What's new

The Suicide Squad (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Looks like Nathan Fillion is on-board

That's interesting because he is, of course, the title character on The Rookie, which is currently in production of its second season for ABC. Either his role in Suicide Squad would have to be a cameo or, if the role is large, they'll have to arrange his shooting schedule around his commitments to that show. I wonder when, exactly, Suicide Squad is supposed to start filming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Surprise! Another Marvel-friendly face is joining James Gunn in Suicide Squad and it is Taika Waititi in an acting role:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/suicid...s-to-star-james-gunn-dc-film-cast-1202704115/

Is this the first time Taika has taken an acting role in something he didn't also direct? (He was in Endgame for five minutes directed by the Russos, but he was reprising a role that he cast himself in for Ragnarok, so other than that I think it might be. Not sure.)

Deadline also says production will start September 23, so it seems that both Nathan Fillion (The Rookie) and Viola Davis (How to Get Away with Murder) will be juggling this film with shooting their respective ABC series, which are currently in production on their new seasons.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
873FE141-AD7E-491C-9D98-D84841A359DE.jpeg
Is this the first time Taika has taken an acting role in something he didn't also direct? (He was in Endgame for five minutes directed by the Russos, but he was reprising a role that he cast himself in for Ragnarok, so other than that I think it might be. Not sure.)

Taika played Hal Jordan’s friend in Green Lantern.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, well, well. It looks like Michael Roker is in it after all, despite insisting on his Facebook page back in May that he wasn't. I wonder what that was all about? Anyway, I'm glad he's in.

Also interesting to note the absence of Dave Bautista, who made very clear that he wanted to be in it before Gunn was rehired by Disney for Guardians 3.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've seen this described as a "complete reboot," but that can't be accurate, since several of the cast from the first film are in it.

But there's this:
Despite some returning characters, producer Peter Safran has said the film, which is also written by Gunn, “is a total reboot” and not a sequel.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/09/13/suicide-squad-james-gunn-full-cast/

I have faith that Gunn will deliver a good movie, but I just hate it when producers don't know what they're talking about.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I suspect it's a situation where they've kept the cast that popped in the first one but aren't going to make Gunn acknowledge it or necessarily build on it. So it obviously did happen in terms of occurring to these characters before this movie, but in terms of the continuing story it doesn't matter if it did or not because there won't be references to it. That's my guess anyway.

I'm going to watch this because I want to support James Gunn and see what he makes next. I did not see the previous film and have no interest in seeing it, so I'll be going into this one as a standalone.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Other than Margot Robbie, who was a lot of fun in the first one, I didn't think much of that movie. I found it very generic. Like I said at the time, I felt like it wanted to be Guardians of the Galaxy (bunch of misfits coming together with a rock and roll soundtrack, but the writing wasn't there and the music was mostly stuff that you've heard in movies a hundred times). Gunn should be a good fit, and will likely make a much better film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Other than Margot Robbie, who was a lot of fun in the first one, I didn't think much of that movie. I found it very generic. Like I said at the time, I felt like it wanted to be Guardians of the Galaxy (bunch of misfits coming together with a rock and roll soundtrack, but the writing wasn't there and the music was mostly stuff that you've heard in movies a hundred times). Gunn should be a good fit, and will likely make a much better film.
This is the type of film concept that is right up Gunn's alley. I expect a much better film than the first one, I just wish Will Smith was still part of the cast as he and Robbie have good film chemistry. I'm also a fan of Idris Elba so my hopes are high he will do well with that role.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
And with that cast, James Gunn has almost doubled the list of actors who have been in both the MCU and DCEU!

Taika Waititi
Sean Gunn
Idris Elba
David Dastmalchian
Michael Rooker

(the above are the ones I recognise)

Bravo!

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just wish Will Smith was still part of the cast as he and Robbie have good film chemistry. I'm also a fan of Idris Elba so my hopes are high he will do well with that role.

It was reported a while back that instead of the initial plan where Elba replaced Smith, he is now playing a new character. It seems as though WB wants to keep the door open for Smith to be able to return later for another movie if he so chose, which wouldn't be the case if Elba was replacing him.

Personally, I think Idris Elba is a much better actor than Will Smith so they seem to me to have traded up. But obviously Smith is a huge star, so it makes sense to leave room for him in your franchise.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I was upset they killed off DIablo in the first film, I liked his backstory and I like the actor, Jay Hernandez.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've seen this described as a "complete reboot," but that can't be accurate, since several of the cast from the first film are in it.

But there's this:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/09/13/suicide-squad-james-gunn-full-cast/

I have faith that Gunn will deliver a good movie, but I just hate it when producers don't know what they're talking about.

It’s not a reboot. That term gets thrown around too easily when creators are meaning to say that something isn’t directly continuing the story from the previous film. I’m pretty sure the first film will have happened and this will be using some elements from that like a few characters and the use of Task Force X, but it’ll be a new direction with story and tone and won’t be a direct continuation.

Kind of like when a TV show gets significantly retooled between seasons. It’s not a “reboot” but they take the show in a different direction.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm still surprised that they're actually going with "The" Suicide Squad (and "The" Batman) when both franchises have had previous movies with otherwise identical names minus the "the." Far be it for me to tell James Gunn and Matt Reeves what to title their films, but I thought they might go with something a little bit more distinct from prior entries.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Is this gonna be the second movie involving Harley Quinn where they regret the name they gave the movie immediately after it's released, and blame the name on the poor performance?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure I would go that far. I think WB will be able to make clear in the marketing that it is a new movie and not a re-release of the 2016 Suicide Squad. But I also think making the name more distinct would be a good idea. Even if it was just Suicide Squad with a subtitle, that would be more clear

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I'm not sure I would go that far. I think WB will be able to make clear in the marketing that it is a new movie and not a re-release of the 2016 Suicide Squad. But I also think making the name more distinct would be a good idea. Even if it was just Suicide Squad with a subtitle, that would be more clear

Suicide Squad: Now with 100% Less Joker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks