say, I’m enjoying Peacemaker way more than the movie it was spun out of. It’s ridiculous, over the top and totally thrilling.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I gotta say, I’m enjoying Peacemaker way more than the movie it was spun out of. It’s ridiculous, over the top and totally thrilling.
Oh yeah, better than the movie for sure. As much as I like him as an actor, I thought Idris Elba dragged that movie down. He's much too serious and stolid.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, this was another winner this week. James Gunn and several of the cast have said this episode was their favorite.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Still trying to figure out if the tag scene was deliberately filmed to be a tag scene. It felt like part of a gag reel.

I think this is the first time I've seen Christopher Heyerdahl give a comic performance. He's always so good at playing an evil son of a beeyawch.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Perfect Carpenter-style abrupt ending. The Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home" piano-cover. Robert Patrick as Nazi Boomer Eraserhead™. Peacemaker's thinly-veiled shitting on Ezra Miller's Flash.

It's a testament to Gunn's work with even the B-characters that when Sophie was taken over by the Goff-butterfly that I was (A) both really shocked, and (B) kinda sad. Having said that, the "tiny spaceship invasion" and subsequent straight-outta-The Terminator police station-raid was equal parts awesome and terrifying.

It's nice when a show about a former helmeted villain trying to redeem himself has some stakes, and some villainous sons-of-bitches. I've been watching some of the other DC stuff on HBO as well, and even the good ones like Doom Patrol are a steep drop-off in terms of confidence and polish.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, I watched the first episode and was laughing my butt off. I'm not going to binge watch this series as I can only take one episode a day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow! We watched episode 1 but will not watch any more. We saw and enjoyed both Suicide Squad movies, but this was something else. It really fell completely flat for us. Serious question -- is it supposed to be funny? We didn't laugh at at, or even crack a smile throughout.
I thought it was very funny. The subjectivity of humor turns it's ugly head.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As great as Cena is on this show, Freddie Stroma as Vigilante might just end up being the series MVP in the end, here:

"Hey, look, I'll go first. I'm grateful that Black people gave us rock-and-roll music. Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, .38 Special, all those guys owe everything to Black American folk and blues musicians. I mean, they wouldn't exist without 'em, and then White Redneck music would just sound like...well, what it sounded like before Black people, which was the wet, sloppy sounds of fucking your sister.

"...Okay, so that's MY turn. Which one of you dumb, sister-fucking, tiki-torch-carrying, Sloth-from-The Goonies-looking pieces of shit wants to go next?"

(Just read that Gunn actually had to completely reshoot all of Vigilante's scenes when the original actor got fired five episodes into production.)
I did laugh me ass off during that particular scene. Two more episodes to go and so far I'm enjoying what I've been seeing with this series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last night's episode was terrific. Funny, sad, and plenty of action. This show is incredibly well written, above all.

Looking forward to the finale and the inevitable season 2.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So, absolute confirmation Murn is a good bug-person. So what the fuck was Judomaster talking about? Kind of curious to see what that's going to be about. Because any version of Actually, the Butterflies Are Good! seems very likely to be both nonsensical and unsatisfying.

There was a theory on the Discord I really like, where the Butterflies are concerned about humanity's...terribleness...after the failure of their own planet, and their big plan is to take over our leadership and kill all the bad people...because they love peace with all their hearts, and they don't care how many men, women, or children they have to kill to get it.

Which will conflict with our hero's new perspective. He's going to have to literally murder his old, stupid joke of a mission statement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks