What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Right Stuff and Giant Special Editions: Due 6/10/03 (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Digital Eyes says it's 1.66:1 and enhanced for WS.
Well, here's hoping WB decides to break some new ground (for them anyway) with this DVD.

I don't know, if they are ever going to do 1.66:1 anamorphic, this would be a great one to start with.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
From the press release:

Giant – Presented for the first time ever on DVD, this legendary epic received ten Academy Award® nominations, earned director George Stevens an Oscar® and became Warner Bros.’ highest grossing movie from 1956 until the release of The Exorcist in 1973 (Giant’s box office total was $28 million domestically or $150 million in today's dollars). Based on Edna Ferber’s best-selling family saga about a Texas family of ranchers and oilmen, Giant stars Academy Award®-winner Elizabeth Taylor and Academy Award®-nominees James Dean, Rock Hudson and Dennis Hopper.

DVD special features include:
· Commentary by George Stevens, Jr., screenwriter Ivan Moffat and critic Steven Farber
· Nearly three hours of new and vintage documentaries, including two new retrospectives, Gala New York and Hollywood Premiere coverage and more
· Photo and document galleries
· Extensive production notes, director filmography and introduction by George Stevens, Jr.

Giant is presented in a 1:66 aspect ratio as originally presented for theatrical release and the DVD includes Dolby Digital sound. It will also include English and French languages (dubbed in Québécois) and subtitles in English, French and Spanish.
Looks like at least of of our questions is answered! 1.66:1 it is (even if they "spelled it wrong" as 1:66!! :D ).

Note that "Dolby Digital sound" can still mean 1.0 Dolby. And it doesn't say it is or isn't anamorphic, but it probably is.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Will it be precisely matted at 1.66:1 though?

And will it be anamorphic?

We'll find out soon enough.

This will be a great release, I'm sure. Great film.

Gordy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The 1.66:1 ratio (15:9) differs less from the 16:9 ratio (1.78) than from a 4:3 (1.33).

"Enhanced for widescreen" is very possible and indeed, some people would not notice it, perhaps, if it was really 16:9.

Let's hope (and trust) they do it right.

Cees

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I received The Right Stuff today.

- Excellent 1.85:1 transfer

- Excellent DD5.1 - yes it is 5.1 :)

- The commentaries are not feature-length, in fact, they are not even on disc 1; there are two 24-minute selected commentaries: one by the cast, and one by the 'filmmakers'

- The retrospective documetaries are great

- The PBS John Glenn docu is 80 minutes long! Superb!

- 7 minutes of deleted scenes

- The "Interactive Timeline Of Space" is a nice touch and quite interesting - clips from the landmarks in American space exploration etc.

Overall, a great package - a must-have! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

DeeF

Screenwriter
I picked these up today.

Giant

1.66:1, not enhanced. I suppose this is what they mean by "standard."

The sound is mono (I was very disappointed -- this is one movie that the sound really could be improved, particularly the music).

I don't know about the transfer, it seems to be the same source material as the "restored" version I saw in theaters in about 1995. Many shots look glorious. Quite a few look terrible, probably culled from prints many generations down. One particular shot of Elizabeth Taylor on the family porch is poorly registered.

It's a great film, but I'm just slightly disappointed in the presentation.

The extras are phenomenal, of course.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVDFile even goes as far to mention that the void on the sides of the 1.66:1 windowboxed image are visible in amounts depending on overscan.

Really weird stuff...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The track record of that particular reviewer at DVDFile is, at best, dubious with regards to accuracy. I'd wait for more independent reviews or HTF members' opinions before deciding on this one.

EDIT: DVD Town's review says it's non-anamorphic, agreeing with Dee's notes above. DVD Town GIANT

DeeF

Screenwriter
Nobody has to believe me, but this movie is NOT anamorphic. It doesn't say that it is on the cover, and it isn't.

Sad to say, my plasma television (and DVD player) can't really show this movie correctly. When I use the Zoom mode, the picture is displayed at 1.78:1, effectively cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. I did a little finagling, squeezing the picture vertically so I could see a little bit more. This was the only way I could actually watch it.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
According to the review up at DVD File, Giant is anamorphic.
In fact I checked the DVDFile review and it states in two places quite clearly "non-anamorphic". I'm convinced that WB backed out of this detail. It certainly would have given them better marks here at HTF if they would have stuck with their original plans :angry: . Maybe someday there will be a WB official willing to shed light on this decision. Non-the-less I'm hopeful of a good effort as well as finally being able to view this classic on my media of choice.

Joel

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
In fact I checked the DVDFile review and it states in two places quite clearly "non-anamorphic".
That is because the reviewer actually decided to watch the DVD and realised it wasn't 16:9 enhanced and updated his review accordingly. Another review site to avoid, it appears.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Thanks Gordon for the information about The Right Stuff:SE. Sounds like a definate winner.

Also a big :thumbsdown: to Warner for making Giant non-anamorphic. 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfers are a real pain in the ass to watch on a 16:9 tv. :angry:

Lowell

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfers are a real pain in the ass to watch on a 16:9 tv
Exactly right...which is the only reason that I'm not purchasing Giant. There's simply no "good" way to watch it on my widescreen TV. Sorry Warner, you lost a sale right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks