1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave Upton, May 13, 2016.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    If you’re trying to put together a budget surround system, the Polk Monitor series is an excellent choice. Look for deals on them, which are easy to find. Just don’t get a Polk sub. Look at Dayton or BIC.

2. R09PA

R09PA Auditioning

Russell Havens
    Thank you. I was thinking of the monitors but by just looking at specs it is hard to decide. I also looked at the Dayton t652 and pioneer fs52. I have seen that the t50 are better for surround on movie and pioneer are better musically but I don’t know how accurate that is since I haven’t heard them. I’m also just considering bookshelf speakers for my fronts since I have a high cabinet I would be putting them on anyway, which I would Rather spend 200-300 on a pair of bookshelves than one tower. Poor man problems.

3. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Better for surround and better for music are just some folks opinion. There's not too much you can tell from others opinions. You have to listen and decide.

That is a bit different for subwoofers. Specs do matter.

4. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Who said there is anything wrong with them? I asked why all the choices were Polk, and mentioned that perhaps there were other options available which might suit his needs. No reason to keep a narrow focus on choices.

5. JLogan3o13

JLogan3o13 Auditioning

Jeremiah Logan
    Good evening, all. New to the forum and not really well versed in home theater. I looked around a little bit, but did not see my exact question asked and answered before, so forgive me if it has been.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
    Wireless Speakers

Primary Use:
    TV & Movies

Desired Configuration:

Room Size:
    Dual Room Setup (40 ft total)

Is the room open to other areas of your home:
    No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier?
    Yes

What's your budget (low to high):
    $1500-2000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)?
    Here's the rub: I have a living room that is open to my home office. Total distance from TV in the living room to my office is ~40 feet. Because of acoustics in the area, in order for me to hear the TV in my office it has to be turned up to a level that is uncomfortable for anyone in the living room. I have been searching for some sort of wireless setup that would allow me to have a speaker in my office with independent sound control, leaving those in the living room to listen off either the TV sound or a sound bar. I have checked out Sonos and a couple other brands, but am always told that there will be a delay (from "slight" to "significant") in the sound delivery to the speaker in the office. So my question is, in general, is this accurate? Is there no wireless system that will allow seamless sound between wireless speakers?

6. Alngu3

Alngu3 Auditioning

al ngu
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, I couldn't find it thru search...

I'm looking for a way to reduce wires and units as much as possible (by reducing units I mean that for example a soundbar with integrated woofer is better than separate units in my case...)
    The rear speakers need to be battery powered. I understand that woofer/soundbar will have to have power, but Ideally I'd have a bar under the TV and two battery powered speakers in the back.

There are only three off the shelf options I found:
    1) Oneaudio (various options, micro/mini/medi w/ or without woofer)
    https://www.oneaudio.cc/wireless-surround

2) JBL 5.1
    https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+Bar+5.1.html?dwvar_JBL Bar 5.1_color=Black-USA-Current

3) Damson S-series
    https://www.damsonglobal.com/us/homecinema

I was wondering whether

a) someone has some experience with any of these
    b) are there any other options I'm missing?

Is there a soundbar that can cooperate with wireless battery powered speakers?

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do enjoy good sound

The budget is up to $2k, but I'd prefer to stay in the 700-800 territory if possible.

Also, if it supports dolby atmos, that's a huge plus.

Thank you in advance!

7. Message #207 of 207 Nov 15, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The issue in your situation is that the TV sound you hear will be delayed ~40 ms compared to your local speaker, because the local speaker is right in front of you, while the TV is 40 ft. away. So actually, the delay added by wireless might work to your benefit.

A Bluetooth transmitter like the Avantree Oasis coupled with a Bluetooth speaker is the cheapest route to get sound to your office space. However, if you do get a delay issue (meaning it’s more or less than 40 ms), there will be no no way to compensate.

The good news is that with your budget, you can afford a “Rolls Royce” system using pro-audio gear that will be offer more reliability than Bluetooth can offer. I’d suggest the DN-202WT transmitter and DN-202WR receiver combo from Denon Professional, along with an active speaker of your choice (probably you’ll want one with front-access volume controls). You could then add a digital processor that could dial in the exact amount of delay so that the sound is seamless. It should be no problem getting this set up for hundreds under your budget.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt