What's new

The Shining (1980) 4K (1 Viewer)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Found an interesting video comparing three home video versions of The Shining:

Discusses aspect ratio, color correction, sound remix, changes in music mix and more. Examples of differences between the mono mix and the 5.1 mix (2007 blu) of the music track start approx. 14:31.

Video also available here, with 5.1 audio:
https://archive.org/details/ShiningPhilology

Music editor Gordon Stanforth on the film:
http://www.gordonstainforth.co.uk/shining-music-intro
Contains valuable links to other sites with info about the film.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I didn't see the film opening night, but a couple of days later and the physical splice was at the point I described.

I seem to recall an online script that has the sequences in that order.

Here's one source: https://cinephiliabeyond.org/screenplay-deleted-original-ending-shining/

Very interesting--and thanks for sharing. Clearly my memory is incorrect here. Regardless, I do remember seeing that scene and walking out of the theater around 3:00 am. If you can believe it, there was a line of people to see the next show (it was opening night in LA, so it was a BIG event). There was also an audible reaction with Danny driving his big-wheel over the carpeting and throughout the hotel. That steady cam footage was so new and exciting at the time, and Stanley definitely took full advantage of the the equipment.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I was talking about the horizontal image. I was wrong though. The width on a full frame film remains the same if it is framed properly. The previous release framed the picture too close to the edge of the frame. They then opened up the vertical to make the ratio 1.78. This time, they framed the width to projection guidelines and the height to 1.78. So, same width as projected with a sliver more height.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
I was talking about the horizontal image. I was wrong though. The width on a full frame film remains the same if it is framed properly. The previous release framed the picture too close to the edge of the frame. They then opened up the vertical to make the ratio 1.78. This time, they framed the width to projection guidelines and the height to 1.78. So, same width as projected with a sliver more height.

Yes, that is correct, which is why sometimes you will see boom mics and other things that weren't intended to be seen creep into the frame on pan and scan versions. For a 1:33 image, the horizontal image remains the same and the top and bottom are typically opened up and you're seeing more information than was originally intended to be seen. I have heard some complaints that the new 4K version is 1.78 instead of 1.85, but I find the difference between the two pretty inconsequential.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Very interesting--and thanks for sharing. Clearly my memory is incorrect here. Regardless, I do remember seeing that scene and walking out of the theater around 3:00 am. If you can believe it, there was a line of people to see the next show (it was opening night in LA, so it was a BIG event). There was also an audible reaction with Danny driving his big-wheel over the carpeting and throughout the hotel. That steady cam footage was so new and exciting at the time, and Stanley definitely took full advantage of the the equipment.

Yep, I saw it in LA opening night at the Chinese if I remember correctly - and it's frozen Jack, hospital, photograph. Then over the weekend prints were edited with the hospital scene removed and the splice exactly as Pete describes it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have heard some complaints that the new 4K version is 1.78 instead of 1.85, but I find the difference between the two pretty inconsequential.

It is. You don't see any extra picture with 1:85, it's just a tiny slither of black over picture info top & bottom of the frame.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just got back from seeing the new 4k restoration of The Shining in the theater with a good crowd. Wow. What a creepy movie! Kubrick got amazing performances out of everyone in that film. What great production design.

PS And the picture and audio quality are fantastic.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Just got back from seeing the new 4k restoration of The Shining in the theater with a good crowd. Wow. What a creepy movie! Kubrick got amazing performances out of everyone in that film. What great production design.

PS And the picture and audio quality are fantastic.

How did the blood from the elevator look?

Reactions: PMF

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Even though the Blu-ray that's included was sourced from the same 4K master, the 4K UHD has an overall cooler color than the Blu-ray. Wonder why.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
UHD can represent a much wider color spectrum than BD, so the UHD version can reveal more while the color range has to be narrowed for the BD version. Between the different color spaces and the different calibration settings your TV uses to handle BD and UHD, that’s the most likely answer.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
UHD can represent a much wider color spectrum than BD, so the UHD version can reveal more while the color range has to be narrowed for the BD version. Between the different color spaces and the different calibration settings your TV uses to handle BD and UHD, that’s the most likely answer.

I cannot calibrate for HDR/DV, and that’s always going to be a problem. Still, I haven’t seen such a dramatic difference on other UHD discs and their BD counterparts. Are you seeing the difference? It’s not at all all subtle.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I swapped out each disc the UHD might be a little cooler but the difference in HDR/DV to SDR is what I notice.

Fritzl Dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Am thrilled with the 4K release. I DID notice an anomaly with with the picture, however briefly. Before explaining this, I should mention that I have a 2 year old LG 55" OLED, mated with the Panasonic 820 UHD Blu-ray machine. When the film shows Wendy Torrance, after bopping Jack Torrance with the baseball bat, backing up the stairs and the background is flooded with light from the windows, there is a momentary STROBE effect with that light source. It's over with in 2 seconds! It occurs for me again when Jack is stumbling through the hedge-row maze, chasing Danny, and shots showing the ground-based flood lights, occasionally, will show a quick strobe of the light source. Are there any HTF members seeing this?
All things considered, this is a minor quibble of an otherwise gorgeous release!
Fritzl Dog

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Am thrilled with the 4K release. I DID notice an anomaly with with the picture, however briefly. Before explaining this, I should mention that I have a 2 year old LG 55" OLED, mated with the Panasonic 820 UHD Blu-ray machine. When the film shows Wendy Torrance, after bopping Jack Torrance with the baseball bat, backing up the stairs and the background is flooded with light from the windows, there is a momentary STROBE effect with that light source. It's over with in 2 seconds! It occurs for me again when Jack is stumbling through the hedge-row maze, chasing Danny, and shots showing the ground-based flood lights, occasionally, will show a quick strobe of the light source. Are there any HTF members seeing this?
All things considered, this is a minor quibble of an otherwise gorgeous release!
Fritzl Dog
That flickering is in the original photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks