What's new

The Last Movie Stars (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A new six part documentary by Ethan Hawke and a large number of participants covering the lives and careers of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Based upon a series of transcripts of interviews with many individuals associated professionally and personally with the duo. Hawke has assembled a large number of collaborators to voice various personages with whom the interviews were conducted.

I had the pleasure of watching the first episode earlier today and was endlessly entertained by it. The episode is a literal treasure trove of footage and anecdotes. It focuses on the 1950s and the early careers of Newman and Woodward. There are many film clips and television recordings that cover a wide gamut of personalities such as Elia Kazan, Tennessee Williams, Marlon Brando, James Dean, Gore Vidal, and Richard Brooks (off the top of my head.)

Having only watched the first of six episodes, I anticipate enjoying the remaining episodes a great deal. Available on HBO Max.

- Walter.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope they included Joan Collins among the people they interviewed. In her autobiographies (plural!) she speaks very highly of both Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I hope they included Joan Collins among the people they interviewed. In her autobiographies (plural!) she speaks very highly of both Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

There was no mention of Joan Collins in the first episode. I haven't decided how I am going to view the rest of the series. Probably one a day to stretch it just a bit. In any case, your comment makes me wonder if Collins will figure in any of the other episodes.

- Walter.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Joan Collins wasn't included in any of the episodes - I don't think their film together, "Rally 'Round the Flag Boys" was even mentioned neither was "A Fine Madness" a film Joanne Woodward made with Sean Connery and Jean Seberg. They did spend way too much time IMO over-analyzing and dissecting the 1970 flop, "WUSA". Another film overlooked: "Harper" which was a huge hit for Newman.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the 1st episode. I liked the voice cast, with the likes of Oscar winners, George Clooney, Sam Rockwell, and Sally Field.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Caught episode two earlier on Saturday. The focus was on the '60s and the evolution of their careers. Newman's career and star power was ascendant with films such as The Hustler and Hud while Woodward began focusing on home life to the detriment of her career (in some ways.) There is a fair amount of 'home movies' involving their family life with the children, containing footage I had never seen before. The coverage of the films in their careers is uneven, but this may be due partly to the scope of the interview material, which is the basis for the series.

I am definitely enjoying the retrospective aspect of the documentary.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight, TCM is having Ethan Hawke on as a guest programmer as they're showing two of Newman/Woodward's movies tonight and discussing this series. It starts at 8:00 p.m. ET.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I cannot recommend this series highly enough! A must for anyone who loves film and great performances. And what a creative and inspired approach.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I finally sat down and watched the first episode. It was fantastic! I will try going forward to watch a new episode every two days to give me some time to reflect on the prior episode. I met Paul Newman briefly one time in a shopping mall in Connecticut. I was kind of dumbstruck as I didn’t approach him because I didn’t want to impose on him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joan Collins wasn't included in any of the episodes - I don't think their film together, "Rally 'Round the Flag Boys" was even mentioned neither was "A Fine Madness" a film Joanne Woodward made with Sean Connery and Jean Seberg. They did spend way too much time IMO over-analyzing and dissecting the 1970 flop, "WUSA". Another film overlooked: "Harper" which was a huge hit for Newman.
I fully understood why WUSA was talked about and those other two films weren't mentioned at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finished the sixth episode this morning. A great documentary that makes me want to revisit all of the movies mentioned in it. More to come after further reflection on my part.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I fully understood why WUSA was talked about and those other two films weren't mentioned at all.
Agree 1000%. WUSA is more relevant now than when it was released. It's a bit of a mess but it's also frighteningly prescient. And they are BOTH in it (unlike A FINE MADNESS.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks