1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave Upton, May 13, 2016.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    If you’re trying to put together a budget surround system, the Polk Monitor series is an excellent choice. Look for deals on them, which are easy to find. Just don’t get a Polk sub. Look at Dayton or BIC.

2. R09PA

R09PA Auditioning

Russell Havens
    Thank you. I was thinking of the monitors but by just looking at specs it is hard to decide. I also looked at the Dayton t652 and pioneer fs52. I have seen that the t50 are better for surround on movie and pioneer are better musically but I don’t know how accurate that is since I haven’t heard them. I’m also just considering bookshelf speakers for my fronts since I have a high cabinet I would be putting them on anyway, which I would Rather spend 200-300 on a pair of bookshelves than one tower. Poor man problems.

3. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Better for surround and better for music are just some folks opinion. There's not too much you can tell from others opinions. You have to listen and decide.

That is a bit different for subwoofers. Specs do matter.

4. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Who said there is anything wrong with them? I asked why all the choices were Polk, and mentioned that perhaps there were other options available which might suit his needs. No reason to keep a narrow focus on choices.

5. JLogan3o13

JLogan3o13 Auditioning

Jeremiah Logan
    Good evening, all. New to the forum and not really well versed in home theater. I looked around a little bit, but did not see my exact question asked and answered before, so forgive me if it has been.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
    Wireless Speakers

Primary Use:
    TV & Movies

Desired Configuration:

Room Size:
    Dual Room Setup (40 ft total)

Is the room open to other areas of your home:
    No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier?
    Yes

What's your budget (low to high):
    $1500-2000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)?
    Here's the rub: I have a living room that is open to my home office. Total distance from TV in the living room to my office is ~40 feet. Because of acoustics in the area, in order for me to hear the TV in my office it has to be turned up to a level that is uncomfortable for anyone in the living room. I have been searching for some sort of wireless setup that would allow me to have a speaker in my office with independent sound control, leaving those in the living room to listen off either the TV sound or a sound bar. I have checked out Sonos and a couple other brands, but am always told that there will be a delay (from "slight" to "significant") in the sound delivery to the speaker in the office. So my question is, in general, is this accurate? Is there no wireless system that will allow seamless sound between wireless speakers?

6. Alngu3

Alngu3 Auditioning

al ngu
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, I couldn't find it thru search...

I'm looking for a way to reduce wires and units as much as possible (by reducing units I mean that for example a soundbar with integrated woofer is better than separate units in my case...)
    The rear speakers need to be battery powered. I understand that woofer/soundbar will have to have power, but Ideally I'd have a bar under the TV and two battery powered speakers in the back.

There are only three off the shelf options I found:
    1) Oneaudio (various options, micro/mini/medi w/ or without woofer)
    https://www.oneaudio.cc/wireless-surround

2) JBL 5.1
    https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+Bar+5.1.html?dwvar_JBL Bar 5.1_color=Black-USA-Current

3) Damson S-series
    https://www.damsonglobal.com/us/homecinema

I was wondering whether

a) someone has some experience with any of these
    b) are there any other options I'm missing?

Is there a soundbar that can cooperate with wireless battery powered speakers?

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do enjoy good sound

The budget is up to $2k, but I'd prefer to stay in the 700-800 territory if possible.

Also, if it supports dolby atmos, that's a huge plus.

Thank you in advance!

7. Message #207 of 224 Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The issue in your situation is that the TV sound you hear will be delayed ~40 ms compared to your local speaker, because the local speaker is right in front of you, while the TV is 40 ft. away. So actually, the delay added by wireless might work to your benefit.

A Bluetooth transmitter like the Avantree Oasis coupled with a Bluetooth speaker is the cheapest route to get sound to your office space. However, if you do get a delay issue (meaning it’s more or less than 40 ms), there will be no no way to compensate.

The good news is that with your budget, you can afford a “Rolls Royce” system using pro-audio gear that will be offer more reliability than Bluetooth can offer. I’d suggest the DN-202WT transmitter and DN-202WR receiver combo from Denon Professional, along with an active speaker of your choice (probably you’ll want one with front-access volume controls). You could then add a digital processor that could dial in the exact amount of delay so that the sound is seamless. It should be no problem getting this set up for hundreds under your budget.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. brosborough

brosborough Auditioning

Brian Rosborough
    What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 90% movies, 10% video gaming

Desired Configuration: 5.1.2

Room Size: 18x16, A frame living room. highest point runs north to south, so top of the A. TV sits on East wall, couch closer to west wall. Probably important to give you an idea of how the TV and I sit in the room. Couch is approximately 12' away from TV. Large wrap around couch, so it runs over to the north wall, and then down that wall. Back wall is about 3.5' from the couch.

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, on the south wall, opening into the kitchen. And on the west wall, back south corner, opening to long hallway

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Receiver, Denon AVRX4400H is what i have purchased`

What's your budget (low to high): $1300 - 1700

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Just that I don't really want to install speakers in the ceiling for Atmos. So whatever is recommended, would Atmos work being placed on top of the front L&R speakers, or built into them? Or that just won't work with your ceiling type, and i should buy your recommendations and go back to 7.1, which is what I have now. WIFE APPROVED!!!

thanks,

9. theJman

Jim
    With that percentage of movies you shouldn't really spend less than $500 on your subwoofer as it's an integral part of the experience. That's the price range where you start to get solid products. One of the better subs in that class is the Rythmik LV12F.

Speakers tend to be a bit more of a personal choice - as there are many variables involved - but a few potential options are HTD's Level Two, NHT's C Series and the Premier Acoustic products.

10. brosborough

brosborough Auditioning

Brian Rosborough
    Ok. HSU VTF-3 MK5 has been Purchased.

Still debating speakers. Best Buy is all I have for a store to demo. And they have a very small selection. And it’s all stacked on top of itself on the shelf.

Trying to find a place to go listen to the Elac debut 2.0 system. Lot of really good reviews on them. But I know what’s pleasing to your ear might not be as pleasing to mine. May just have to roll the dice.

11. theJman

Jim
    So you jumped right to a $900 subwoofer? There's something you don't see everyday, but you chose wisely; it's better to spend a little more up front than to realize you didn't get something acceptable and have to buy twice. BTW, the VTF-3 is a very nice subwoofer. I reviewed one about 3 1/2 years ago and was quite impressed by what it was capable of.

When using reviews to help make a purchase decision pay particular attention to what they say about aspects you consider important. For example, suppose you prefer very clear voices. If most of the reviews comment about poor movie dialog perhaps those are not the speakers for you. If you see comments about very sharp highs but you're sensitive to treble then those are probably not a good option. Things like that.

12. brosborough

brosborough Auditioning

Brian Rosborough
    Thanks Jman. I’m about to just go to BestBuy and purchase the Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 series, minus the sub. And also the Klipsch r-820f and the rest of the 7.0 to match.

And just stand it up side by side. Return the one I don’t like. Can’t figure out what to do. And before anyone says if you can afford that, just buy the much higher priced XYZ setup, I can’t afford it. But I have great credit which I never use, lol. So I can easily swing that for a few days of listening.

But maybe speaker break in would never happen and I’d still never know.

Closest two comparisons I’ve found to those speakers seem to have most votes going to the Elac debut. Unless I can splurge for the Klipsch RP series the Elac was better.

If anyone out there has been able to listen side by side I’d love to hear your opinion though. Again, I’m a movie watcher. Never listen to music unless I’m in the car.

13. Vince123

Vince123 Auditioning
    Supporter

Vincent
    What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers

Primary Use: 50% Music, 50% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.2 or 7.2

Room Size: 18’wide
    28’long tv mounted on this wall
    16’ cathedral ceiling

Is the room open to other areas of your home: 3.5’ (hallway)and 13’ (dining room) on either side of the tv

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes I have two both Onkyo, Tx-sr373 & Tx-nr676

What's your budget (low to high): $400-800

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Currently running the sr373 with 5 bookshelf speakers two Sony ss-mb150h (front left and right) one Sony ss-dp1000w {(center) have two} two Klipsch Rb-10 (rear left and right)
    Subs are two 10” Sony Xplod 1100w in a sealed box with a 300w plate amp.

I just picked up the nr-676 receiver and a pair of pioneer Ts-w311d4 12” subs with a ported box and a 1000w plate amp all brand new. Anything that I don’t use upstairs will get thrown together in the basement for music. I’ve always been a garage sale type when it comes to surround sound because anything beats those plastic speakers. But now I’m kinda lost with this huge room that eats the sound like it’s nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

14. theJman

Jim
    Looking over this list I see a few mutually exclusive items unfortunately. You'll likely need to prioritize the things most important and focus on those as you won't be able to achieve all of this with the target budget.

Your room is over 8000 ft^3 (cubic feet), quite a large space. I'm not certain you could even get a subwoofer capable of overcoming that for your maximum $800 budget, let alone a 5.2 system (you can remove 7.2 from consideration, that would require a pretty significant amount over your budget). To a certain extent you can mitigate room volume by sitting close to the speakers and subwoofer, but your system would still need to have solid capabilities no matter how close you are. It might be better to start small and build as finances permit. Maybe 3.1 initially and then move up to 5.2, and perhaps at some point in the future 7.2.

The subwoofers you're listing are designed for cars, which have a totally different focus than HT subs do. Auto products are for high SPL and exaggerated mid-bass response curves, while HT models are designed for depth/extension and flat response curves. Just like a home subwoofer would be a poor choice for a car, you will get poor results using a car subwoofer in your home.

15. Vince123

Vince123 Auditioning
    Supporter

Vincent
    Thanks for the quick response, I forgot the 1 on my budget ($1400-1800) is where I am or I can always save my pennies.

The space is huge compared to anything I have done before.

There are several reasons I’ve gone with the car subs.
    •I know them
    •bang for the buck
    •fills the room
    •YouTube is my music provider

When I first set the system up a friend brought a Polk Audio PSW505 and compared to ~$210 I spent on xplods box and plate amp, I didn’t see the extra $ not even close. That’s my main reasoning for the car subs, but I’m here because I’m in over my head with this room and need guidance.

16. theJman

Jim
    That certainly changes things. Now you have options.

The Polk sub is barely usable so perhaps that's not the best yardstick. ;)

If your preferences are slanted toward mid-bass, which is what car subs are designed for, then maybe the more traditional HT subwoofer is not for you. Given half your viewing is TV and movies I suspect the lack of deep bass will become an issue at some point, but if what you have now works stick with it. So does that mean you are only in need of speakers then?

17. Vince123

Vince123 Auditioning
    Supporter

Vincent
    Awesome!!

Lol, that’s why I explained myself and why I’m here now

I suppose so, if you leave me a with a few ¢ in the budget and a recommendation I’ll have something to work towards for a real HT sub.

18. theJman

Jim
    The Chane A Series speakers have excellent SQ and high output potential so they would be a good option, especially considering the size of your room. Towers, center and surrounds would come in at less than $1500, so well within your budget.

Since it seems as though you aren't adverse to DIY maybe you should check out DIY Sound Group. They have all manner of options for speakers, from just cabinets all the way to full kits. That would align with your DIY subs as well.

19. Vince123

Vince123 Auditioning
    Supporter

Vincent
    Sweet these sound perfect, but that leads to another “?” Lol. They have a sale on the HIVI SWAN H5 and the base price is almost double the CHANE A1.4. The sale actually makes the HIVI a touch cheaper in a bundle, so which it the better bookshelf?

This is super tempting and I have a CNC router so imagination would be the limit. But for now I’d like to go plug and play. So when I address the thrown together state of my basement, I’ll be back here questioning the pros and cons of custom cabinets in a wannabe theater setup.

20. Vince123

Vince123 Auditioning
    Supporter

Vincent
    Ah, the reason the Swan is being recommended is because the A1.4 is out of stock