What's new

The Official 2015 Oscar Nominations Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ejanss said:
Am I really that old enough that I'm starting to hear "They filmed Blair Witch Project for 6 bucks on a home movie camera, what an ACHIEVEMENT! The major studios are quaking in their boots...Take that, Phantom Menace!"? :P

As if often the case, major studios have no balls until an independent company tries something then they'll jump on the band wagon. I'm not sure that'll happen with BOYHOOD but every major studio followed BLAIR WITCH with their own "found footage" film. They continue to be made so I'd save BLAIR WITCH was an amazing achievement and jump started one of the biggest cash cows out there right now.

Good for Simmons. However, I wonder how many saw that clip and said to themselves that they want nothing to do with the movie.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hello, just checked in to see if anybody's on HTF while watching. Pretty sparse this year...

Glad they did Supporting Actor first, that one was a foregone conclusion. Best to get it out of the way. Glad for J. K. Simmons, one of the best character actors working today.

NPHs opening number was good, but not up to his Tony standards. But it was funny, and didn't overstay its welcome. That alone is an Oscar accomplishment compared to some of the disasters of the past (Rob Lowe & Snow White, anyone?).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah, cutting off make-up, costumes or sound effects is one thing. Foreign Language Best Picture should be held up just as high as the American Best Picture so playing music during that was just a no-no.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
TonyD said:
JK gets the first one.

Glad to see him win this. Heard him on NPR discussing the role (and his musical background,) and he seemed like a genuinely smart, nice man. I remember him from his Law & Order days and have always liked his work.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Good crop of shorts this year.

The Phone Call. Not my favorite of the bunch, but undoubtedly helped to the win by the presence of Jim Broadbent & Sally Hawkins. Seems a bit unfair to put a short with 2 Oscar nominees (winner in the case of Broadbent) up against the rest with unknown casts.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I know they moved the honorary award to a separate event to save time during broadcast, but it sure seems greats like O'Hara, Miyazaki & Belafonte deserve their full moment in the primetime sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks