What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. It's unfortunate the site doesn't allow the interview to be downloaded as far as I can tell. Would prefer to put it in my iPod to listen to in the car on my commute.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
LLL recently shared a little more detail about some upcoming releases (over at FilmScoreMonthly): Some Trek release details are included (bolded) - Yay!

Coming this Summer

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES Vol 4 (includes last of the first 65 episodes plus ARKHAM ARCHIVES -- remaining missing odds and ends from other volumes)

STAR TREK VOYAGER -- 4 CD SET

THE X-FILES VOLUME 3 -- 4 disc set

Coming this September

STAR TREK 50TH ANNIVERSARY 3 DISC SET

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE VOL 2

This is a small sampling of what La La Land has in store for the rest of 2016.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Neil. It's unfortunate the site doesn't allow the interview to be downloaded as far as I can tell. Would prefer to put it in my iPod to listen to in the car on my commute.

Nelson, I did get it to download to my podcast feed through iTunes. Does that help at all? The timestamp is this past Sunday.

LLL recently shared a little more detail about some upcoming releases (over at FilmScoreMonthly): Some Trek release details are included (bolded) - Yay!

Coming this Summer

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES Vol 4 (includes last of the first 65 episodes plus ARKHAM ARCHIVES -- remaining missing odds and ends from other volumes)

STAR TREK VOYAGER -- 4 CD SET

THE X-FILES VOLUME 3 -- 4 disc set

Coming this September

STAR TREK 50TH ANNIVERSARY 3 DISC SET

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE VOL 2

This is a small sampling of what La La Land has in store for the rest of 2016.

So I guess I need to build in a budget line item for Trek CD's. Good to know (and thanks for the heads up, Neil!).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

That's great you got the interview to your podcast in iTunes. It didn't occur to me to chase it that way. I don't have a podcast feed, but I must be able to find this interview there. That's a great clue, thank you!

And yeah, more Star Trek CDs to collect! Thanks Neil. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You're welcome, Nelson! If nothing else, you should be able to find the episode in iTunes and download that by itself. My iTouch downloaded it and it showed up in iTunes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Coming this Summer

Not to go too far off topic but have they released all the music from Batman: The Animated Series or just pieces from all the episodes?

Also, hooray for The X-Files: Volume 3! :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Not to go too far off topic but have they released all the music from Batman: The Animated Series or just pieces from all the episodes?

Also, hooray for The X-Files: Volume 3! :)

I don't have all the volumes, but there have been three sets so far and judging by the track listings, when they present music from an episodes, it has to be everything they could get. Here's a sampling from disc one of the four-disc set from Vol 2:

DISC ONE

1. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES Main Title (Danny Elfman) 1:05
Beware The Gray Ghost - Carl Swander Johnson

1. Beware the Gray Ghost 0:54
  2. Simon Trent 1:47
  3. Trent Meets Batman* / Trent Runs 1:33
  4. He Runs But He Can't Hide* 0:36
  5. Trent Helps Batman* 0:55
  6. Lethal Toys* / The Ghost Saves Batman 1:25
  7. Toy Car Chase* 0:43
  8. Gray Ghost's Shrine / Mistaken Identity 0:46
  9. Twisted Ted* / Up in Smoke 1:36
  10. Bruce's Hero* 0:31
Beware The Gray Ghost - Bonus Track:

1. Gray Ghost Suite 1:24
The Cat And The Claw, Part I -
Harvey R. Cohen, Wayne Coster, Shirley Walker

1. The Catwoman (S. Walker) 4:51
  2. Riding the Truck* (W. Coster) 1:01
  3. Multigon International (W. Coster) 0:18
  4. Introducing Red Claw (H. Cohen) / A Word With the Boss
    (W. Coster) 0:55
  5. Catwoman at Multigon H.Q. (S. Walker) / Cats in the Office (S. Walker) (Features "Ode to Joy" By L. Beethoven) 1:31
  6. Batman Rescues Catwoman* (H. Cohen) / Lovers or Enemies (W. Coster) 3:33
  7. Who Will Save You? 0:30
The Cat And The Claw, Part II - Harvey R. Cohen\

1. The Cat and the Claw 0:44
  2. The Train* 1:59
  3. Bruce Wayne's Chaperone / A Bumpy Ride 1:57
  4. Alley Cat* / Catwoman Strikes* 3:30
  5. Bat Draft* 2:14
  6. The Fallen Resort* 0:57
  7. More Than You'll Ever Know* 0:46
The Cat And The Claw - Bonus Tracks:

1. String Quartet (W. Coster) 1:01
  2. Ode to Joy (Composed By L. Beethoven;
    Arranged by Shirley Walker) 0:10
  3. Introducing Red Claw (Alternate) (H. Cohen) 0:39
  4. Ode to Joy Alternates (Composed By L. Beethoven;
    Arranged By Shirley Walker) 0:28
Nothing To Fear - Shirley Walker

1. Nothing to Fear 0:43
  2. Machine Gun / The Scarecrow Arrives 1:42
  3. The Vault** / Sprinklers 3:22
  4. Scarecrow's Hideout 0:22
  5. Scarecrow's Backstory 0:35
  6. Batman's Flashback / Batman and Alfred 0:46
  7. Scarecrow Invades the Museum /
    Scarecrow's Attempt at Escape** 2:13
  8. Dirigible Flight / Fear Strikes Again / Escape and Explosion 3:22
  9. Scarecrow Discovered / Scarecrow is Captured /
    Scarecrow on a Skewer 1:54
Heart Of Ice - Todd Hayen, Shirley Walker

1. Heart of Ice 0:38
  2. The Iceman Cometh Again / Cold as Ice* 3:30
  3. Top Secret 0:57
  4. The Swift Hand of Vengeance 1:55
  5. Ice Assault / Frigid Frenzy / Alfred's Cold Remedy 2:34
  6. Arkham Asylum 0:59
Heart Of Ice - Bonus TrackS:

1. Newsbreak (Expanded) 0:44
  2. Benefit Classic 1:15
  3. Office Muzak 2:25
  4. The Iceman Cometh Again (Alternate) 2:53
  5. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES End Credits
(Extended) (Danny Elfman) 0:46

Disc One Total Time: 73:54

Here are links to all three volumes (which are ON SALE right now) :)

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) (Volume One): http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/BTASV1.html

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: VOL. 2: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET): http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/BTASV2.html

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES VOL 3: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET): http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/BTAS3.html

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Got the podcast and listened to Neil's interview. I think Osato would agree, Neil, if you're reading this thread, I hope you get your wish to do a box set of the Bond scores!

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russell
I forgot to mention this the other week.. I saw the Star Trek: Ultimate Voyage orchestral show when it was in NYC on March 5th.

Let me get the one negative comment out of the way first. There's no delicate way to say this, but...the video component sucked. They had a giant screen, but they played moments from all of the series and movies with no rhyme or reason, with the mood of the clips shown frequently being a bad mismatch for the music. (Jerry Goldsmith's majestic score for the Enterprise reveal in TMP was accompanied by footage from the "Enterprise" TV show credits. Maybe on paper that sounded clever but it doesn't work.) Mostly it felt like someone put a bunch of clips on a playlist and hit "shuffle". Many video clips were repeated too.

That said, the video isn't really the point. It would have been better if it matched better, but oh well.

On the other hand, the orchestra was fantastic. They beautifully played both familiar and more obscure score tracks. There didn't seem to be a particular order to the music selections but everything flowed. Jerry Goldsmith's various Star Trek themes were astonishingly beautiful, particularly the TMP music and the First Contact theme. The First Contact performance was a real highlight, it's always been one of my favorite bits of Trek music and they played a gorgeous rendition. Dennis McCarthy's theme from Generations was also wonderful. Only one piece of Giacchino's reboot score was played, the piece from when Kirk and McCoy are first flown on the shuttle to the Enterprise (and also excerpted during the opening title card in both reboot films) - it's one of my favorite of the new cues and I was happy to hear it. They performed for two hours, with a twenty minute intermission. I didn't check out any of the merch so no idea what they had.

So if you've got a chance to see this show, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'd just suggest going for the lesser priced tickets that don't have the best screen view, since you wouldn't be missing much there. I really liked that they played a bunch of Trek music instead of just doing one movie. I have seen some performances of classic movies with an orchestra playing the score live, and it's great for the music but less than ideal for immersion in the movie. This format with music from a variety of Trek sources worked better for me.

I saw this in Indianapolis earlier this month. I would agree with Josh's comments. The music was very good but the video was chopped up with no rhyme or reason. I would also add that we sat in the front row and that was almost too close. I think I would have enjoyed it more sitting somewhere about a third of the way back.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Star Trek beyond soundtrack is still $17, so it sits in my Amazon cart. Sometimes I look at it in my cart and listen to other Star Trek soundtracks.
Kind of just orbiting a bit and watching....

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Awesome. I have long wished that soundtrack albums would come with video showing the recording session. I love watching the conductor and orchestra; these traditional orchestral soundtracks are today's symphonies.

Agreed. Preorder price is $18 still...

I loved the footage of John Williams scoring the force awakens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks