What's new

The Right Stuff and Giant Special Editions: Due 6/10/03 (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Two must-buys. :emoji_thumbsup:

I am willing to bet that Giant not only has a superior transfer to the Canadian edition, buy also has more extras.

I myself also used to think that The Right Stuff was 2.40:1 - shot in Panavision, but alas, no. I don't know if Kaufman has ever shot in scope. Invasion Of The Sutherland Snatchers is a brilliant piece of work - as good as Uncle Don's evergreen masterpiece.

Anmyway, thank you, Mr Mirza! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The fact that The Right Stuff was blown up to 70 millimeter for some showings in major markets might account for the mistaken belief that it was shot in an anamorphic scope format.

I saw The Right Stuff present in 70 millimeter during its first run engagement here in Los Angeles at Mann's Chinese Theatre.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
I am willing to bet that Giant not only has a superior transfer to the Canadian edition, buy also has more extras.
It better have a superior transfer. Don't know if we can expect more extras though as the Canadian DVD is pretty extensive in that department. It features:

- Newsreel
- George Stevens Jr. intro
- Book Trailer
- 1956 Trailer
- 1963 reissue trailer
- 1970 reissue trailer
- "Memories of Giant" (50 minute documentary)
- "On location in Marfa, Texas" featurette (6 minutes)
- "Interview with Dimitri Tiomkin" featurette (6 minutes)
- "Hollywood Premiere" featurette (4 minutes)
- "NY Premiere TV" featurette (28 minutes)

I wouldn't know what they could add to this apart from maybe a commentary.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Danny, I didn't realise that the disc had so many groovy extras!

I'm pretty sure that we'll get a commentary by someone - maybe George Stevens Jnr?

I hope that East Of Eden is in the works at Warner. The two make a great double-bill.

Thanks again, Danny. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Right now, Warners has rights problems withEast of eden and can not touch the film. I'll doubt we'll be getting it any time in the near future.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The Right Stuff is one of the films that will be shown at the Roger Ebert Overlooked Film Festival here in Champaign, IL in April 2003. They are going to show a 70 MM print of the movie. I will be purchasing the SE version. This is one of my favorite movies to show off the surrounds.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The fact that The Right Stuff was blown up to 70 millimeter for some showings in major markets might account for the mistaken belief that it was shot in an anamorphic scope format.
I saw The Right Stuff present in 70 millimeter during its first run engagement here in Los Angeles at Mann's Chinese Theatre.
Correct, the 70mm blow-up prints of The Right Stuff were 1.85 - I ran it first-run back then.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Great news about both The Right Stuff and Giant :D , both will be high on my list for the year. Now to only see what happened to Grapes of Wrath and the MIA for R1 The African Queen :frowning: .

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Wasn't the flipper 'Right Stuff' available in 5.1 rather than the upcoming 5.0? I wonder why the change?

Joel

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The Digital Bits is reporting that GIANT will be in it's "original full-frame video" and dvdreview.com also says it will be in fullscreen.

So is that actually correct AR for this 1956 film? IMDB says 1.66:1 for the film and the laserdisc released.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
I think that's a typo at the Digital Bits.

They also report that it will be Mono. The Canadian DVD has Dolby Surround.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I saw that reference to Giant being full frame on The Digital Bits, too. I'm confused, since TCM always shows this film letterboxed (it was on again yesterday).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Joe

what seems to be the problem with East of Eden & Warner. Sounds very similar to Fox & Grapes of Wrath.

aren't both books written by John Steinbeck ?

thanks

Oscar

Rob Ray

Agent
I think it was shot full-frame. I saw it in a revival house back in the seventies in academy ratio and saw it a few years ago at the Cinerama Dome in 1.85:1.

The full-frame laserdisc contains more information on the top and bottom and nothing is missing on the sides compared with the Canadian DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While it may have been exhibited at 1.66:1, the film may be one of the "post-production widescreen" films.

I saw part of TCM's print which was matted at 1.66:1 and it looked tight in a few scenes. For a film made in 1956, it's better to be safe with keeping it unmatted than matting it too much.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I find it very difficult to believe that the OAR for Giant is 1.37:1.

Having a look through the 1.78:1 Canadian DV, I can't find anything that looks "tight." The framing looks pretty good to my eye.

I suspect there is a typo somewhere along the lines as I can't see WB making a mistake like going MAR on a title like this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay guys, this is what Warner's database says right now:

Street Date: 6/10/03
Format: DVD
UPC: 085392322121
Cat#: 23221
Special Version: Special Edition
ISBN: 0-7907-7148-9
Sound Track Language: English
Packaging Type: Digi-Pack
Run Time: 201

MSRP: $26.99

Closed Captioning: Yes
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Aspect Ratio:
Original Aspect Ratio - 1.66
Standard [4:3 Transfer]

Sound Quality:
Dolby Surround Stereo - English
Mono - French
So, it seems to be saying that they acknowledge that the OAR is 1.66:1, but also states that the DVD will be 4:3 "Standard". :rolleyes

[rant]Before everyone gets their panties in a wad, though, let me point out that the info is VERY preliminary![/rant] Early info posted to WB's system is thankfully not all too often wrong, but it's wrong enough on a regular basis to cast doubt on this info at this early date.

When the supplements are posted and the press release rolls out, IF the info is still as it says above, THEN it is time to get upset.

Which is precisely why I hadn't posted this until now. If it wasn't for the fact that other sources had started talking about this, I would have held off until the press release and the supplement listings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I find it hard to believe that Warner would go to the trouble of releasing a two-disc special edition without the OAR being present on the dvd.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks