What's new

The Shining (1980) 4K (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I saw the hospital scene in 1980; I must have seen it opening day. From this distant point it wasn't anything that special, and having seen this movie a few zillion times I've never missed it.

Reactions: PMF

FatherDude

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I am not sure why anybody thought the inclusion of the hospital scene was even a possibility. Isn't it established lore that Kubrick destroyed all cut material, from the rushes down to the OCN? I know it is said that a print of the 2001 cuts is in Warner Bros. possession, and I believe it, but that was before Kubrick had achieved the unusual level of control he would wield in his later years. I don't think any of THE SHINING's trims existed outside of Childwickbury, which means they were incinerated.

And it's too bad. That scene, and certainly the scrapbook discovery scene, would be great to see as standalone curiosities. But Kubrick was said to be afraid of studios recutting his films without his consent. Given some of the unsanctioned alternate cuts of movies that have come out over the years, I guess he wasn't so paranoid.

As for the reference to the European cut of THE SHINING being Kubrick's "preferred" version - I have heard this parroted before, but never sourced. All we know is that he made cuts in response to the movie performing soft in America. I have never seen any quote from Kubrick where he expresses a preference for one version over the other.

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I saw the 4K showing in San Francisco and can confirm there is no hospital scene or any other differences. The film and audio look and sound fantastic, btw. Much to be excited with this release.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Got my hands on an early copy of the 4K release coming next week. I can say that it looks beautiful; It's the best I've ever seen it. I think everyone is going to be very happy with this release.

Oh, and there's no hospital scene.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Got my hands on an early copy of the 4K release coming next week. I can say that it looks beautiful; It's the best I've ever seen it. I think everyone is going to be very happy with this release.

Oh, and there's no hospital scene.
Does it include both the US and European cuts, or just the one?

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

I only have an uncompressed file of the movie, not the whole disc. I get that on Monday. But I don't believe so, I think this release is only the US version. I saw someone post that it would have been great if they could've included the various versions (except original with the hospital scene) to show how Kubrick edited his films down for certain markets. But then you'd have the confusion of what is Kubrick's final version. All the information I've been able to read indicates this cut is it.

Reactions: PMF

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

My USA release copy arrived today. Looks great. Has HDR10+ besides DV. Take note Sony, bravo WB for including the audio commentary on the UHD disc. No option for different versions.
DSCN2320.JPG

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has the included Blu-ray also been given the new remaster, or is that the same disc from 2007?

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Regarding the hospital scene. Is it possible that it was between the shot of Jack sitting down in the maze and the daytime close-up shot of him? The reason I ask is that the cut between these two shots looks wrong – it’s too abrupt. I would have expected a dissolve or perhaps a cutaway indicating the passage of time between these shots.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The hospital scene was after the final shot of him frozen and before the tracking shot down the hallway to the photograph. The premiere engagement prints had a physical splice at that point, the later first run prints were from an edited negative, but there was always a little ‘bump’ at the cut point. Presumably, that’s been stabilized now.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Looks like the trailer was left off, too. While I pre-ordered this and are definitely looking forward to the 4K remaster... you'd think this would warrant a bit more effort. Criterion included both mono and 5.1 for Dr. Strangelove and Barry Lyndon, as well as the original trailer remastered in 1080p. (and Dr. Strangelove even includes the lengthy exhibitor's trailer in 1080p). Even Warner Archive would never leave off a trailer, especially one as iconic as the one for The Shining.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The hospital scene was after the final shot of him frozen and before the tracking shot down the hallway to the photograph. The premiere engagement prints had a physical splice at that point, the later first run prints were from an edited negative, but there was always a little ‘bump’ at the cut point. Presumably, that’s been stabilized now.

I'm curious where you got your information on the changes. Not that I question its accuracy, but I did see the film the night it opened and I always recalled Nicholson appearing AFTER the hospital scene. I do have a very faded memory of seeing it a second time, after Kubrick's edit, and being surprised that Nicholson's appearance in the snow was in a different place from when I saw it the night it opened.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm curious where you got your information on the changes. Not that I question its accuracy, but I did see the film the night it opened and I always recalled Nicholson appearing AFTER the hospital scene. I do have a very faded memory of seeing it a second time, after Kubrick's edit, and being surprised that Nicholson's appearance in the snow was in a different place from when I saw it the night it opened.

I didn't see the film opening night, but a couple of days later and the physical splice was at the point I described.

I seem to recall an online script that has the sequences in that order.

Here's one source: https://cinephiliabeyond.org/screenplay-deleted-original-ending-shining/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks