What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, thanks for the heads up on the season 5 blu-ray. I will check that out! It will be of more interest to me now.

I'm beginning to see that nearly every episode of TNG had its own score. And yes, Amok Time and Doomsday Machine are truly iconic for the music too! So I'm guessing there wasn't nearly the amount of TNG music tracked like it was on TOS.

Unless my memory is way off, aside from the main titles and end title music, every episode had a brand new score composed for TNG through ENT. We may have heard the Klingon/Romulan/Borg music repeated, but it was all newly recorded for each episode. That's quite a feat, honestly. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
So what does this mean exactly?
Is it going to sound a lot different then the cd release?
I have a technics lp player.
CDs are digital (44.1/16). In 2011 we transferred TMP from analog to digital (192/24) and then edited, restored and mastered at that rate. The vinyl is from the 192/24 master without being converted down to 44.1/16. Since LPs are an analog medium, it should have greater resolution than the CD.

Neil

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
CDs are digital (44.1/16). In 2011 we transferred TMP from analog to digital (192/24) and then edited, restored and mastered at that rate. The vinyl is from the 192/24 master without being converted down to 44.1/16. Since LPs are an analog medium, it should have greater resolution than the CD.

Neil

Thank you!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. I plan to get this but it slipped my mind. I see it's out of stock now, hopefully back in stock soon.

I was researching turntables as I need one to play this. I hope to set up a turntable with a good needle, so I'm learning what I can to make the best choice. I've never had a really good one and last used my turntable (which I don't have anymore) in the late 1980's early 90's. I've been looking at a used Technics 1200 and possibly refurbishing one. But I'm not set on that one yet. I'm really curious if I can get the same depth of the octaves range as described in that review linked above. I bet my speakers, which are pretty capable, may play frequencies it's never had to play before as it's only been fed CD's. At least I hope that's the case. :).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Neil. I plan to get this but it slipped my mind. I see it's out of stock now, hopefully back in stock soon.

I was researching turntables as I need one to play this. I hope to set up a turntable with a good needle, so I'm learning what I can to make the best choice. I've never had a really good one and last used my turntable (which I don't have anymore) in the late 1980's early 90's. I've been looking at a used Technics 1200 and possibly refurbishing one. But I'm not set on that one yet. I'm really curious if I can get the same depth of the octaves range as described in that review linked above. I bet my speakers, which are pretty capable, may play frequencies it's never had to play before as it's only been fed CD's. At least I hope that's the case. :).

Back in stock as of a few days ago. Hurry!!!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/STMP-V.html

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Never mind my original post here. I have an email confirmation of the order, so its all good. Can't wait to listen to the LP.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Never mind my original post here. I have an email confirmation of the order, so its all good. Can't wait to listen to the LP.

I received an email with my order.
I would contact them to make sure the order was received.

I have not received my copy yet, but I ordered on Friday the 7th. The order tracking still states it will ship in 2-3 days. I'll update later.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, regarding TMP, my impression is we pre-ordered, so it will be available in some weeks from what I read. Though maybe my memory is faulty.

That Mondo Star Trek II vinyl record I recall was announced/released some years ago, maybe 4 years ago? I remember the art for the cover was quite good and made an impression. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer better but that's memory. Maybe I'll grab a copy of that too. Thanks for finding it.

Edit: I reread the description on that Mondo Star Trek II release, it says it's celebrating the 50th anniversary of Star Trek with that release, so it must have come out last year. Seemed longer then that to me. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Osato, regarding TMP, my impression is we pre-ordered, so it will be available in some weeks from what I read. Though maybe my memory is faulty.

That Mondo Star Trek II vinyl record I recall was announced/released some years ago, maybe 4 years ago? I remember the art for the cover was quite good and made an impression. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer better but that's memory. Maybe I'll grab a copy of that too. Thanks for finding it.

Edit: I reread the description on that Mondo Star Trek II release, it says it's celebrating the 50th anniversary of Star Trek with that release, so it must have come out last year. Seemed longer then that to me. :)

I'll order shortly as well. It's back in stock for the moment....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, I'm really faulty today! I thought the TMP LP wouldn't be available for a few weeks and then I just got an email from La La Land saying the LP has been shipped!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Forgot to mention it earlier, but I finally went ahead and ordered the official soundtrack CD for the Star Trek orchestral show that I saw on tour last year. Same orchestra and conductor, with all of the tracks they played in the order they played them at the show I saw. It'll make a nice souvenir.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Forgot to mention it earlier, but I finally went ahead and ordered the official soundtrack CD for the Star Trek orchestral show that I saw on tour last year. Same orchestra and conductor, with all of the tracks they played in the order they played them at the show I saw. It'll make a nice souvenir.

Is this the same show that would've played Atlanta as well? I wanted to attend.
Is there a link for ordering the soundtrack too?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It should be, I think it's the same selection at every show. The disc was only available at the official site so I think I got killed on shipping. It was on the Star Trek Ultimate Voyage site but appears to be gone now - maybe check eBay?

I really enjoyed the concert. The video portion wasn't that impressive but you're not there for the movie clips, you're there for gje orchestra and they were great! I'm not ashamed to admit that I was moved to tears a couple times.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't considered the Mondo vinyl version of the Star Trek 2 soundtrack. But if I get a turntable, I think I might have to. What I wasn't sure about is what the content difference is between the CD from Retrograde Records and the LP. The description of the LP states Mike Mattesino, Neil Bulk and Lukas Kendall was involved, familiar names. :). It looks like it could be the same source as the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks