What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (2 Viewers)

Schwol

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
First time building a home theater system. I'm on a modest budget. I picked up a pair Klipsch R14-M during their 50% off sale. Although this center speaker is a bit older, I think the RC-10 should suffice for my needs at $120. I'm thinking of the R10-SW as the sub, but I need to pull the trigger during this sale at $175. Otherwise, I can go cheaper. I have neighbors on all sides in my small apartment, so I don't like to worry about bothering people. I plan to most likely start off with the front sides, center and sub before I put surrounds. I don't have many special needs or things to plug into a receiver. An xbox, cable box. I have a P55-F1 Vizio TV. Thinking of going with a Yamaha RX-V383BL receiver. I like to play music through bluetooth, so BT is a must.

R14-M - $100/pair
RC-10 - $120
RX-V383BL - $230
R10-SW - $175
$625 total

Maybe I just want someone's blessing who knows more about these than I, or want to know if I'm overlooking something or have something wrong in my plan.

Edit: I think the plan is to move these R14-M to rear speakers eventually. Would that work?

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
Speakers, Sub, Receiver

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 12x13

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, dining and kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No, I will need a basic one

What's your budget (low to high): $600-$1000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Last edited:

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
If 12x13 was a sealed room what you put together is probably a good entry point into the HT world. Depending upon how open that area is to the kitchen and dining room will change your experience though.

Speakers and subwoofers 'couple' with a room, and to an extent rely upon physical boundaries to reinforce their output (subwoofers in particular). If this is an open concept design than for sure the subwoofer will struggle as the R10-SW is not a powerhouse. Proximity could be your friend here; you can overcome some output challenges if the seating positions are close to the speakers/subwoofer. If you have flexibility with your placement options you may be fine with that setup.

Schwol

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the fast reply. Image attaches shows proximity to
If 12x13 was a sealed room what you put together is probably a good entry point into the HT world. Depending upon how open that area is to the kitchen and dining room will change your experience though.

Speakers and subwoofers 'couple' with a room, and to an extent rely upon physical boundaries to reinforce their output (subwoofers in particular). If this is an open concept design than for sure the subwoofer will struggle as the R10-SW is not a powerhouse. Proximity could be your friend here; you can overcome some output challenges if the seating positions are close to the speakers/subwoofer. If you have flexibility with your placement options you may be fine with that setup.

Thanks for the fast response. Image attached shows layout of the rooms. The red is TV. I'll usually play music from my phone via BT while i cook or tidy up the place. Like I said, I don't want to shake the earth too much, as I hate loud neighbors and the idea that I be one of them, but I want nice low end response, though it won't be turned up terribly high.

Attachments

• asd.png
    asd.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 130

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
That's not so bad - 3 sides are fully enclosed, something that will work to your advantage. Given your goals and budget I think you configured a system that would perform well.

Uerien

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Buetow
Hey All,

First time here (hope I am doing this correct).

I am having a rough time understanding and selecting a set of speakers that will pair well with my AV Receiver; Marantz NR 1609.
Currently, I have some (inherited) Eosone RSF 600 (pair) floor standing fronts and a Yamaha NS C225 center speaker. The surrounds are just some cheap Bose 301 series III (close enough) speakers. The sub woofer is a SVS 300 Watt Ported speaker (cant recall).

I know the Marantz produces warm sounds .. so ...do I want to go with bright speakers?

So far I have considered
1.) Going with the SVS Prime surround and saying "good enough"
2.) Going with the Klipsch RP-280FA and build around those (probably way to expensive)
3.) Leave it alone, what I have is good enough

The second question I have is .. the NR 1609 is a slim less powered receiver ... when it comes to driving speakers what numbers do I look at to determine if my receiver can push enough to the speaker to produce sound?

My goal around this .. is to have more clarity less volume (I am in a town home), so I can enjoy my movies.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
Speakers

Primary Use: 100% Movies & TV

Desired Configuration: 5.1.2

Room Size: 12x12

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, dining

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): Negotiable

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I can't necessarily say that a Marantz receiver produces a 'warm' sound but I suppose it's a matter of opinion as to the sound signature. Same with the speakers really; no one will be able to tell you what characteristics appeal to your ears as each of us seeks something different. The room, your seating distance/angle, furnishings (carpet, drapes, wooden floors, etc) also factor in so there are many different things to consider.

The NR series of receiver uses discrete amplification which essentially means each channel has its own amp. That's a good thing though as you tend to get better performance when the amplification stage is isolated. To an extent that makes up for the fact that the receiver is rated for only 50 watts per channel.

The unidentified SVS subwoofer could potentially become a factor. Odd as it may seem, the quality/capability of the sub does have an impact on the speakers. You want to ensure both are a cohesive pairing so matching the strengths of one to the weakness of the other can prove beneficial. Since the budget is "negotiable" is there an opportunity to consider a new subwoofer as well?

Jason T3

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason T
Hi, anybody can give any suggestions for me about my basement home theater setup? Thanks a lot!

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 20% Music, 80% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 14x15

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? NO

What's your budget (low to high): $2000-2500

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
You have a nice budget for a room that size so I'm sure you can get something that will work quite well. Amplification is key when choosing speakers though, so some indication about what direction you're going in with that is essential. Since the room is on the small side are you thinking bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers?

Jason T3

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason T
You have a nice budget for a room that size so I'm sure you can get something that will work quite well. Amplification is key when choosing speakers though, so some indication about what direction you're going in with that is essential. Since the room is on the small side are you thinking bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers?

bookshelf speakers are ok for me because there is nothing in the room now. But Tower is probably too big. Thanks!

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens
I am looking to get new speakers. I am thinking Polk Audio t50 for fronts and t15 as rears since the t15 are smaller than other speakers. I was also looking at the tsi200 or monitor60 as my front speakers. My sits on 3 foot tall cabinets, which my speaker will be going on as well so this is why I am also thinking the tsi200 would be more at ear level. Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1.2

Room Size: 25x20

Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes, kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier?Yes onkyo nr-676

What's your budget (low to high): $200-$500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? wife approved budget and size.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I am looking to get new speakers. I am thinking Polk Audio t50 for fronts and t15 as rears since the t15 are smaller than other speakers. I was also looking at the tsi200 or monitor60 as my front speakers. My sits on 3 foot tall cabinets, which my speaker will be going on as well so this is why I am also thinking the tsi200 would be more at ear level. Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

Your what sits on 3 foot tall cabinets? What about a center, or is that what sits on the cabinet?

With so many options available for both tower and bookshelf speakers it's probably best to decide on form factor before anything else. Once you know that direction the choices are instantly narrowed down.

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens
Your what sits on 3 foot tall cabinets? What about a center, or is that what sits on the cabinet?

With so many options available for both tower and bookshelf speakers it's probably best to decide on form factor before anything else. Once you know that direction the choices are instantly narrowed down.
My TV sits on a 3 foot cabinet that my speakers will go on as well. I figured I would be matching the Center speaker to the same series left and right speakers which is why I didn’t mention it.

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens

This is the cabinet I would be putting my speakers on. What would be better, Polk t50 or Polk Tsi200?
7FA3D01F-EEEE-4BC6-AA18-29003942E137.jpeg

Last edited:

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens

Would bookshelf speakers be to small?

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
This is the cabinet I would be putting my speakers on. What would be better, Polk t50 or Polk Tsi200?

From a sonic perspective that is going to be a tough space to overcome. The speakers are in a cubby which will effectively create an echo chamber. They are also pushed way back from the front lip of the cabinet, a placement that creates reflections and will wreak havoc on the sound. Since all the surfaces are hard your room EQ system is going to have its work cut out.

Would bookshelf speakers be to small?

Large spaces dictate equally large speakers. However, proximity can be your friend; if the couch will remain that close you can get away with bookshelf speakers. If so, the TSi200 may be sufficient. Were you planning on placing the center in the same location as the one in your picture?

What about a subwoofer, have you given that some thought yet? The way they work is even more closely coupled to the size of the room. Sitting near the speakers can allow you to get away with using something smaller than you should, but a subwoofer is more affected by the volume of space - and its placement in the room - so getting something that proves satisfactory will likely cause you to increase the budget.

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens
From a sonic perspective that is going to be a tough space to overcome. The speakers are in a cubby which will effectively create an echo chamber. They are also pushed way back from the front lip of the cabinet, a placement that creates reflections and will wreak havoc on the sound. Since all the surfaces are hard your room EQ system is going to have its work cut out.

Large spaces dictate equally large speakers. However, proximity can be your friend; if the couch will remain that close you can get away with bookshelf speakers. If so, the TSi200 may be sufficient. Were you planning on placing the center in the same location as the one in your picture?

What about a subwoofer, have you given that some thought yet? The way they work is even more closely coupled to the size of the room. Sitting near the speakers can allow you to get away with using something smaller than you should, but a subwoofer is more affected by the volume of space - and its placement in the room - so getting something that proves satisfactory will likely cause you to increase the budget.
Yes my couch will always remain that distance. I do plan on trying to keep the Center in the same location but eventually will mount the tv which will allow for a bigger center once I decide what to upgrade to. I plan on getting a new sub but basing that on what I upgrade to. I will place the sub on the ground to the left of the cabinet between the couch and cabinet. Only place that is not out in the open or in a cabinet.

Speaker choice wise I’m looking at the following speaker choices (trying to stay under 500 maybe a little higher):

1. Polk T series
2. Polk monitor 60 with cs10 Center
3. Tsi200 with cs10
4.polk S20 with s35 or s30
5. PolkS50 with s35 or s30

Not sure which to go for to start out an 5.1.2 or 7.1 setup.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Yes my couch will always remain that distance. I do plan on trying to keep the Center in the same location but eventually will mount the tv which will allow for a bigger center once I decide what to upgrade to. I plan on getting a new sub but basing that on what I upgrade to. I will place the sub on the ground to the left of the cabinet between the couch and cabinet. Only place that is not out in the open or in a cabinet.

Speaker choice wise I’m looking at the following speaker choices (trying to stay under 500 maybe a little higher):

1. Polk T series
2. Polk monitor 60 with cs10 Center
3. Tsi200 with cs10
4.polk S20 with s35 or s30
5. PolkS50 with s35 or s30

Not sure which to go for to start out an 5.1.2 or 7.1 setup.

Just curious, why all Polk? There are many options available, some of which may prove to be a better choice.

R09PA

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Havens
Just curious, why all Polk? There are many options available, some of which may prove to be a better choice.

Just what I have researched and have been drawn to. Defiantly open to other suggestions.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

What's wrong with Polk? Listen to the speakers and decide what you like. It is very subjective. My tastes in speakers may be very different than yours. It doesn't make either of us wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks