What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That insignia shaped vinyl record single of the original theme looks cool!

I didn't mention it earlier but I've had the Beyond score for a couple weeks now and it's fantastic. I think it might be my favorite of the Giacchino scores. I love the way he rearranges and reuses themes from the first two reboots in addition to the new bits. The piano-lined take that plays during the captain's log montage is beautiful.

The more I think about Beyond, the more excited I get for the eventually Blu-ray. I love everything about the movie and my only nitpick is that I think the final battle at Yorktown goes on unnecessarily long - the story's over but punches are still being thrown. Trim 5-10 mins and it's a better movie, and probably a substantially cheaper one too. Nonetheless, all is forgiven listening to the score.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That insignia shaped vinyl record single of the original theme looks cool!

I didn't mention it earlier but I've had the Beyond score for a couple weeks now and it's fantastic. I think it might be my favorite of the Giacchino scores. I love the way he rearranges and reuses themes from the first two reboots in addition to the new bits. The piano-lined take that plays during the captain's log montage is beautiful.

The more I think about Beyond, the more excited I get for the eventually Blu-ray. I love everything about the movie and my only nitpick is that I think the final battle at Yorktown goes on unnecessarily long - the story's over but punches are still being thrown. Trim 5-10 mins and it's a better movie, and probably a substantially cheaper one too. Nonetheless, all is forgiven listening to the score.

Love the score for beyond as well! I think beyond is a great Star Trek movie. This is the movie I wanted instead of into darkness!!!
Looking forward to the blu Ray!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If Neil S Bulk is still reading, Dances with Wolves is a soundtrack I saw that you're involved with in a new 2 CD set. Sorry to go off topic a bit. I think it's one of John Berry's best scores. I only have the 1990 release, so this was interesting news to read that there is a new release. I just tried to order it along with the Ron Jones set, but it said pre-order. The La La Land site says its out now. At any rate, it's a set I'll want to grab. I still hope you get to work on the entire Bond film series scores.

It was a huge project and a ton of work. The score is a masterpiece.

It's available here: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/DancesWithWolves.html

Neil

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil, I got my Dances with Wolves copy last week and finally had a chance to listen to the entire set yesterday. The big surprise is the radio promo piece. I haven't read the liner notes yet, so I am curious to learn why that was done. Overall it's a terrific release and thanks for the effort to release it! This is terrific to hear the entirety. I love the Barry style, I can hear Bond in there, especially The Living Daylights.

Back to the world of Star Trek, I finally got the Ron Jones set last week as well and the DS9 and TNG sets. Lots of discs to listen to! So the Wolves set was a manageable one to start with.

Last edited:

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Filmmaker Shem von Schroeck has produced a documentary on Sol Kaplan's score for "The Doomsday Machine." Link courtesy of Lukas Kendall at the Film Score Monthly message board.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've just gotten word that my fiance purchased the TOS 15- disc set for me for a future present. And by word, I mean, I told her it was something I was thinking about buying and then said yes when she asked if she could buy it for me as a future gift. So I have no idea if it'll be gifted to me on my birthday or for the holidays or what, but at some point, that beautiful box set will be mine!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I've just gotten word that my fiance purchased the TOS 15- disc set for me for a future present. And by word, I mean, I told her it was something I was thinking about buying and then said yes when she asked if she could buy it for me as a future gift. So I have no idea if it'll be gifted to me on my birthday or for the holidays or what, but at some point, that beautiful box set will be mine!

You are going to love it - La-La Land's work on this set is just terrific.

For some reason I decided to see what my Trek score collection looked like together, so I laid it out on my home office floor - I had more than I expected (and I left out a couple of my cassette tapes) - but I think I am enjoying Trek music more this year than at any time before (possibly because I have so much of it to listen to now :) )

TrekScoreCollection.JPG

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
You are going to love it - La-La Land's work on this set is just terrific.

For some reason I decided to see what my Trek score collection looked like together, so I laid it out on my home office floor - I had more than I expected (and I left out a couple of my cassette tapes) - but I think I am enjoying Trek music more this year than at any time before (possibly because I have so much of it to listen to now :) )

View attachment 33948
Nicely done!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice collection Neil! I have most of those too. I missed out on the expanded 2009 film score. And I see a few discs I need to get still! :)

Josh, I'll echo what Neil said, you're gonna love the La La Land TOS set. I don't know how to put this. I know you said your fiancée will be picking up the TOS soundtrack set for you. It's a limited run of 5000 or 6000 copies. I didn't jump on the 2009 expanded score set and missed it. Partly because I am not a big fan of the re-boot films, but I kind of wished I did now. So I've become more quick about grabbing sets I know I want to have.

It seems you are probably safe as I don't think I've heard anything about the TOS sets getting close to sold out yet. It's not an inexpensive set, so not everyone will be willing to grab it.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Nice collection Neil! I have most of those too. I missed out on the expanded 2009 film score. And I see a few discs I need to get still! :)

Josh, I'll echo what Neil said, you're gonna love the La La Land TOS set. I don't know how to put this. I know you said your fiancée will be picking up the TOS soundtrack set for you. It's a limited run of 5000 or 6000 copies. I didn't jump on the 2009 expanded score set and missed it. Partly because I am not a big fan of the re-boot films, but I kind of wished I did now. So I've become more quick about grabbing sets I know I want to have.

It seems you are probably safe as I don't think I've heard anything about the TOS sets getting close to sold out yet. It's not an inexpensive set, so not everyone will be willing to grab it.

The TOS collection has given me more hours of happiness than I can express in words.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've had the TOS set for a few years now and I don't think I've made it through each disc yet. I start and stop depending on what I feel like. It is a fantastic set, though. The same goes for the Ron Jones TNG set. I listen to early S1 regularly and then skip forward to "The Defector"...the best non-BoBW score of the series, IMHO.

Two weeks til Enterprise V2. I'm going to do a big splurge order with that, Killing Joke, Bad Blood/JL vs. Teen Titans and maybe Justice League.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

She ordered it, so I'm safe :) The box arrived yesterday, but was then safely hidden away from my prying eyes. I'll get it as a gift from some TBA holiday, maybe Christmas, maybe my next birthday, she's probably going to hold onto it until she thinks I've forgotten all about it and then surprise me with it. But it's at least in our house, so I can wait on when I actually get it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY the LaLaLand cds from Amazon. The ones who have it there are scammers selling for 2-4x what you could get it from the label itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks