What's new

The Right Stuff and Giant Special Editions: Due 6/10/03 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Anyone know anything about the audio option for "The Right Stuff"? Why 5.0 and not 5.1? Do I need 5 gigantic speakers with 18" subs attached to them to hear this the way it was intended?

Was the original DVD 5.0 as well?

-Dennis

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
thegiant so called Dolby Surround is strictly spread mono. giant was a four chanel stereo film, but Warners did not keep the tracks. There are at least three collectors who have stereo prints but so far they have not been persuaded to come forth with them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Again, as long as the original mono sound of Giant is on the dvd, I have no complaints about the sound.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I don't understand you - the original sound is NOT mono. Its four channel stereo.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I did extensive research on GIANT for a thesis several years back while a student at USC Film School, where I had access to the Warner Brothers studio files maintained at the school library. According to those files, there were several Warner studio memos that clearly stated that GIANT was to be released in MONO.

Based on this factual information, one would highly doubt the exitstence of stereo prints of this film, but such myths are the stuff that legends are made of around these parts.

I'd love to be PROVEN wrong.....

:)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Roger-

In doing your research what do you think
the proper AR and OAR is?

Mark

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
from the Bits today:
Just wanted to quickly correct a mistake I made in yesterday's post. I incorrectly said that the Giant: SE would be in its original full-frame aspect ratio. It will actually be in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Just FYI.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well that settles that.

Will obviously not be anamorphic this time around then unless WB breaks with tradition.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
DVD Times in the UK reports that Warner will be releasing two other 2-disc Special Editions on the same date - ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES and ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. I've yet to read this anywhere else though. For what it's worth, the listed specs of those are as follows:

Once Upon A Time In America

229 minute version

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfer

English DD5.1 and French DD5.1 audio tracks

English, French and Spanish subtitles

Audio Commentary: Feature-length commentary by Film Critic/Historian Richard Schickel.

Documentary: Revealing Once Upon a Time: Sergio Leone documentary.

Filmographies

Photo gallery

Theatrical Trailer

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfer

English DD5.1, French DD2.0 Stereo and Spanish Mono audio tracks

English, French and Spanish subtitles

Audio Commentary: Commentaries by Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater, Writers/Producers Pen Densham and John Watson, Composer Michael Kamen

Featurette: "Robin Hood: The Man, The Myth, The Legend"

Interviews: One on one interviews with the cast

Music Only Track: Dolby 5.1

Music Video: Bryan Adams

Other: 3D Interactive Loop: "Weapons of the Time"

Photo gallery: Publicity Gallery

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Oscar! :)

Rain said:
Mmmmmm...I wonder where Bill got his information from. Certainly not from the Warner database system I use, which I just now checked, and it still looks the same as yesterday!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
To answer the earlier question, the correct aspect ratio for GIANT is indeed 1.66:1. Stevens' desire to make a "flat" film in the era awash in wide screens was well-publicized at the time of its original release. I saw several references to that in press clippings and reviews which I found while researching those USC files.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'm not aware of them ever releasing a 1.66:1 film enhanced for 16x9. :angry:
I am: Horror of Dracula for one. Of course, they did something worse in this case and cropped top and bottom for 1.78:1. :angry:

Come on, Warner Bros! Other studios (aside from MGM, head still in the sand) are producing excellent anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers - why can't you?!

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Giant specs:

Giant is presented in a 1:66 aspect ratio as originally presented for theatrical release and the DVD includes Dolby Digital sound. It will also include English and French languages (dubbed in Québécois) and subtitles in English, French and Spanish.

Extras: Commentary by George Stevens, Jr., screenwriter Ivan Moffat and critic Steven Farber; Nearly three hours of new and vintage documentaries, including two new retrospectives, Gala New York and Hollywood Premiere coverage and more; Photo and document galleries; Extensive production notes; director filmography;and introduction by George Stevens, Jr.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Box Office Magazine even had small ads at the time of release mentioning Warners NON cinemascope film would be available in Mag stereo.
I have been at two screenings of Giant in Stereo - in los Angeles in 1986 and again in Los Angeles in 1991.
the former manger of Corporate assetts, the man who found the missing stereo prints of East of eden, Rebel wihtout a cause, Helen of troy, Land of the Pharoahs etc, brought in several stereo reels of Giant to show Warner Studio execs around 1994. The film had a nice stereo mix, very little surrounds, but a lot of surround and bass in the scene where Jett rinks oil well comes in - the sound at that moment was really astonishing. there is also an alternate beginning. INstead of the chorus humming the theme, they sings lyrics instead!
Giant is three and a half hours and had an intermission and intermission musis, but Warners has never added this to their videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks