What's new

Suicide Squad (2016) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The movie is OK and parts of it work but it seems disjointed at times. Also, there's lots of poor editing (guy yelling, cut to something exploding, cut to another guy yelling and some other monster exploding) and the movie has so much music, it could be entered into the MTV Video Music Awards. I like most of those songs but it was so much that it became overkill. Will Smith brings his usual charm, Viola Davis is good as a bureaucrat and you get a taste of the eerily crazy Joker that Jared Leto will be playing.

Is it me, but I felt Will Smith & Margot Robbie had better screen chemistry than Robbie and Leto?
I'd say the same but they have way more screen time than Robbie and Leto.

26% on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch!
I didn't even like the movie that much but that seems harsh to me. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate Rotten Tomatoes because I think it's the death of film criticism. Fuck more in depth thoughts or pointing out what someone did and didn't like about a movie, just tell me a number so I can quickly and easily decide if a movie is good or bad.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I usually go on the merits of trailers and am almost always right on the money as to whether I will enjoy a movie. If the trailer gets me excited about a movie, odds are I am going to enjoy it. If the trailer doesn't move the needle with me, it's a pretty safe bet I would not like the movie. The few times I have gone to a movie after not being impressed by the trailers, I ended up walking out after 15 minutes.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Some presentation inconsistencies aside (a song score that after 3-4 tracks begins to seem like someone being impatient with their iPod shuffle selections, and a music score that is unremarkable and overly intrusive), the real unfortunate culprit here is a surface level indoctrination into the team we are intended to invest in, mostly via info dump by Waller. I did enjoy a few moments, such as the Joker/Harley scenes and Boomerang's "ya mugs" temperament, but it's too little for me to say I enjoyed the movie enough to overlook my misgivings. As I'm apt to say, I don't care much for plot as I'm mostly drawn in to character and story, specifically *how* a movie is about what it's about. This film doesn't know what it wants to be about, and its characters, which are generally well cast and interesting in their own right, deserve better material. 5/10

DCEU recap for context:

Man of Steel - 10/10
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice UE - 9/10

I'm glad SS is fairly inconsequential to the DC macro story, as I feel just fine leaving it behind and not adding it to my BD shelf.

Last edited:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't use Rotten Tomatoes critics number to tell me anything. I use the audience score. At least you are getting a score from those who wanted to see the movie, not just people paid to see the movie. I don't trust the review of a sci-fi/action movie from some "professional" critic who really loves period dramas.

The audience score for SS is currently 73%.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I don't use Rotten Tomatoes critics number to tell me anything. I use the audience score. At least you are getting a score from those who wanted to see the movie, not just people paid to see the movie. I don't trust the review of a sci-fi/action movie from some "professional" critic who really loves period dramas.

The audience score for SS is currently 73%.

I look at both numbers and then read some of the negative reviews to see if they're complaining about things I'd care about.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I kinda liked it, but I felt it was heavily flawed and not quite what it was intended to be. It felt somewhat patched together.

I think the exposition dump with Waller at the beginning just didn't flow well. It felt forced. Same with the music. Liked the songs, the concept was cool, but it was just "here's a cool song, and here's another cool song, and here's another." Guardians of the Galaxy certainly didn't invent the concept of using this kind of music in movies, but they used it quite well and organically. It didn't feel right in this.

Going back to the exposition dump and surface intro to each character, imagine if most of these characters were used as villains or antagonists in several DC hero movies over a few years, and THEN they do this movie.

I don't think the Marvel model is the only way to do a cinematic universe, but it has certainly been effective and well executed. DC is doing their universe with lots of this stuff already "out there". Decades of history of the heroes and villains already exist, and they want to just jump right to the big team-up movies. I think you can do that, but DC (for me) hasn't really done it well. They feel somewhat "impatient". It's too late now. But I think things would have worked much better for them if they took their time and built things slowly, but they aren't. They are jumping right to the payoff with no real build up, and they've been stumbling. Go figure.

I think this first trailer was more in line with what this movie was originally going to be (tone-wise).

This second trailer was what seemed to really grab everyone's attention though. And it was surely an awesome trailer.

But if that wasn't the true tone of the movie and they tried to change the final cut of the movie to align more with that you'd get something that fell kind of artificial and inconsistent. And that's the way Suicide Squad felt to me.

I didn't dislike it. There was a lot of good stuff in here. The actors and characters were good. I enjoyed Lawson, Harley, Diablo, Boomerang, and Flag. Leto's Joker is interesting, but we didn't see much of it. Action was cool, etc... But I didn't like it nearly as much as I hoped I would.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I saw this in IMAX today and liked it quite a bit. I had low hopes going in but was pleasantly surprised. Jai Courtney a positive? Say it ain't so! The thing I liked the least was The Joker. I just didn't like this iteration. I had a feeling I woudn't though because I loved Ledger's version so much.

This'll be a purchase for me.

I'm nervous that they'll change Batman from the way he was portrayed in Batman v Superman though.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just came back from seeing this in IMAX 3D and found it a very enjoyable light summer movie. After seeing Jason Bourne I honestly had begun to wonder if at 65, my eyes were too old for a theatrical movie. I found JB impossible to follow due to shakey cam.
The visuals in Suicide Squad were clear and easy to follow even through fast action scenes. The 3D had several pop outs of snow flakes etc. and one scene looking down a long staircase was particularly impressive.
I will be buying the 3D Blu Ray.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I thought the movie was okay. I liked the main cast the most but the villain and her plan was weak and felt too familiar. I half expected her to ask them to name the Destructor. I'm not sure how I feel about Leto's Joker, he wasn't in the movie enough. I liked BvS more but WB still hasn't hit one out of the park.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I finally saw this tonight. I can definitely believe that the marketing department took over post production on this movie, definitely style over substance. So colorful at times that it makes Marvel films look dull.

Definitely do see it in 3D, it was fantastic.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This movie was the very definition of a clusterfuck. (Please pardon my language; there's no other word I can think of that accurately describes it.) There was no sense of pace, rhythm, or coherence. Character introductions were either haphazard or bland. And it didn't seem to have any idea what it was for, other than being a placeholder for Justice League.

That said, I kind of... enjoyed a good chunk of it?

I can't really explain it. Maybe I was reconstructing what I thought a good version would have been, or maybe I was just enjoying the chaos of it all. Will Smith was pretty good, I liked Margot Robbie (hated her costume), and Jay Hernandez had some good scenes. And unlike Batman v Superman, which was a ground-up failure in every conceivable way, Suicide Squad felt like it might have been a halfway decent movie at some point during its development or editing process.

Kind of like the recent Ghostbusters, it had a good cast and some promising elements, but it seems to have collapsed under the weight of all the different things it was expected to do. At the same time, there was just enough of those promising elements remaining to make it kinda sorta entertaining at times.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
https://www.yahoo.com/news/irate-suicide-squad-audience-member-121003275.html

A Man and his brother (a Lawyer) are suing WB for false advertising because the Joker wasn't in the movie as much as the advertising and trailers lead them to believe he would be.

The lawsuit is frivolous, though I do agree with them to an extent. There was a lot of press about Leto's Joker, but I thought it was telling how little he was seen in most of the trailers and ads. I don't think it's the film's advertising that misled the audience, as much as it was the press and other articles written about the film which were very Joker-centric.

When I started reading reactions after the film was released, it confirmed my suspicion that he didn't have much screen time, and my interest in the film dropped considerably.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When I started reading reactions after the film was released, it confirmed my suspicion that he didn't have much screen time...
I can see how people want more of the Joker but I think that not featuring him more heavily was actually a good call on the moviemakers' part. You need him for Harley Quinn's origin but having him in alot more of it risks turning the movie into 'THE JOKER!!! And His Suicide Squad' because he's likely to overshadow everyone else in the movie.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
The lawsuit is frivolous, though I do agree with them to an extent. There was a lot of press about Leto's Joker, but I thought it was telling how little he was seen in most of the trailers and ads. I don't think it's the film's advertising that misled the audience, as much as it was the press and other articles written about the film which were very Joker-centric.

When I started reading reactions after the film was released, it confirmed my suspicion that he didn't have much screen time, and my interest in the film dropped considerably.

I thought he was going to have more screen time than what he did, until I saw I saw reports of Leto saying a lot of his scenes were cut. So, I can see where they are coming from... Hopefully we'll get to see the deleted scenes on a disc release of the movie. I'm curious to see just what and how much was removed.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Many of Leto's Joker scenes were cut from the film.

Reportedly, his relationship with Harley was more "abusive" and it was re-worked to be the more general audience friendly twisted romance depicted in the film. He also (reportedly) had a scene after they defeated Enchantress where he came back for Harley but she rejected him to protect the squad from him. There's a rundown out there of a LOT of his stuff that was cut, edited down, or re-worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks