What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I will probably just get the TMP director's cut and VI. I have the I - IV box set and I don't need to see V again.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
There are at least three different cuts of the film - the original theatrical version, the “home video version” that appeared on VHS and Laserdisc, and the “special collector’s edition” that appeared on the DVD. The VHS and DVD versions are very similar. I personally prefer the added scenes on the VHS version without the flash frames added to the interrogation scene on the DVD - Meyer in his commentary said he added them for clarity but I don’t think it was necessary, and it breaks the momentum of that scene’s brutal mind meld.
I had the VHS then the collector’s edition DVD and don’t remember the differences so they must have been subtle enough for me not to catch them.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It won’t be the cut you saw on VHS if it’s the Director’s Cut that was on the DVD release in 2004.

Eww… I supposed I had been watching a dvd of the regular home version because I definitely don’t remember the flash frames added to the mind meld scene. That absolutely kills the suspense of the scene.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Eww… I supposed I had been watching a dvd of the regular home version because I definitely don’t remember the flash frames added to the mind meld scene. That absolutely kills the suspense of the scene.
The laserdisc of the film didn’t have those flash scenes during the mind meld, and the DVD has them, at least in the 2 disc collector’s edition. I see those flashes as helpful to the viewer that may have forgotten who is who. I can take or leave them.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I currently own Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact (favourite) on blu ray so will upgrade those. Looking forward to the new cut of TMP on 4k disc as this will be my first viewing since its theatrical release.

Britton

Screenwriter
BONG!!!

While it's fun seeing Rene Auberjonois in a different role I am not a fan of the Scooby-Doo "It's Colonel West!" reveal. Klingons and Humans conspired together so why wouldn't the assassin be an actual Klingon?

The first home video cut was the one that was on the DVD release in 1999. I remember that was non-anamorphic and pretty much a laserdisc port. No extras either.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I waited on buying that initial 4-pack sort of figuring this would happen.

As much as I prefer the Director's Cut of ST: TMP, the question I have is, will the theatrical cut be included, or do you need to get the 4-pack for that edition? It sort of seems, according to the artwork, it's one or the other.
I went in another direction. Bought the streaming versions of all 10 films on iTunes for $35. The first four have since upgraded to 4K, and the remaining 6 should do the same as they become available. I will then just pick up the streaming version of The Motion Picture Director's Cut when it's on sale. No worrying about how Paramount will bundle them, and I really don't need these on physical media anyway.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I went in another direction. Bought the streaming versions of all 10 films on iTunes for $35. The first four have since upgraded to 4K, and the remaining 6 should do the same as they become available. I will then just pick up the streaming version of The Motion Picture Director's Cut when it's on sale. No worrying about how Paramount will bundle them, and I really don't need these on physical media anyway.

I bought the iTunes set too and mine also have been updating. I still buy the discs too. These are essential films to buy on disc for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As some of you have said, if the releases of Star Trek V and VI are separates as well as Star Trek TMP DE as a separate, I’ll likely pick them up as separates to add to the first 4 film box set.

We’ll see what happens as we get closer to September.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The first home video cut was the one that was on the DVD release in 1999. I remember that was non-anamorphic and pretty much a laserdisc port. No extras either.
I definitely had the 1999 DVD version, although I could have sworn that it was an anamorphic re-release. That was a number of years ago, though, so I suppose it wasn't.

I don't mind the Scooby Doo reveal.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If we're not going to get box sets to supplement last year's box, I'd actually welcome individual steelbook releases for each film.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m a little annoyed because I remember hearing that the next “set” would be V, VI and Generations. I was game to have two box sets that went up to the 7th film (I’m in the minority who really liked that one), but now they’re releasing a I-VI box set, or I can buy V and VI individually. Ugh! I’m gonna have to think upon this.

Also really wanted both cuts of TMP. Well, really I’d like all THREE cuts but I guess we’ll never see that other cut again which is what I grew up on.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I’m a little annoyed because I remember hearing that the next “set” would be V, VI and Generations. I was game to have two box sets that went up to the 7th film (I’m in the minority who really liked that one), but now they’re releasing a I-VI box set, or I can buy V and VI individually. Ugh! I’m gonna have to think upon this.
Was it ever actually confirmed Generations was the third film to be included? I know that was the speculation, but I never bought it since Generations is a TNG film no matter how much you squint, tilt your head and want to believe it's not.

V, VI and this version of TMP makes much more sense to me. Always has and always will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks