What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Woah, Neil. I haven't been keeping up with current events. (immersing myself in Alien music, collecting all the CD's that comprised the filmed version of the Alien score.:) )

So from what I'm reading of the release today, the TOS material are some newly discovered elements that sound better then those on the TOS Set, from all three seasons plus the Love Scene track from Mullendore. That is some pretty cool news! That's almost unbelievable! Always great to get more Mullendore. But it sounds like the real find are the tracks for TAS. That's probably even more amazing if it was thought lost. I'll be curious how those sound.

Then another track from The Motion Picture and the end track from Wrath of Khan. All these are sounding to me like a great addendum to the TOS box set, the three disc TMP set and the WOK set! :)

it would probably be too prohibitive to have remastered the TOS box set with the new materials considering so many own that now. To repurchase the set would be difficult for most but the most ardent.

The TNG stuff I'm not as into as of yet. I still have to dig into that massive Ron Jones set. But it will be nice for a more complete collection for that series and the rest of the spin-offs.

I guess that's more money to spend. It's really terrific that all this material is becoming available finally. Thanks for the hard work Neil. Must have been like a dream come true for you. Perhaps its not a dream. Now we need those Bond scores.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Woah, Neil. I haven't been keeping up with current events. (immersing myself in Alien music, collecting all the CD's that comprised the filmed version of the Alien score.:) )

So from what I'm reading of the release today, the TOS material are some newly discovered elements that sound better then those on the TOS Set, from all three seasons plus the Love Scene track from Mullendore. That is some pretty cool news! That's almost unbelievable! Always great to get more Mullendore. But it sounds like the real find are the tracks for TAS. That's probably even more amazing if it was thought lost. I'll be curious how those sound.

Then another track from The Motion Picture and the end track from Wrath of Khan. All these are sounding to me like a great addendum to the TOS box set, the three disc TMP set and the WOK set! :)

it would probably be too prohibitive to have remastered the TOS box set with the new materials considering so many own that now. To repurchase the set would be difficult for most but the most ardent.

The TNG stuff I'm not as into as of yet. I still have to dig into that massive Ron Jones set. But it will be nice for a more complete collection for that series and the rest of the spin-offs.

I guess that's more money to spend. It's really terrific that all this material is becoming available finally. Thanks for the hard work Neil. Must have been like a dream come true for you. Perhaps its not a dream. Now we need those Bond scores.

Agreed! Expanded scores of the bonds would be fantastic!

The animated series cues is a nice inclusion! I like the main theme!!!

I'll be listening to the voyage home today. 30 years!!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Isn't the Intrada the only thing you need? Unless you're counting Freud and the Gerhardt recording of Hanson's 2nd Symphony, both which are readily available.

But it sounds like the real find are the tracks for TAS. That's probably even more amazing if it was thought lost. I'll be curious how those sound.
The scoring masters are still lost. Mike Matessino and I worked on restoring the full length music cues using the edited and potted music stems from as many episodes as we could find. It was a grueling process, but the end result is surprising.

That was never an option. This new set does two things. One, it serves as a nice addendum to the box set and second, it works as a great sampler for those who don't have the box set or don't know TOS music that well.

It's really terrific that all this material is becoming available finally. Thanks for the hard work Neil. Must have been like a dream come true for you. Perhaps its not a dream. Now we need those Bond scores.
It was nice to work on TOS again. I didn't think that would happen. As mentioned TAS was difficult. It was the hardest I've ever worked for 30 minutes of music, but I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the set.

Neil

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply Neil. Yes, I just recieved the Intrada Alien, Gerhardt/Hanson Great American Composers and Freud CD's. I'm amazed I was able to collect all three.

I get it this new Star Trek box set would serve as a sampler. I'll be looking forward to listening to your hard work.

Travis, I never thought of collecting Jurrasic Park, so this is very temping news. I just might have to add this to the cart as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to the podcast. One thing discussed was the Batman soundtracks. I had a look at the La La Land site and see the set with the Elfman scores for the 89 and 92 films. I've never collected Batman, might do that. Same with the Williams very expensive Superman set.

I read that StarTrek.com article Neil. Thanks for that. I had to look up what a stem is. After reading that and then hearing you explain it in the podcast, then in the article, explains it further. But I'm surprised those stems exist for TAS, but not the actual first generation recordings. I listened to one sample track from TAS, but I stopped. I want to wait for the CD and hear it on a proper sound system.

In both venues, there wasn't any discussion of the TOS music in this set. I had read some of the comments on the film score monthly forums. I guess there isn't really anything to add, except that it's just tracks that are from a better source. Plus the missing Mullendore track. I was just wondering if there was more to the story. Were they hidden under a bed over at GNP's offices? :)

Well, can't wait to get my copy of this new set.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
In both venues, there wasn't any discussion of the TOS music in this set. I had read some of the comments on the film score monthly forums. I guess there isn't really anything to add, except that it's just tracks that are from a better source. Plus the missing Mullendore track. I was just wondering if there was more to the story. Were they hidden under a bed over at GNP's offices? :)
The tapes were found elsewhere. GNP didn't have them. We were stunned when they turned up. This was some time in late 2013, early 2014. And we're happy to have them on this new release. If you have the TOS box, it's easy to put these in iTunes and have a better sounding set. If you don't have the TOS set, these cues work as a great sampler and an enjoyable overview of the show.

The Mullendore season 1 library cue is the one thing we've been unable to locate on tape. We pulled it from the music stem from Court-Martial.

Between the TOS box and this new collection, that should be the last word on original series Star Trek music.

Neil

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. I had forgotten you mentioned the Court Martial stems.

I do plan to insert the new TOS tracks into the TOS box set in iTunes. :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you just want the Williams Superman stuff, the Rhino is a perfectly acceptable alternative to the OOP FilmScoreMonthly box. Even if it does come from 2nd and occassionally 3rd generation elements.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joel. I'll check out that Rhino Superman.

Cool to see that image of the Shore Leave tape. It reminded me of why the tracks start with the M.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I just pulled the trigger on the ST 50th Set and Enterprise V2. I couldn't justify adding anything else to the order, but I have an ongoing list I'm going to slowly pick away at over time. The next purchases will likely be in January and will be the Justice League set and Jurassic Park.

I may wait until the first Voyager set is released and then lump all of it together. Now all I need to do is find a good external hard drive to save all the music (and figure out how to sync/unsync...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Thank you for this unexpected and awesome collection. I just got mine and read the full track list for the first time (saved the surprise until after I had it.) This will be one helluva listen and... wait a tic! Captain, hold your horse! Where is Mr. Data whistling "Pop Goes the Weasel"?! As regurgitated needlessly by the episode "Shades of Gray"!

OMG Trek cannot be complete without this! I demand recompense for this perceived slight on my part! I demand a "Data Whistles Ethel Merman Showtunes in the Shower" box set immediately!

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I confess...I ordered last Tuesday. My order still hasn't been shipped. I know it's the holidays and they got bombed with orders and I am trying my best to be patient.

But I want this, especially since LaLaLand is closed next week through the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks