What's new

The Shining (1980) 4K (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
They need to cut it down to "Kubrick's preferred 119-minute cut"! None of this 144-minute nonsense!

Vincent

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
4k presentation last night of The Shining of TIFF Lightbox was a bit of a let-down. The PQ upgrade was most noticeable in the close ups, starting with Jack Nicholson's close up during his job interview, which had perfect clarity and lovely film grain. The medium and wider shots, however, (helicopter opening shots, shots of 4 characters touring the hotel) looked softer/hazier by comparison, which is kind of disappointing in that the Overlook is another character of the film who should get "close ups" with the same vivid quality as the human actors. Or is the hazy-ness an artistic choice to make things the hotel look "ghostly"? Or does this come down to 4k laying bare the lens quality of the production, with the close up lenses being the best in the camera department's package? Also The Shining isn't 65mm sourced like the 2001 4k release so this could never be the stunning revelation that release was. And I assume that Lightbox's projector isn't HDR capable so I'm curious how the reds, browns and golds of the ballroom and Jack's jacket will look on the October disc release. The impact of the scary music in surround was a highlight of this presentation.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
4k presentation last night of The Shining of TIFF Lightbox was a bit of a let-down. The PQ upgrade was most noticeable in the close ups, starting with Jack Nicholson's close up during his job interview, which had perfect clarity and lovely film grain. The medium and wider shots, however, (helicopter opening shots, shots of 4 characters touring the hotel) looked softer/hazier by comparison, which is kind of disappointing in that the Overlook is another character of the film who should get "close ups" with the same vivid quality as the human actors. Or is the hazy-ness an artistic choice to make things the hotel look "ghostly"? Or does this come down to 4k laying bare the lens quality of the production, with the close up lenses being the best in the camera department's package? Also The Shining isn't 65mm sourced like the 2001 4k release so this could never be the stunning revelation that release was. And I assume that Lightbox's projector isn't HDR capable so I'm curious how the reds, browns and golds of the ballroom and Jack's jacket will look on the October disc release. The impact of the scary music in surround was a highlight of this presentation.
I mostly agree about the softness, but I think that's just down to the lighting choices, lenses and film stock of the time.

But surround? I didn't hear any surround or stereo separation. It sounded good -and loud - but everything was coming from the front. Sounded like the original mono mix to me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That is too bad.
I hope the UHD is great. I remember there was quite a few less than impressive reviews of the 4K 2001: A Space Odyssey screenings, but the disc turned out much better than I had hoped for.

Reactions: PMF

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
But surround? I didn't hear any surround or stereo separation. It sounded good -and loud - but everything was coming from the front. Sounded like the original mono mix to me.

The fidelity of the scary music sounded like a remix to my ears -- like they went back to the original music elements/recordings rather than just use the 1980 mix. I wonder if there's an article about the audio restoration out there.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The fidelity of the scary music sounded like a remix to my ears -- like they went back to the original music elements/recordings rather than just use the 1980 mix. I wonder if there's an article about the audio restoration out there.

Did the audio need restoration?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The latest from WB.

Official word is that the film did, in fact, premiere on 23 May 80, at 144 minutes.

No cuts.

The 4k will present the original 144 minute premiere version, as it opened in NY and LA.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The latest from WB.

Official word is that the film did, in fact, premiere on 23 May 80, at 144 minutes.

No cuts.

The 4k will present the original 144 minute premiere version, as it opened in NY and LA.
I'm more confused than ever. We know the film didn't premiere at 144 minutes. It was 146 minutes with the ending changed a few days into the initial limited run, correct?

I never really believed we'd be getting the initial version, but saying that the 144 minute version is uncut and how it premiered is just not true.

Is WB publicity really that clueless or am I another victim of the trademarked RAH penchant for sarcasm?

MY BRAIN HURTS

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The latest from WB.

No cuts.

I heard from WB Publicity that Christopher Nolan is overseeing new 70mm & IMAX blowups for The Shining.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm more confused than ever. We know the film didn't premiere at 144 minutes. It was 146 minutes with the ending changed a few days into the initial limited run, correct?

I never really believed we'd be getting the initial version, but saying that the 144 minute version is uncut and how it premiered is just not true.

Is WB publicity really that clueless or am I another victim of the trademarked RAH penchant for sarcasm?

MY BRAIN HURTS

WB did not say the film is un-cut. Here is the precise corrected verbiage:

BURBANK, CA, May 15, 2019 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that
The Shining, Stanley Kubrick’s terrifying 1980 horror masterpiece, will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray and Digital on October 1. The 4K remastering is of Kubrick’s original 144minute version of the film which premiered in the United States on May 23rd, 1980.

Reactions: PMF

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Did the audio need restoration?
I interviewed Gordon Stainforth right before the 5.1 mix first appeared on DVD, and I recall he said the assembly of the music cues included needledrops. While i guess it is possible to go back to original tape masters, there was so much work that Stainforth did with the music cues (including layering elements of different Penderecki compositions), that I would be just happy to hear the orig mono and existing 5.1 mix (which I understand used the stems) in hi-res TrueHD or DTS Master.

Edit: found my interview with Gordon Stainforth
https://web.archive.org/web/20040402011421/http://amateurhometheater.com/El Gatos Corner/Felix-Stainforth Interview.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks