What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say this, but I never realized Goldsmith composed the Voyager title theme!

Looking at the tracks on the four discs, I was thinking it must be too much to expect to have a complete series score. So it's much more efficient to select scores from prominent episodes. Historically going back to TOS I guess this makes sense.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nelson, I would highly recommend the Caretaker standalone score. It's the only other Voyager-centric release out there right now. When I bought mine, it was crazy cheap. You can probably find it second hand, too. That's a great CD to have, as are DS9 (Emissary) and ENT (Broken Bow).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found all three soundtracks. I was given Broken Bow as a gift when I was laid off from a company I'd been with for over a decade. They wanted it to look like a going away party. So the Broken Bow disc doesn't get a lot of play. As Kirk said, it's a very unhappy memory for me. But I'm mostly over it now, so I'll break that disc out for a listen. :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I found all three soundtracks. I was given Broken Bow as a gift when I was laid off from a company I'd been with for over a decade. They wanted it to look like a going away party. So the Broken Bow disc doesn't get a lot of play. As Kirk said, it's a very unhappy memory for me. But I'm mostly over it now, so I'll break that disc out for a listen. :)

Sorry to hear about the memory, there. There's music that I listened to heavily around the time of a rough period for me many, many years ago that I find I avoid now. Shame, as some of that music is terrific, but the association has been hard to shake.

I am just spinning that standalone Enterprise disc now (since it's been mentioned so much today) and I had forgotten just how good Dennis McCarthy's music is for the Broken Bow pilot. I'll likely spin the Caretaker standalone release later today as well since I like it so much too!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. It was a really low period for me. But I'm over it mostly and I have a much better job now in every way. :)

I'll have the Voyager and DS9 discs on Monday. Kind of surprised since I have Prime it will take that long.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
New news and some sadness to report.

Looks like the next Trek release from LaLaLand is in Q3 with more DS9 followed in a year from now with more Voyager and a "leftovers" release sometime in 2018. After that, there's nothing else for LaLaLand to do, for all intents and purposes. I will forever be grateful for what we have and understand this is all the memorable music from the different shows. We have a ton of content, going back to the original TOS and TNG releases decades ago.

There maybe something Discovery-related in the future and the expanded movie scores (the latter isn't with LaLaLand based on the last three movies). But until then...I'm looking forward to Voyager on the 28th.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Voyager and DS9 discs arrived today in soggy California. I also found in my cabinet this TNG disc. I don't remember getting it, perhaps it was also a gift when I left that company. It's interesting that the titles on these discs, as far as I have seen from just 10 seconds of looking, don't overlap the LaLa Land sets for TNG, Enterprise, Voyager and DS9. Perhaps Crescendo still has rights to those titles. I might have to track down those two other volumes of TNG discs from Crescendo.

image.jpeg

Thanks again for the recommendation to add these discs to my collection. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nelson,

You're right: the Emissary, Caretaker and Broken Bow discs are not replicated on any LaLaLand set (aside from opening and closing credits). This is super nice, IMO, because it's all original music.

There are four total "original" TNG release:

I - Encounter at Farpoint
II - The Best of Both Worlds
III - You have
IV - Tin Man, Inner Light, Sub Rosa, Fistful of Datas, Dark Page, Descent, Birthright

I'd suggest getting the recently expanded EaF (comes with The Arsenal of Freedom) and BoBW, not these originals. Pick up IV (it should be cheap). If you're a real completist, get everything like me and then decide which version you want to listen to. ^_^

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason for explaining the TNG releases. I was a little confused when I tried to look them up yesterday. So this gives me a clear picture of what to look for. :). I did see the expanded versions so I'll go for those. I like Arsenal of Freedom as an episode.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
More than welcome, Nelson! I'm creating a master workbook of official original music with release dates and cover art because I'm retentive like that. ;) I do use this site a bit for older releases, not to mention Memory Alpha.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, Jason, Neil, I've added more discs to the collection per our last discussion. The other three TNG volumes just arrived this week. ;) Thanks of the heads up on the TNG individual discs. BTW, the La La Land Voyager set is enroute to me, and I was glad to see that the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea film score disc is still available.

I know you guys have all theses pre-La La Land sets. I think I might be almost complete for the Star Trek releases from GNP Crescendo and Sarabande releases. Reminds me of the olden days of Starlog and the Neil Norman ads. Finally got Forbidden Planet. :)

image.jpeg

And for fun, the older discs from the pre-La La Land TOS soundtrack set. Norman had quite a few sets out looking back. And the Label X releases while new recordings, aren't too bad. I remember going to Los Angeles for a Star Trek Convention and the The Cage/Where No Man Has Gone before soundtrack was still fairly new then and was released as a vinyl record. I wasn't into the soundtracks then but I eventually picked one up then later the CD's.

image.jpeg

Lots of ripping to do and I still need to dig into the new La La Land TNG, Ent and DS9 sets and the Ron Jones Project set.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, seeing all of those TNG sets out there is reminding me of the Star Trek Generations soundtrack from GNP that I had. I believe I had the first pressing, which might have included some kind of shiny or perhaps foil embossed version of the cover art in addition to the standard CD booklet. I think, after the score ended, it also included dozens of tracks with various sound effects from the film. I've got the score itself ripped to my iTunes collection, but the disc has been in storage for quite some time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I just happen to be looking at the Star Trek Soundtrack website, what you're describing looks like the 2 CD expanded soundtrack for Generarions. Because my main interest has been TOS, I haven't been as avid in collecting TNG and the other series soundtracks. So I don't have that one. Sounds really good! I only have the deluxe First Contact set. But the 2 disc Generations and the Goldsmith Insurraction and Nemesis scores are next to get! I have to get all the Goldsmith scores. Thanks for reminding me!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was actually a single disc edition that was the first release of the soundtrack - the one that came out at the same time as the movie, in 1994. I remember getting it at the time the movie came out or shortly after and listening to it a ton as I waited for the home video release. The main theme, which I think the disc called the Generations Overture, is really fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks